Live Click, + Greek Bible + others

WhiteWings

A]
I'm a big Live Click fan and use it a lot in combination with my lexicons and dictionaries. Besides the wealth of information I like the way it's displayed.

On the left a narrow column with the resources that have a hit. On the right the entry of the selected resource.

Is it possible to do the same with commentaries? By that I mean displaying them like the lexicons using two columns.

B]
I have the combined resource Greek Bible (LXX + GNT) on my screen next to my Bible. When I hover over a word in the English Bible it gets highlighted in both the English and Greek Bible. But only in the NT. I tried all my LXX's but none seems to work. Is there a way to get that working.

C]
I don't like the scrolling behavior of the commentaries. Maybe there's setting to fix it?

When I scroll in my Bible I want the commentaries to scroll along. But if there is no matching commentary it stops scrolling. I don't like that. The commentary pane should be blank.

Even better would be that the commentary focusses on the verse I select.

So If I scroll and have Lev 2:3-15 displayed all that commentary should be displayed. But if I select verse  5 only commentary relating to that verse should be displayed.

D]

Is it possible to tie/link across tabs?

For example work on my main study tab and on another tab I have my 5 favorite commentaries open.

E]
Is it possible to rename books.

"Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament"  to "TWOT"

Accordance 13 on Win 10 x64

Edited by WhiteWings

8 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Is it possible to do the same with commentaries

Yes, but it requires a little bit of setup:

1) Go to your Library, select the commentaries you wish to look up, and put them in a User Group via the Right-Click or Action menu.

2) Go to Preferences -> Live Click, and make the following tweaks:

a) Ensure 'Verse Lookup' is checked

b) Set Verse Lookup to use the Research Tab

c) Check the box 'Use custom group'

d) In the custom group popup, select your new commentary user group.

Now, a Live Click on a verse reference will pull up your chosen commentary set!

Alternatively to this whole thing, but not using Live Click, is a simple Right Click -> Research -> [Commentaries] on a verse reference will do exactly what you want, but it does require some minor menu navigation.

When I hover over a word in the English Bible it gets highlighted in both the English and Greek Bible. But only in the NT.

The issue here is that English texts in the Old Testament are keyed to the Hebrew, not LXX Greek.  This can work, but it requires two things:

1) You must own the MT-LXX Interlinear (or full MT-LXX Parallel)

2) You must have open a Hebrew parallel pane in addition to your English and Greek Bible.  This way, the Hebrew pane can act as a translator, allowing the path: Key Number <-> Hebrew <-> MT-LXX <-> LXX.

image.png

So If I scroll and have Lev 2:3-15 displayed all that commentary should be displayed. But if I select verse  5 only commentary relating to that verse should be displayed.

This isn't directly possible, though there are some alternatives.  When in a parallel pane, commentaries always show the entire commentary, just scrolling to verses as possible, just like User Notes.  However, here are some alternatives:

1) If you set up your Live Click like I mentioned in question A, then your Live Click can easily tell you if a commentary has contents or not, as your User Group could contain just one commentary, and it will be blank if no results.  This would just require a click on a verse reference.

2) You could also open your commentary in a separate tab and LINK (Ctrl+Shift+L) it to your search tab.  Then, any verse searches in your search tab will also be searched in your commentary.  If you set your search results context to just be Paragraphs (Gear menu on the tool tab), then it will show just the relevant verses.  This would require new verse seaches in your tab, of course.

D]

Is it possible to tie/link across tabs?

Of course, you can tie tabs with the little down arrow menu on the tab, or a right-click on it.  In Accordance terminology, "tie" means to scroll together, and "link" means to have the same search in the entry box.

Is it possible to rename books.

"Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament"  to "TWOT"

Sorry, no, the book names are not able to be changed, though you can rename tabs and windows with the Window menu, or the tab menu I mentioned in answer D).

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, Joel Brown said:

Yes, but it requires a little bit of setup:

1) Go to your Library, select the commentaries you wish to look up, and put them in a User Group via the Right-Click or Action menu.

