Typing Hebrew reliably in User Notes

cralford

Attempting to record observations about Hebrew texts in a User Note has been difficult because the Hebrew letters do not want to act normally with the English letters. I can use software like Scrivener to do this but would really like to keep the work flow in Accordance. Am I missing something? Are there steps to getting this to work? I am using the Apple system commands to switch the system keyboard to change my input language.  

Thoughts? 

Edited by cralford
Clarity

Opt+Shift+Cmd+H should switch to the Hebrew input keyboard.  Opt+Shift+Cmd+D should switch back to your default language.

• Like 2

This does seem to work a lot better! Is there a way of viewing the keyboard layout? I am use to using the Apple's keyboard for Hebrew. Thanks again for the help. 

Sounds like your problems were at least mostly resolved, but just to be aware of a couple of things: mixing Hebrew (or any RTL) characters with Latin (or any LTR) characters usually works okay but where you can run into very confusing and serious trouble is when so-called "neutral" characters (notably so-called Arabic digits) are added to the mix. This is a pretty intense topic but I'll leave it at that in case it helps.

Another thing I'll just mention is recently I finally took the plunge and bought and installed some stickers which overlay my keycaps, showing me the Hebrew layout. This saves having to use an on-screen keyboard. Be aware, if you're not already, that Hebrew layouts have developed over time, and there are still some non-standard ones in use, so make sure if you go this route that your stickers match your software! Wikipedia's page on Hebrew keyboard layout is helpful here. Wikipedia so often is so helpful!

• Like 1

but where you can run into very confusing and serious trouble is when so-called "neutral" characters (notably so-called Arabic digits) are added to the mix.

By neutral characters do you mean Hebrew characters that appear in LTR text such as א (an example would be NT Textual Criticism)? That is a subset of the Hebrew letters? Or does this category include all RTL Semitic characters? Perhaps I am over thinking this. 

Appreciate your input on keyboards. It would be nice to be able to standardize all the Hebrew keyboards across all software programs, but that is beyond Accordance. 

The most notable/common example of neutral ("directionless") characters are the so-called Arabic digits (0123456789). It is quite confusing that they are called Arabic, for various reasons, particularly in this discussion, since of course Arabic proper uses an RTL script!

I think modern MacOS & Windows (& even Linux) both use the same, modern Hebrew keyboard layout, so if you're on one of those operating systems, you should be okay with a similarly-updated set of key stickers. Unless Accordance is re-interpreting keys, which I think it does not (or at least has a mode in which it does not). If you'd like to use/install a non-standard Hebrew layout into one of those operating systems, that's where key stickers could be wrong for you (or if you buy key stickers for the old layouts that are still for sale!). Some of the sticker sets are transparent, with having only the Hebrew letter, and having it low, the hope being it will not overlap with the existing Latin letter printed directly on the key. These sets are 100% flexible as to layout of course!

Thank you for the clarification! There is much to learn on this subject.

If you go to Help menu -> Read Me, Accordance will open a finder window to a folder containing Accordance fonts.pdf.  This contains the keyboard layout and a lot of other useful info.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:17 AM, Silas Marrs said:

If you go to Help menu -> Read Me, Accordance will open a finder window to a folder containing Accordance fonts.pdf.  This contains the keyboard layout and a lot of other useful info.

It appears that this file is not present in my installation. Attached is a picture of what presents itself when I follow the instructions you provided.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.38.13 AM.png

It should be here https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Font/ or https://www.accordancebible.com/topical-articles/ and I reported it 

but as often Accordance don't react to my post. Very frustrating. Since 4 months they are not able to post the link. This is not a world leading behavior.

Edited by Fabian

Also for keyboard layout via Help, try the following:

Help—>Index Tab—>Hebrew—>keyboard

—Joseph

On 3/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, Silas Marrs said:

Silas, as others have indicated, I am also not finding the Accordance fonts pdf file in the Read Mes folder.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for these links. I was able to access them and the information is what I was looking for.