Create a user lexicon or vocabulary list?

Steven MacDonald

Is there a way to create your own lexicon or vocabulary list to use as a resource?

Thanks.

Steve

• Like 1

To compile a vocab list of nouns in the Hebrew Bible for instance, follow the steps below (for verbs, or other parts of speech, repeat Step 3, and replace "Noun" with your choice).

(Note: the method below requires a tagged text and instructions given are for Mac users)

1. Open a text (i.e. for the Hebrew Bible / HMT-W4 module) by clicking the Library icon in your Toolbar, start typing HMT, then double-click "Hebrew Bible..." in your results below
  2. Click inside the search entry box
  3. To compile a list of nouns - On your Menu bar, go to Search, Enter Tag, click Noun, make any additional selections (i.e. Class, Gender) or leave blank and click OK
  4. Your search entry box should now contain [NOUN] (plus any additional selections if you made them), Hit Enter, and wait a few moments for the search to complete
  5. Next to the number of hits your search retrieved is a drop-down, click that, and select Analysis
  6. Next to Sort:, click the drop-down and select Count down, then wait a few moments
  7. You now have a Vocab List of nouns in your Hebrew Bible sorted by most frequent to least frequent with the word, its definition/gloss, and its frequency (if followed correctly, you should have 146,898 total words)
  8. You can then copy/paste the results into your favorite Word Processor or an online tool like Quizlet for study

Better or more efficient methods of producing what you want likely exist; this is just one I've used most often.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:48 AM, btovar071 said:

To compile a vocab list of nouns in the Hebrew Bible for instance, follow the steps below (for verbs, or other parts of speech,

Better or more efficient methods of producing what you want likely exist; this is just one I've used most often.

Thank you. This is better than I have, which is nothing. Appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Helen Cadogan said:

Thank you. This is better than I have, which is nothing. Appreciate it.

Glad it helped! 🙂

• 1 month later...

It did so bigly. My ducks are now lined up the way I wanted. I had nothing and you gave me a lot of something. Thanks again.