get away from the grey

marachambersreed

This is just cosmetic, but the appearance of Accordance should not be striving for a pc a la 1997.  Can you please get rid of the grey theme for all menus? Or at least give us the option when selecting themes to change the grey?

Edited by marachambersreed

I see you're using a Mac. Most of the apps I have on my Mac use a gray menu. Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking for?

Do you mean the the background color of the menus? Accordance is using the system settings there. In System Preferences/General you can set the highlight color and see that it affects Accordance menus, too.

But if you have a problem with the gray, your problem is with Apple.

Yes, there are some grey menus, but there is something off and antiquated about Accordance's look. Perhaps other adjustments in appearance would make it have more congruence with the modern mac look.  But re the grey menus: I have created a series of screenshots that are transparent instead of instead of opaque grey. When grey is used, it is a lighter shade or white.

1) the mac desktop is transparent

2) word is transparent

3) comparison of mac dictionary and accordance—note the lighter shade used by the dictionary

4) online zotero, which recently updated its look (desktop is still clunky looking) to use white

5) logos also uses white

6) the dictionary does have grey dropdown menus similar to Accordance, but even these darker grey menus have transparency, as is evident in picture—note my green logo behind the grey menu on the left

screenshot mac desktop.png

screen shot word.png

screen shot 2 desktop.png

screen shot compare dictionary & accordance.png

screen shot zotero online.png

screenshot logos.png

screenshot dictionary.png

Edited by marachambersreed
  • Like 2

Its the same. Its just not as noticeable since the Accordance toolbar is gray. If you have colored resources in the toolbar, like book covers, you can see the slight change of coloring behind the menu. This is more obvious with a darker background behind the text or the atlas.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.00.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.03.47 AM.png

While I get the concern I am reminded that I study ancient documents with this tool, quite literally thousands of years old in origin. 

That's not to say that the shovel should be old to dig up the artifacts but a well worn trusted and reliable tool is a fine thing in its own right. 

Thx

D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Λύχνις Δαν said:

While I get the concern I am reminded that I study ancient documents with this tool, quite literally thousands of years old in origin. 

That's not to say that the shovel should be old to dig up the artifacts but a well worn trusted and reliable tool is a fine thing in its own right. 

Thx

D

A "well worn trusted and reliable tool" is indeed a fine thing and the primary purpose; however, technology is a different beast. Technology is a tool that is continually improving and quickly becomes outdated and less efficient. The newer the technology, the more likely that technology is more efficient, more adept, more reliable, with better functionality. I use Accordance because it does not slow my computer down like Logos does, but when I first opened the program I was shocked to see its appearance. I had categorized it as the program best for Macs, and I anticipated its appearance to match the savvy look of a Mac. No. Then I read on Accordance's website something boasting about a classic look, and I thought to myself, hmm, someone in charge does not like change and does not realize his or her upcoming customer expects a certain look associated with good programs—like wearing a suit instead of cut offs to give a presentation. 

The functionality is the most important aspect of Accordance, but if Accordance cares about growing its user base, it should consider appearance as a factor.

I am merely pointing to one of many reasons why every student in my program uses Logos instead of Accordance.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jordan S. I tested with the black background, and the menus looked very savvy with it. I would love more transparency with the other background colors, and more tweaking of the appearance (lighter font??—it's hard for me to pin what it is) to match the look of a Mac.