Miqra according to the Masorah

bdenckla

Is someone at Accordance interested in "rebooting" the idea of making a module for Miqra according to the Masorah (MAM)?

I've recently completed an export of MAM for Sefaria, E.g. here's a fun verse, Esther 9.9 that shows lots of whiz-bang features.

Hopefully MAM's existence in Sefaria would not diminish the value of also having it in Accordance.

• Like 6

Thanks for supporting Sefaria  :)

That would be great (and I do support Sefaria - very much so)

Thanks everyone for your interest.

By the way I forgot to mention that I'm volunteering to do the programming to export MAM in a format that is easily importable by Accordance.

I.e. this wouldn't take much effort on the part of Accordance, other than to help me figure out what format they need it in.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

bdenckla, I'm interested. +1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@R. Mansfield you were so helpful in merging my accounts... any chance you could help me figure out who, if anyone, would be interested in discussing my proposal for a MAM module for Accordance? Some work was done on this several years ago by @Helen Brown but my understanding is she has retired from Accordance. Mikhal Oren ז״ל worked on it also but she has, most untimely, passed away since then.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Update: Miqra According to the Masorah is now the default Tanakh on Sefaria.

Here is a PDF on my Microsoft OneDrive describing the ways in which its encoding (its HTML & Unicode) differ from Sefaria's former default Tanakh.

As I said before, I'd be glad to help "port" MAM to Accordance if there is interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I said before, I'd be glad to help "port" MAM to Accordance if there is interest.

Yes, interest here.

So I guess my question is, how can find out if there is enough user interest in MAM to make it worth it for someone inside OakTree to help me know how to format it so that it could become an Accordance module?

I guess the fact that this idea (MAM for Accordance) was once pursued inside OakTree is encouraging, but the people involved are no longer at the company (indeed, sadly, one has passed away).

how can find out if there is enough user interest in MAM

You can use a poll.  Start a new topic, and select "Poll" (see attached screenshot).  This will allow users who are interested to respond, and keep a tally.

Captured 1205.jpg

Good to know about the poll feature! Probably I'm overthinking it, but I wonder what the question(s) and choice(s) should be. Some ideas:

1. Question: Are you interested in MAM being available as an Accordance Module. Choices (1): "Yes" (I.e. lacking a "no" choice.)
  2. Question: Are you interested in MAM being available as an Accordance Module. Choices (2): Yes or No
  3. Question: Are you interested in MAM being available as an Accordance Module. Choices (3): Yes but only if it is free, Yes and I'd even be willing to pay for it, or No.

Personally, I would think: 1) Are you interested at all (Yes / No)?  2) Would you be willing to pay for it? (Yes / No)

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested in MAM: though there may someday be an Accordance edition of MAM, in the meantime, I just created an edition of MAM that shows its (extensive) documentation. (Understandably, since it is only interesting to a limited audience, none of MAM’s other editions (Wikisource, Sefaria, etc.) show its documentation.) The documentation is in modern Hebrew, but with a little help from Google Translate, I find I can usually get the gist even though I don't read Hebrew that well yet. Here's my announcement on the B-Hebrew Forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for reviving this thread! I have posted it on my list of module requests. We are looking at bringing in some Sefaria resources down the road. I’ve put in an email to them since I’m trying to get in touch with a Point of Contact there we could chat with.

We’ve established a contact at Sefaria, and we’ll begin discussions with them shortly about seeing what it would involve to bring some of their content into Accordance in the future. No ETA on an actual release yet, but we’re at least in communication with them.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...