BDAG searching GREEK ENTRY and SCRIPTURE within

Actionjackson147

A great feature for Accordance mobile, that I am actually surprised that it hasn’t been implemented, would be to be able to search in BDAG (and other lexicons) for a specific Greek entry and also a scripture reference within that Greek entry. For example in Wallace’s grammar, in the preposition chapter, he makes the point that for prepositions, in a certain scripture, you should consult how BDAG translates or describes its usage. This of course takes a long time skimming carefully through several pages of BDAG to find exactly where the scripture reference is mentioned within the entry.

For example, in Matthew 7:2 ἐν ᾧ γὰρ κρίματι κρίνετε κριθήσεσθε, καὶ ἐν ᾧ μέτρῳ μετρεῖτε μετρηθήσεται ὑμῖν.

I would like to understand how the preposition εν is used here and if BDAG mentions it by making a quick accordance search without having to skim through the entire entry. I’m sure the Mac OS version can do this, but it being such a important feature in lexicon searches, I wish this could be included in the iOS iPad version. Thank you!

• Like 2

+ 1000!

This request has been made a couple times. Maybe in 2021?

In the meantime, there is a passable workaround. Do a search in "Scripture" on the reference you're interested in (i.e., Mt 7:2). From there you can go to Ε/ε to avoid going through other hits before that. As it turns out, ἐν + Mt 7:2 isn't in BDAG, so you won't turn up any hits on that. But you get the idea.

• Like 2

I think that even the Mac OS version gives you the option to “+” add additional search criteria which also would be easier than having to learn the “code” of =,+,*, etc.

I think that even the Mac OS version gives you the option to “+” add additional search criteria which also would be easier than having to learn the “code” of =,+,*, etc.

When you triple-click on a word in NA28, for instance, Accordance does a search in two different categories, one in "Greek entry" and one in "Scripture". You can see that when you look in the results window. Unfortunately, in iOS you can only search in one category at any time. That's the limitation I'm hoping will be improved on in the iOS version. Hope springs eternal...

This is true of Android also. It would be a good enhancement for both mobile platforms it seems.

Thx

D