Who would like an annual subscription to support Accordance?

lesterchua

Hi,

As a person who is concerned about the viability of such a niche software in the market place of online publishing giants, I am willing to pay for an annual subscription of say USD $100 to help maintain the work at Accordance, regardless of the pace of development of new features.

1. The subscription guarantees an income for our developers and avoid the trap of "feature bloat" that is required to justify new versions. 

2. The stable revenue would allow a better planning for staff. Revenue spikes and drops that comes and goes with sales make planning uncertain and more risky.

3. The current software that works offline is fantastic and avoids the constant "phone home" issue that many other apps have. If we have a subscription model for maintenance, it would be great if the existing software model is kept.

4. To convince takers about such a model, the subscription model can then offer free updates when new versions are released without needing to pay for the upgrade pricing.

Think about this, Accordance is the type of software where we end up with a library costing thousands or more. It would cost us far far more if the business becomes unviable and we have to rebuild the library.

I think this is one of the better ways forward, and the stability will allow Accordance to perhaps hire someone (or manys!) to get those licensing deals going! There are many requested modules that need your love and attention to push through for release!

I wonder how many think like me here.

I love Accordance, and pray that God will keep blessing this ministry!

PS: Can a forum admin help me edit the title and correct the grammar? It should read "an annual".

Edited by lesterchua
  • Thanks 1

Should this post also be turned into a poll where members can vote yes, no or not sure or... ?

(but seeing the list of feature requests, not sure it would ever suffer from bloat in the foreseeable future!)

Edited by ukfraser

What would be nice is:

1. Keep both options open - similar to Omnigroup at the present - going forward. This gives people who are hesitant at subscriptions (I seek to minimize mine) a way forward; as well, as a benefit for those who see a value in subscription model.

2. I would be interested in seeing a subscription model that offers two levels. 1) A model for the main engine updates. 2) A model which would include the resources. I can see how that might be impossible since publishers set their own conditions but it would be a great distinguishing factor over other Bible software companies.

FWIW.

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

What you’re really suggesting is a sign up to financially support Accordance, not really a subscription.

In my opinion, a business should be able to support itself. The day they can no longer do that will be the day when they’ll have to sell or sink.

I’d rather pay for my upgrade when it comes out than losing access to something once the subscription expires.

Maybe it needs to be presented differently, because you’re making it sound like “let’s all each give away $100 per year to keep a business running,” when that’s not the way any business should work.

My two cents!

Edited by Diatheke76
  • Like 4

I am strongly against any form of subscription model. I cannot easily afford new monthly commitments. What may seem reasonable to those who can easily afford it may not seem so reasonable to people in my shoes.

If you want to prayerfully send a monthly donation to Accordance, by all means do so.

Signed,

Senior citizen on a small, fixed income.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 8

Sorry, I for one would probably not go the subscription route unless forced into it. And even then I may resist and go in a different direction.

• Like 3

I am in the "no" group as well.

As a general rule I avoid subscription based software.

I have no great issue with an option of this kind being offered but I would be exceedingly unlikely to opt for it.

Thx

D

• Like 2

I agree with what Rich said at https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/27827-does-accordance-have-a-web-app/?p=147986, even though he was referring to subscribing to an Accordance web app:

“We already pay a semi-annual ‘subscription’ of sorts to upgrade Accordance regularly. It would be shocking to pay a subscription fee on top of that.”

• Like 1

I agree with what Rich said at https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/27827-does-accordance-have-a-web-app/?p=147986, even though he was referring to subscribing to an Accordance web app:

“We already pay a semi-annual ‘subscription’ of sorts to upgrade Accordance regularly. It would be shocking to pay a subscription fee on top of that.”

Ditto on that. 

Here are some additional options:

1. Become an evangelist for Accordance.

Share it online. Make videos and put them on YouTube and other social media. Participate in the Reddit discussions, Facebook discussions, etc. and help make people more aware of Accordance. I regularly refer folks to Accordance as a better option. When teaching, pull up your screen and show Accordance. Every time I do this someone says, "What's that software you were using?" Bringing Accordance 5 new users is far more helpful than giving them cash.

2. Buy stuff from them

You could take that $100 and give it to Oaktree. But.. you could also buy gift cards for your friends and "gift" them an Accordance license. Or buy a new book or commentary set.

3. Help improve it by creating user content, submitting bug reports, etc.

Why not move an old but valuable commentary into Accordance or share your user content on the Accordance Exchange.

