Wrong verses appearing in text searches

Philip Richardson

Since yesterday I have noticed a problem with searching for verses in a number of texts (NA28 Greek NT (Sigla) and Greek NT (tagged)) and at least one English translation. So, for instance, I might search for "Rom 5:3" and Matt 1:1 pops up instead or for "Rom 7:6" and I get 1 Cor 7:21 etc., etc.! Some of the time it DOES go to the right verse but much of the time it doesn't. Other times it goes to the right passage but not the right verse (the verse I ask for is highlighted but it's a different verse that appears first at the top of the screen, but from the same passage). I've experimented with other Greek texts that I have (e.g. LXX, Philo, Pseud-T etc) and I haven't had a problem with every text. I have been using Accordance for over 10 years now and have never seen this before. Any ideas as to why this could be happening and what I could do to correct it? Thanks for your help.

Hey Philip.

Does it happen on a new Workspace?

Do you need to update Acc?

Thank you, Ricardo, for replying and sorry for not getting back to you sooner. For some reason I thought I would get an email notification if someone had replied, and I didn't. Anyway, these are good ideas but Accordance is fully up-to-date. I hadn't thought of the new Workspace idea, so just tried it – unfortunately, the same problem happens (as I mentioned, not every time I search for a verse but very often – hard to discern a pattern).

Hi Philip,

On the email notification, that is a preference in your Forum settings.

On occasion I have seen some weird things where the sigla throw alignments off. I cannot repro what you are seeing though. I am guessing you have context slider set to All.

Some basic questions then:

1. what version of Acc are you on exactly ?

2. What is the module version of NA 28 Greek NT (Sigla)

3. Is this reproducible for you ? I tried the Rom  5:3 case and it worked fine.

4. Could you provide a screen shot of an example ? I have sometimes seen issues where the Text Pane attributes (paragraphs, with space etc) can result in weird stuff.

Ok this is odd. I just tried setting the context slider to > 1 but less that A. If I think have a blank search box and hit enter it locates to Matt 1 and verse equal to the context slider value. That's clearly a bug. And this varies a bit. In the ASV with context = 4 searching for Heb I get located to Heb 1:5 not 1:4 or just where I wanted Heb 1:1. So a screenshot showing your slider setting and an example might be enlightening.

Thx

D

Hello there. Thank you so much for taking the time with all those helpful thoughts. I still didn't seem to have the email notifications set up right so didn't know about your message from Saturday – now I think I've finally got it set up right for future notifications!

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. 13.1.5

2. I'm not sure what is the module version of NA 28 Greek NT (Sigla) or how to work that out (I recently updated content, app, etc.) but it seems to be happening with other texts as well.

3. If I have it set up to only show one verse and type "Rom 5:3" I get exactly that verse (I think regardless of whether I am using a Greek NT – I have a few versions – or different English translations). If I search for multiple verses, e.g. search for "Matt 5:3; Mk 1:3: Rom 6:1" (etc); all the correct verses appear in the correct order. The issue is if I have the slider set to infinity (so to speak!). Some of the time it produces the wrong verse; sometimes the right passage with the verse highlighted but, say, "Rom 5:3" might produce the right passage (within a few verses) with the correct verse highlighted but it's not the first verse at the top of the screen. Sometimes the correct verse does appear first time. Sometimes if I hit enter again, I will get the correct verse. Other times it defaults to Matt 1:1 (as first verse in text). I've noticed another peculiarity: say I type Rom 6:7: it produces 1 Cor 2:10. So I press enter again and it refreshes but this time to 1 Cor 2:11. I press enter again and now I get 1 Cor 2:11 – I'm advancing through the wrong text even though Rom 6:7 is still the chosen verse! Here are a couple of example screen shots (I started with "Rom 5:3" and got 1 Cor 2:6". I then entered Eph 4:5 and got 1 Cor 2:7!). I was in a different book of the NT and then typed the verse entered at the top and got the results at the bottom. I've been using Accordance daily for over 10 years and never had this issue before.

Thanks so much for your help and for taking the time to answer these questions!

Eph 4v5.png

Rom 5v3.png

Ok so I went back to 13.1.5 (I usually run the latest beta) and I still could not repro this.

I don't know what is going on. It could be some text pane display setting but I don't know.

You can find the module version by clicking on the gear wheel icon and and selecting About this text....

My version of the NA28 with sigla is 2.9

A thought occurs to me. Do you have anything in the bottom verse locator box - the goto box. I don't know its official name but it is at the lower right and looks like this:

sc.jpg.d1f56ea7b8d04574bc491103ad92a9d0.jpg

Thx

D

Thank you for your patience and persistence with this. For some reason, I'm still not getting notifications of your replies by email, even though I thought I had set this up right.

Anyway, my version of the NA28 with sigla is also 2.9, but this is happening with other texts too (other Greek NT texts and English versions). I tried again and when I searched "Rom 6:7" I got 1 Cor 2:16 and in the bottom verse locator box you mention, it also shows "1 Cor 2:16" (like the "1Cor 1:13" in your image). 

So, I don't know where to go from here and if any Accordance staff team members could chip in with their thoughts?

By the way . . . this is also happening with e.g. ESV, NRSV, LXX Rahlfs Tagged, NETS (Septuagint) but not with e.g. various Hebrew Bible texts (HMT-W4, BHS tagged), Qumran Non-biblical English, Qumran Non-biblical Manuscripts, Philo Greek, Philo English, Pseudepigraph English (Charlesworth), Pseud Greek etc.

Ok, yep time for someone who knows what's going on to chime in. I'm out of ideas. It's definitely odd. The fact that it happens in more than one module would seem to point to a preference setting or some strange bug.

As to the notifications, I am seeing emails for your updates when you make them. That said when I check the Notification settings on my account it looks like I shouldn't be. Weird. Must have somehow got copied over from the old system despite what the setting says.

Thx
D

Philip, this definitely looks like something to talk to tech support about. You can reach them at 1-877-339-5855.

The number for tech support is actually 407-339-0266

Thank you everyone for your advice and the suggestion that I call the tech support number. I will assume that the last phone number supplied was the correct one! Again, thank you everyone who has responded with thoughtful questions and advice. I have always found the users of the Accordance forums to be extremely helpful.

For anyone that is still reading and might be interested (!), this is the advice I received from Tech Support in two separate emails:

"Safe Mode will provide some options to try. To get to Safe Mode first quit Accordance. Next, hold down the Option/Alt key as you open Accordance. On the window that appears check the first option, "Remove Startup Session" and launch Accordance. If the issue continues, go back to Safe Mode and check the fourth option, "Remove General Settings." This will reset minor settings and ask you to sign back in." AND:

"It may also be useful to clear the Library and Research caches. On a Mac, press your ‘option’ key as you open Accordance in order to open Accordance Safe Mode.
Please select ‘Remove startup session’, ‘Clear Library Cache’, Clear Research Cache and then launch Accordance."

I tried all the options suggested in both the emails, but the one that really made the difference was this one:

"If the issue continues, go back to Safe Mode and check the fourth option, "Remove General Settings." This will reset minor settings and ask you to sign back in." 

So far as I can tell, this has resolved the issue.

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

• Like 1

Ok that's odd. Makes me wonder what setting can cause this. Anyhow glad it's sorted

Thx

D

Thank you, "D" and thanks for your help!

• Like 1