Searching for the root εἷς

Iconoclaste

Perhaps this question has already been addressed. But since the “Words” search option does not differentiate between εἰς and εἷς, how can one search for either the root εἷς or the root εἰς rather than having to search for both roots at the same time? Accordance does not differentiate between the two.

You need to search for an exact lexical form, using = :     =εἷς

thx

D

It seems like the two roots are differentiated by having a long dash and the number 1 and 2 after them, but this has no effect. Searching for +εἷς—1 still finds all the words with εἰς as a root. Similarly a search for +εἰς—2 finds all the words with εἷς as a root. 

Is this a bug? 

Perhaps I didn't understand what you are trying to do. I thought you wanted to find all words inflected from the εἷς or from εἰς. Are you perhaps trying just to find the lexical form ? Could you clarify ?

Thx

D

Here is a screenshot.

I am look for words that have either the root tag  εἰς or the root tag εἷς, not both. Accordance is not allowing to differentiate. 

post-33331-0-20634600-1609372542_thumb.png

Got it. hmmm.... that's seems a bit odd. Could be a bug. Doesn't work in a construct either. It just inserts εις into the ROOT element. But the search I gave you will get the result I believe you want. It's not a root search but it will distinguish the two.

Thx

D

I want a root search that distinguishes between the two. I know that the equal symbol distinguishes between the lexemes, but Accordance is not differentiating between the roots. There is a big difference between, say a noun for oneness and a verb with the preposition “into” slapped onto it. I will report it as a bug.

I am not arguing that there is no difference or that this is not a bug, but I believe an exact lex search will do the job. I am not sure why it doesn't. I have run the search that way and it excludes εἰς properly.

Thx

D

I also think it's a bug. εις-1 should be the number. εις-2 is the preposition.

The problem with using the = search is that it can't search for related words using the root.

Using +εἷς-1 and using +εἰς-2 both return the same results with the mix of both shown in @Iconoclaste's screenshot.

Using a Greek construct (e.g., using the root but excluding prepositions) doesn't get desired results either.

• Like 1

Ah so that's the issue

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Also, the root search does not distinguish between +τις and +τίς, although in this case it doesn't actually matter (is there really a difference between the two “roots”?).

I can't think of any other homophones that a Greek root search could not distinguish between. But the difference between +εἰς and +εἷς is significant.