4. Don't behave in a manner that would bring reproach on Christ or other Accordance users.

Seriously though. Let's not be like some other forums.

And I'm sure there are 20 more ways...

• Like 10

Maybe if they added more Spanish products their customer base could grow more and bring more business. As it is right now, e-sword has way more Spanish resources than Accordance. Logos became appealing to me because of their variety in their Spanish catalog. As a result, I chose to invest more on them than in Accordance. More variety may mean more business

I agree with Diatheke76 but would add German to Spanish.

Accordance is a business who has to deliver what the market wants plus take into consideration the financial aspect. 

Obviously they to not take other languages than English into consideration. So, for me the reason to buy more from Accordance is not here.

I will never pay subventions for Accordance, I prefer Soup Kitchens and the like.

I would eventually subscribe for a product, eg. a commentary for a period, because I will not invest in commentaries. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some additional options:

1. Become an evangelist for Accordance.

Share it online. Make videos and put them on YouTube and other social media. Participate in the Reddit discussions, Facebook discussions, etc. and help make people more aware of Accordance. I regularly refer folks to Accordance as a better option. When teaching, pull up your screen and show Accordance. Every time I do this someone says, "What's that software you were using?" Bringing Accordance 5 new users is far more helpful than giving them cash.

2. Buy stuff from them

You could take that $100 and give it to Oaktree. But.. you could also buy gift cards for your friends and "gift" them an Accordance license. Or buy a new book or commentary set.

3. Help improve it by creating user content, submitting bug reports, etc.

Why not move an old but valuable commentary into Accordance or share your user content on the Accordance Exchange.

4. Don't behave in a manner that would bring reproach on Christ or other Accordance users.

Seriously though. Let's not be like some other forums.

And I'm sure there are 20 more ways...

I second 2, and 4.

However, I struggle with #1 (#3 is just not possible as I do not know how to program) and normally I don't post things that lean to complaints.  

I have tried, in my own way, using the tools available to me, to be an "ambassador" for Accordance. I have sent in questions. I have asked questions, I have talked with the chat options, I have tried to reach out at least 5 times. 

Each time, I am met with crickets. I don't get the answers I am desiring, and getting anything akin to a response, it wasn't until I had to call them with a technical problem I was able to get an email address to send, yet another email, toward. That was 5 months ago and with one last follow up email, I am still waiting to hear. 

Maybe they are busy. Maybe they are trying to do all they can to just keep things afloat. I don't fault them with that. But communication, unless it is here on the forum, is not very strong. And this forum is not the place for me to post my questions. 

I too am bothered by seeing Logos showing up everywhere. I have friends who use it. I tried and their free version was way too clunky for me. Accordance is quick, powerful, and geared more for the actual languages, which is what I prefer. I believe Accordance is a better software, but their market share is not anything close, from what I have seen. Maybe I am wrong here. 

It is really hard to be willing to be an advocate for a company that does not even acknowledge when you are trying to help them out. I don't seek any payment. I don't seek any recognition. Just answer the questions, I put them on our church website, and let it ride till I interview another company that I reference on our website. 

hard pass.

It is really hard to be willing to be an advocate for a company that does not even acknowledge when you are trying to help them out. I don't seek any payment. I don't seek any recognition. Just answer the questions, I put them on our church website, and let it ride till I interview another company that I reference on our website. 

I think that is a little harsh - key accordance staff are incredibly engaged and active on this forum and also in responding to questions during the webinars (which have been an almost weekly event) - these ways allows a larger group discussion - but they aren't the world's biggest company and I imagine individual emails are harder to devote that much time on...

why don't you put up your questions here and see if the wider community helps answer them?

• Thanks 1

I think that is a little harsh - key accordance staff are incredibly engaged and active on this forum and also in responding to questions during the webinars (which have been an almost weekly event) - these ways allows a larger group discussion - but they aren't the world's biggest company and I imagine individual emails are harder to devote that much time on...

why don't you put up your questions here and see if the wider community helps answer them?

I am not trying to be harsh but just transparent hoping to encourage much more engagement especially from their offices if need be. 

I have utmost respect for the staff and I know they are very, very busy. They must be. But if that is the case, please don't just leave people, like me who are trying to help, hanging without even a sticky note to say, not at this time. 

I would have been happy with a message like that. As I said, I am not seeking any kickbacks or privledges. I just want to see Accordance succed.  

