Dark theme bugs

ArnoldsBibleResource

Accordance v 2.2.1 (13288) (Current)
Android 9 fully updated
Samsung Galaxy Note 8

1. With dark mode on, absolutely no information displayed in Instant Display pane

Screenshot_20210304-230906_Accordance.thumb.jpg.509cbbaaea26326150f1cb06bba5f5db.jpg

----

2. With dark mode on, library entries hardly legible

Screenshot_20210305-142403_Accordance.thumb.jpg.4b6f668c9d6b1e4b30f4c76d81d1ba9a.jpg

----

Screenshot_20210305-142409_Accordance.thumb.jpg.fd1f6c5a15daaccec86488635d4fd3fb.jpg

----

Thank you,

Arnold

Hi Arnold, I believe this should be fixed for the next version. I noticed what I believe to be the same bug last week as well and fixed it.

If you know the following information, it would be helpful in confirming that it is the same bug:

1. What version of Android do you have? (Go to system Settings > About Phone and check what "Android version" is)
  2. Do you have a system dark mode enabled on your device?
  3. What "Theme" setting is your Accordance app set to use?
  4. What "Theme" options do you see on your device? You should see Light, Dark, and then either "System default" or "Set by Battery Saver"

Thanks

Edited by Matt Robertson
  • Like 1

Hi Matt, thanks.

Accordance v 2.2.1 (13288) (Current)
Android 9 fully updated
Samsung Galaxy Note 8

2. My phone display setting was night mode.

3. Acc defaults to dark mode by itself when phone is in night mode.

The resulting outcome was that 

• The ID text did not show at all.
  • Selected from the library button, library titles hardly legible.
  • However, Library Tool/Text lists selected from the open resource title were displaying perfectly fine.

I didn't know about the theme settings. Tried then changing the Settings via Text & Tool Display, but couldn't.

4. Checking theme settings now with phone in night mode (Acc then defaults to dark mode & to problems above).

• Light ~ Issues as above
  • Dark ~ Ha - issues resolved!
  • Battery Saver, it defaults to night mode and issues as above [Note: I didn't set battery saver in phone settings]

*The issues seem to appear when phone in night mode then Acc then defaults to dark mode, and also defaults to Theme Light, resulting in issues

Further checking, with phone NightMode=off

• Light ~ perfectly fine
  • Dark ~ with TextColor=defult black, then Library display fine (library list=white), however ID not legible at all
  • Dark ~ with TextColor=et to white by me as way of testing, then Library display fine; ID illegible] 
  • Battery Saver ~ perfectly fine [Note: I didn't set battery saver in phone settings]

Matt, reading back on this, not much of it (my description & grammar) makes sense to me. Please enquire.

[SAST now 09 March, 01:05]

OK perfect, this sounds like exactly the bug that I fixed already, and the fix will be available soon. The issue was a bug where the app would base some display settings on the system theme and others on the app theme. If both were Light or both were Dark then you wouldn't notice (as you described above). But if they were different then you would get weird display issues like "blank" screens, which actually was white text (the default for Dark theme) on a white background (the default for Light theme) 🥴

Should be fixed in the next update, which will be available soon!

• Like 1

The update with this fix is now available on the Google Play Store for beta testers! If you are not a beta tester yet and want to check it out, go to the Accordance app page in the Google Play Store and scroll down to the "Become a Beta Tester" button. Once it signs you up as a beta tester (should only take a few seconds) you should be able to update your app from that page just like you normally would.

If anyone who is experiencing this bug updates to the new beta version, please post on here to let me know whether the beta version fixes the issues you are seeing!

• Like 2

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the beta.

This is what I have checked:
Android8

Acc 2.2.2b1 (13383)

With phone's Night mode set to OFF (=Light mode):

Light theme; Dark theme & Battery saver all seem to be fine with

• InstantDisplay text displaying correctly
  • Library entries displaying correctly

With phone's Night mode set to ON (=Dark mode):
Light and dark themes seem to be fine with

• InstantDisplay text displaying correctly
  • Library entries displaying correctly

BatterySaver however displays 

• The "empty" ID pane (Search & Amplify are fine though), and
  • Library entries hardly eligible

Many thanks,
Arnold

PS. I was wondering what's the purpose of Battery saver - when/with which phone settings does it come into play?

Edited by ArnoldsBibleResource

55 minutes ago, ArnoldsBibleResource said:

BatterySaver however displays 

• The "empty" ID pane (Search & Amplify are fine though), and
  • Library entries hardly eligible

Ah ok I was concerned about this when you mentioned that you have night mode enabled on your Android 9 Samsung device, since Android didn't add a dark theme until Android 10...

Long story short, if you have a Samsung device on Android 9 or lower then just use "Light" or "Dark" theme in the app instead of the Battery Saver option.

Long story long:

So the idea is that if your device is using Android 10 or higher then you will have an option titled "System Default" which follows whatever the system is using. The official recommendation from Google, which I followed when we added support for Dark Theme in the Accordance Android app, is to provide an option to follow the system setting for anyone on Android 10+ and to follow the device's Battery Saver otherwise since this was how Android determined when to use dark mode before Android 10. So that's why you are seeing "Set by Battery Saver." Once you get an update to Android 10 from Samsung, you will automatically have the "System Default" option instead, which will automatically change whenever you change your system light/dark theme.

The problem, based on your description, is that Samsung must have added its own custom night mode setting before Android 10. So your device has the custom Samsung "night mode" enabled but the Batter Saver disabled, causing the Accordance app to think it should be using the Light theme while the device is changing some settings under the hood that cause it to use some Dark theme pieces (thus you get the dark theme's light text on the light theme's light background).

My recommendation for anyone with this issue on a Samsung device before Android 10 would be to just force either Light or Dark theme instead of following the Battery Saver. I may have to reconsider the "Battery Saver" option altogether...

Edited by Matt Robertson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Robertson said:

Long story short, if you have a Samsung device then just use "Light" or "Dark" theme in the app instead of the Battery Saver option.

Absolutely perfect! Doing that. Needing nothing more that the "Light" and "Dark" themes.

Many thanks,

Arnold

• Like 1