2) Go to Preferences -> Live Click, and make the following tweaks:

a) Ensure 'Verse Lookup' is checked

b) Set Verse Lookup to use the Research Tab

c) Check the box 'Use custom group'

d) In the custom group popup, select your new commentary user group.

Now, a Live Click on a verse reference will pull up your chosen commentary set!

Unfortunately nothing shows/opens when I click.
If I also put commentaries in my Lexicon folder the commentaries show in the results list.

They show in the same way as using the research function.

That's certainly useful but very different from using a commentary as a parallel. When configured that way commentary about a certain verse is shown. When using research it shows every commentary containing the researched word.

prefs.PNG

Edited by WhiteWings

The issue here is that English texts in the Old Testament are keyed to the Hebrew, not LXX Greek.  This can work, but it requires two things:

1) You must own the MT-LXX Interlinear (or full MT-LXX Parallel)

2) You must have open a Hebrew parallel pane in addition to your English and Greek Bible.  This way, the Hebrew pane can act as a translator, allowing the path: Key Number <-> Hebrew <-> MT-LXX <-> LXX.

image.png

https://www.accordancebible.com/?s=MT-LXX

All those are fine?

Edited by WhiteWings

Joel,
My first answer is very unclear, not to say wrong, but I can't edit.
I'll try to explain with an example.
The Bible shows Gen 1:1
My 'NLT Study Bible' commentary shows commentary on Gen 1:1

But when using Research, I have to select a word. If that word is beginning, I get many hits in all the commentaries I have installed. But those hits aren't about Genesis 1:1 but the word created.
The layout, two columns, of those many hits are exactly what I want.
If I add let Accordance search in the commentaries as if they are lexicons I get a similar layout, but much less hits. 

The reason I want that list is this. I have a few dozen commentaries but don't have space to display them all on my PC screen, and even less on my laptop.

But when the hits are displayed like 'Lexicon hits' everything is very efficient with screen space.

WhiteWings:

21 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

You'll want one of the first two results, the MT-LXX Parallel or MT-LXX Interlinear, or a collection that contains one.  The interlinear is obviously much cheaper, but only supports cross highlighting and showing the words in Interlinear.  The full Parallel tool offers much more capability in searching and analysis, and is one of the premiere resources for someone doing Hebrew-Septuagint studies.

22 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Unfortunately nothing shows/opens when I click.
If I also put commentaries in my Lexicon folder the commentaries show in the results list.

They show in the same way as using the research function.

This is working for me. Your preference page seems set up right, but it sounds like you are clicking on a word, not the verse reference itself.  Do you want to try and post a video of your process?

The only thing less ideal about this process is that you will by default get more 'general' results as well.  E.g., clicking in Genesis 1:1 will also give you any results for "Genesis 1".  You can always remove these after the fact by prepending an equals to the Live Click entry, e.g. "=Genesis 1:1"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clicking the verse works exactly as you wrote. Thanks!

The hit list shows a certain number of hits and a + to expand and see more hits?
Is there a way to show  more hits by default or in fully expanded state?

Live Click shows results using a Research tab, of which you can customize the defaults in preferences -> Reading/Research.  I believe the preference you are looking for is "Show results in full text".

Of course, you can tie tabs with the little down arrow menu on the tab, or a right-click on it.  In Accordance terminology, "tie" means to scroll together, and "link" means to have the same search in the entry box.

I guess I have to find a video explaining this because I can't get it to work properly. 
My main tab contains 2x Bible, 1x Crossref, 1x Lexicon Lookup, 1x Commentary as discussed above, 2x Bible linked to the Crossref.

I want to create an extra tab containing several cross-references. I can create an extra tab with one crossref but:

a] I have no idea how to add extra crossreferences.

b] Everything like Lexicons and Commentaries are on the new tab and when I close them, they also close on the main tab.

Right now my plan for my ideal setup is a main tab that contains a bit of everything.

A crossref tab, because no crossref module (I own) contains all refs.

A Bible tab to compare  several Bibles.

Etc.

I use Accordance for about 2 years now and know virtually nothing about it. I merely used it as a digital library but didn't even use things I'm asking about in this thread. That has to change.... 🙂

• Like 1