But please, say something. I went two to four months before my last email with not even a whisper. It isn't just Accordance, I have had issues with local businesses who do not return calls, emails or messages when we are trying to hire them to do work at our church. I just can't get anyone to respond.  

I love Accordance. Please don't hear me say anything but that. But if there are others, who have questions and do not want to sign up to post on a forum, to get an answer unless they actually buy the product, a quick answer is assuring, even if it is a sorry, we cannot answer, answer. 

I hope you understand what I am saying and not assuming I am just trying to be negative. Like I said, normally I do not say anything, but I really want Accordance to succeed in whatever form they go in. I love the product, and really wish them well. I encourage people to use them. I have directed as many as I can. I have set their logo, with permission, on our site as a button for people to go straight here. So I am not just being negative. 

They do almost everything right. This is just one area that bothers me. I do hope you understand. 

As far as my questions, it has been a while ago when I sent them. I can try to dig them out and if I can find them, I will post it. 

As far as my questions, it has been a while ago when I sent them. I can try to dig them out and if I can find them, I will post it. 

Jonathan, my apologies. Your questions were forwarded to me, and I said I would answer them. There were 17 questions, and many of them will take a while to answer, so I confess, I put them off. But they are still flagged in my main Accordance email inbox (as opposed to deleted or filed in a subfolder). 

I will try to get them to you this week.

And from now on, feel free to email me directly if you feel like you're not being heard. That goes for anyone: RMansfield@accordancebible.com

Jonathan, my apologies. Your questions were forwarded to me, and I said I would answer them. There were 17 questions, and many of them will take a while to answer, so I confess, I put them off. But they are still flagged in my main Accordance email inbox (as opposed to deleted or filed in a subfolder). 

I will try to get them to you this week.

R. Mansfield,

I have debated saying anything for a while as I do not want to cause issues or problems. That is not my point in this post and I am sorry if that is the case, if it was taken that way, or if it puts more pressure. 

Hearing what you are saying here, is good enough for me. Honestly, knowing that my email was received, I am good waiting longer if you need the time. I don't even mind if it was in a subfolder either  ^_^.

I just want Accordance to have as much ground game and exposure as possible. You all have been a blessing to me in my ministry and I love to direct people to you all. 

I appreciate the update, and please take the time you need. Knowing that my message was received and will be responded to, I can wait longer. 

I do apologize if this came off as hard, as that is not the purpose and I am sorry if you felt called out. That was not the plan.  

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 1

Annual subscription?

NO WAY!!!

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Just my $.02

I'm not a fan of subscriptions unless they offer some value that I could not afford otherwise. For example, I subscribe to another Bible software company even though I don't have to because I think the annual payment is worth the price.

So what would be worth the price with an Accordance subscription?

1. All you can eat where you get access to every books.

2. Collection of 10 resources (or 20 or 5 or 200 - number isn't the key, but the value) for a price that would be less than buying them at a monthly payment for a year. For example a collection resources that would cost $1,000 and I pay $20/month to get it. I lose it when I stop paying.

You get the idea.

• Like 2

Just my $.02

I'm not a fan of subscriptions unless they offer some value that I could not afford otherwise. For example, I subscribe to another Bible software company even though I don't have to because I think the annual payment is worth the price.

So what would be worth the price with an Accordance subscription?

1. All you can eat where you get access to every books.

2. Collection of 10 resources (or 20 or 5 or 200 - number isn't the key, but the value) for a price that would be less than buying them at a monthly payment for a year. For example a collection resources that would cost $1,000 and I pay $20/month to get it. I lose it when I stop paying.

You get the idea.

When I first read this topic, your point number 1 was what I had in mind as well. I was willing to pay the $60-90 for Microsoft Office 365, I would be willing to pay for this (now that I no longer pay for Microsoft  ;)

I pictured an access to all the material, and then the option to buy so we never lose it if we wish. 

Just a reminder: this discussion thread is speculative on the part of users. The company (Accordance/OakTree) has not made any plans for a subscription service.

• Like 4

Just a reminder: this discussion thread is speculative on the part of users. The company (Accordance/OakTree) has not made any plans for a subscription service.

Agree. It is just a thought and I did not and do not intend to make it look or appear that this is set in stone. Sorry. 

Agree. It is just a thought and I did not and do not intend to make it look or appear that this is set in stone. Sorry. 

Oh, none of what I said was directed at you, Jonathan, or anyone in particular. I just didn't want the discussion to spiral into a perceived understanding that we were going in the direction of subscriptions.

• Like 1