A New PDF Import

miketisdell

The current PDF import works OK as an indexing tool for searches, but has so many problems with formatting that it is nearly unusable for reading (this is especially true for documents with pictures and/or foreign languages). 

What I would like to see is

1. A PDF import tool that displays the original PDF but uses the imported text for searches. Note: this can be accomplished with many of the already built PDF libraries. Adobe's libraries are one of many options (https://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/library.html)
  2. A PDF import tool that does a much better job with the biblical languages and Arabic (only for searches, not for display).

The ability to view the original PDF but still use the search features of Accordance on those PDF's would be absolutely invaluable!

Right now, I keep a directory of all my PDF's and have to go outside of Accordance to locate a document that is found in a search because more that 50% of the documents I import are unreadable in Accordance. 

• Like 4

I use the PDF importer only for random files.

The others I open in Word (the newest) or use a another tool. Make my changes and export it as HTML filtered. But the import in Accordance for HTML lacks also a lot of  features and has some bugs.

My hope is if the import for HTML is better than I can only import it again. 

But I guess this will be for a long time only a wish. 

Fabian

I use the PDF importer only for random files.

The others I open in Word (the newest) or use a another tool. Make my changes and export it as HTML filtered. But the import in Accordance for HTML lacks also a lot of  features and has some bugs.

My hope is if the import for HTML is better than I can only import it again. 

But I guess this will be for a long time only a wish. 

Fabian

I have done that for a few of the PDF's that simply will not import properly at all. But I think that presenting the actual PDF is the best solution because even word doesn't always handle PDF imports well. 

DEVONthink is the tool for this. I mean I'm not opposed to having such a feature in Accordance, but DEVONthink is made exactly for this. I mention it just in case you haven't heard of it.

• Like 1

DEVONthink is the tool for this. I mean I'm not opposed to having such a feature in Accordance, but DEVONthink is made exactly for this. I mention it just in case you haven't heard of it.

I will take a look, but one of the primary reasons I want it in Accordance is for the research capabilities. 

• Like 1

I will take a look, but one of the primary reasons I want it in Accordance is for the research capabilities. 

Ditto!