Legacy Standard Bible

Dustin Battles

Glad to see this! (See attached photo.) 

Any additional information anyone knows of?

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 8.42.00 AM.png

• Like 4

316 Publishing is handling all the initial promotion. Watch the LSB website. When you see them provide a link, you can download it. 

• Like 3

Will the version be available to accordance users before then?

No. Keep watching the LSB site for an announcement.

• Like 1

I'm so excited to see that Accordance has partnered with them on this. Can't wait.

• Like 2

As a general question, i had a quick look at their web site and being on the other side of the pond, i wondered how does the lsb translation objectives differ from those of the nasb translators as the nasb 95 features prominently and nasb 2020 has just been published. 

48 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

As a general question, i had a quick look at their web site and being on the other side of the pond, i wondered how does the lsb translation objectives differ from those of the nasb translators as the nasb 95 features prominently and nasb 2020 has just been published. 

Here is a quote from the Legacy Standard Bible web site that may help answer your question.

"The Legacy Standard Bible is a translation that—at its core—seeks to be a window into the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. By translating individual words as consistently as possible within their various nuances, it allows the reader to discern the Author’s intent. In this way, the refinements in the LSB also preserve the legacy of the NASB."

Hope that helps

Gary

Thanks but it looks very similar to what nasb claim.

Since its completion in 1971, the New American Standard Bible has been widely embraced as a literal and accurate English translation because it consistently uses the formal equivalence translation philosophy. This method translates word-for-word from the original languages as much as possible

And to add to my curiosity, there is also this statement on the lsb site:

2020 Updates and Preservation

Leaders from The Lockman Foundation, Three Sixteen Publishing, and The John MacArthur Charitable Trust met to explore the idea of an update to the NASB ’95. The vision was twofold, update some of the language of the NASB, while preserving the accuracy and trustworthiness of the translation for generations to come.

because both nasb 2020 edition and lsb both appear to be from the lockman foundation.

Edited by ukfraser

I remember reading the LSB will use YHWH instead of the LORD in the OT ...

8 minutes ago, Timothy Hall said:

Yahweh specifically. See here for example.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timothy Hall said:

Hopefully only YHWH where it is YHWH - the interplay of the different names of God and the different schools of scribes is essential (from academic side anyway)

• Like 1

The LSB seems to retain the masculine readings, like the NAS 95. Here are some examples (Ro 7:4):

NAS 95

Therefore, my brethren, you also were  made to die  to the Law  through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

LSB

So, my brothers, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

NAS 20

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you also were  put to death  in regard to the Law  through the body of Christ, so that you might belong to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your collective elucidation. 
;o) 

They state their key principles in their “Preface to the Legacy Standard Bible” at https://lsbible.org/preface/: “to be true to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek,” “to be a window into the original text,” and “to render the original languages precisely.” “Translation is a tool for the church and must be done in that context so that each word of Scripture may be taught and lived.”

But if you follow the link supplied by Rick, you will see this at the beginning of Psalm 1, “The Way of the Righteous and Wicked,” this at the beginning of Psalm 2, “The Reign of Yahweh’s Anointed,” etc. I checked my Hebrew Bibles, and I don’t see these anywhere.

I started my Christian life with the 1977 NASB and used it until I learned the original languages. I would probably love the LSB. But I wish they would follow their key principles and remove these unoriginal headings. As a feature request, it would be nice if Accordance allowed users to remove unoriginal headings from all translations.

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert
Changed 1995 to 1977
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

They state their key principles in their “Preface to the Legacy Standard Bible” at https://lsbible.org/preface/: “to be true to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek,” “to be a window into the original text,” and “to render the original languages precisely.” “Translation is a tool for the church and must be done in that context so that each word of Scripture may be taught and lived.”

But if you follow the link supplied by Rick, you will see this at the beginning of Psalm 1, “The Way of the Righteous and Wicked,” this at the beginning of Psalm 2, “The Reign of Yahweh’s Anointed,” etc. I checked my Hebrew Bibles, and I don’t see these anywhere.

I started my Christian life with the 1977 NASB and used it until I learned the original languages. I would probably love the LSB. But I wish they would follow their key principles and remove these unoriginal headings. As a feature request, it would be nice if Accordance allowed users to remove unoriginal headings from all translations.

Michel

These are also found in the NT texts (see John 2 - The Wedding at Cana)

Personally I think most people will be familiar with the idea that these are later editorial helps of the translators for finding ones place in the text. Accordance has never included these in their texts despite requests for the ability to at least toggle them on and off.

Michel for your preferences Accordance is the best of the Bible software packages in this regard.

• Thanks 1

They have included an option to turn headings off on their on line reading page, presumably this not an option in their dead tree version. 

;o) 

46184F78-7D5A-4EBA-92C9-29EAED4CD1FE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael Hunt said:

Accordance has never included these in their texts despite requests for the ability to at least toggle them on and off.

2 hours ago, ukfraser said:

They have included an option to turn headings off on their on line reading page

Thanks Michael and Fraser.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:49 AM, Michael Hunt said:

Accordance has never included these in their texts despite requests for the ability to at least toggle them on and off.

Never yet

• Like 5

Oh Rick, there you go again teasing us! ;)

—Joseph

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Never yet

Im not sure that is strictly accurate. The headings in the niv are included in the translator notes and ive only just noticed, so are those in the nrsv and others where translator notes are included! (But agree, not in the text)

;o) 

8A442504-CE7E-4684-B9FD-052D86F62844.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

Let's just say that pericope headings IN THE TEXT was my #1 requested feature when asked what I'd like to see in Accordance...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Let's just say that pericope headings IN THE TEXT was my #1 requested feature when asked what I'd like to see in Accordance...

Years ago I requested the feature to put the headings in <h> </h>. And then a search filter to include or exclude them. Also for italc, capitals, red etc. 

As from the German and foreign perspective spoken: Even to change the 1422339909_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-11um13_59_11.thumb.png.85de494dfa1e94763965ae95454184b8.png

to the headings of the foreign Bibles would be helpful. This feature is able in BW and theWord. 

• Like 1

Just wondering as I read the announcement of the release today.  Is this a separate app from the already existing accordance app or is this within the accordance app?

Gary

The LSB app is a "white label" app created by us in partnership with Three Sixteen Publishing. It's completely Accordance under the hood. 

• Like 1

I assume that there is little point in Accordance users installing the app if LSB will be out on Accordance itself, however I am prompted to ask if there is any issue installing the LSB app beside Acc on any of the platforms ? I see the LSB App download link redirects to accordancebible.com/LSB.

Thx

D