Goldingay's First Testament translation

jakoeshall

I remember seeing somewhere that the publisher of this is not letting anyone publish it electronically ...

This is correct. But we keep trying!

• Like 1

I mean, you can read pretty much the whole thing in his OT for Everyone commentary series (I think he just did a bit of a touch-up for consistency) which we do have in Accordance. 

• Like 2

And Logos sells it. So, that tells me that Accordance isn't being honest here. 

A kind thing to do is to follow the rules of other people's spaces. Accordance understandably prefers that people not post links to competitors' merchandise on Accordance's space (and the other company's do the same thing). 

Just because one company has a given product, doesn't always mean another company can obtain it. There's a Lutheran publishing house I know that very specifically has had a policy to only use one electronic publisher for their products. That's their choice as a business even if it's a disadvantage to consumers who want their product, but not in that specific format.

Edited by mhanel

Ah… there's a rule about what link I can post? I must have missed the memo. Perhaps you can post a link to the rules since I can't seem to find them anywhere.

You are right, the subject does say First Testament, which is included in the Bible for Everyone (or whatever is called) in an awkward marriage with Wright's New Testament translation. I wouldn't necessarily care whether its the standalone "First Testament" or whether its in this combined package as I would like access to both. 

Please do. I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to broaden distribution. In my experience its usually the author who doesn't want electronic distribution, and Goldingay isn't the type to just stick with paper back versions of his books. Obviously he has other books he's authored already in the Accordance library.

• Like 2

And Logos sells it. So, that tells me that Accordance isn't being honest here. 

That seems like a bit of an unwarranted claim at best and uncharitable at the very least. Please assume that we may sometimes make mistakes before accusing us of dishonesty. 

I know for certain that there have been distribution issues with Wright's NT translation. I personally don't know the details about distribution for Goldingay's OT translation. Another vendor having it has no bearing on whether we can release it. Mark is looking into it again. If we can make it available, we will (I'd like to have it myself). There would never be an agenda to do otherwise and no reason to deceive. 

• Like 3

Are we talking about two different translations here?

Mark, working on memory and i havent gone back, i think one of the testaments was published first, then the second, then the publishers brought a combined volume of the complete bible for everyone. (It sort of makes sense that if you got one, then it makes sense to be able to get the second rather than being forced to buy it a second time in the whole bible.)

i for one would prefer the whole bible rather than just one of the testaments. 

i would be even happier if it was tagged! but im guessing that wouldnt be an option. 

edit, found it, wright first, then goldingay

https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/23918-new-old-testament-translation-coming-out/?hl=wright&do=findComment&comment=118567

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

That seems like a bit of an unwarranted claim at best and uncharitable at the very least. Please assume that we may sometimes make mistakes before accusing us of dishonesty. 

I know for certain that there have been distribution issues with Wright's NT translation. I personally don't know the details about distribution for Goldingay's OT translation. Another vendor having it has no bearing on whether we can release it. Mark is looking into it again. If we can make it available, we will (I'd like to have it myself). There would never be an agenda to do otherwise and no reason to deceive. 

And you are so right! "Dishonest" was not an appropriate word to use here. A greater transparency would be phenomenal though. Otherwise (from the outside looking in) it's hard to know what to think. 

• Like 1

I've been placed in charge of securing rights to Bible translations. So if you have any questions, just ask. We've just released the 2020 NASB since I've started working with Texts, and an update of the GNT-BYZ (this will be the 2018 edition) is in the works. More are in the pipeline. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

I've been placed in charge of securing rights to Bible translations.

Congratulations! (I hope!)

ive been doing a lot of digging and am slightly confused. 

the first testament is published by ivp. It claims to be based on the translations included in the for everyone series but has been updated. 

tom wrights new testament and the for everyone bible published by spck, (who publish the for everyone series and study books). They both claim to be based on the for everyone series but have been updated. 

all three claim to also have maps and book introductions. 

this is from a sample Of the for everyone bible i downloaded from kindle:

Old Testament translation, introductory material and glossary copyright © John Goldingay 2018 New Testament translation originally published in Great Britain in 2011

as The New Testament for Everyone. New Testament translation copyright © Nicholas Thomas Wright 2011, 2018; introductory material and glossary copyright © Nicholas Thomas Wright 2018

i cant find any reference that clearly states that the first testament published by ivp is the same translation that is included in the for everyone bible published by spck. But the preface to the kindle sample Has a very similar translation philosophy included in the first testament preface.

also in the earlier thread, it appears that ivp have commissioned there own nt translation based on the methods used by goldingay. This may explain the problem in obtaining an e-text.

personally i would prefer the whole everyone bible rather than wait for the The whole ivp one as im not sure i would notice the differences. 

Therefore there may be variants or it may be the same. Glad to see english texts are following the practices set out by the scribes of the hebrew and greek texts. Long live the digital era with all its related version and deletion issues!

happy new year!

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Congratulations! (I hope!)

ive been doing a lot of digging and am slightly confused. 

the first testament is published by ivp. It claims to be based on the translations included in the for everyone series but has been updated. 

tom wrights new testament and the for everyone bible published by spck, (who publish the for everyone series and study books). They both claim to be based on the for everyone series but have been updated. 

all three claim to also have maps and book introductions. 

this is from a sample Of the for everyone bible i downloaded from kindle:

Old Testament translation, introductory material and glossary copyright © John Goldingay 2018 New Testament translation originally published in Great Britain in 2011

as The New Testament for Everyone. New Testament translation copyright © Nicholas Thomas Wright 2011, 2018; introductory material and glossary copyright © Nicholas Thomas Wright 2018

i cant find any reference that clearly states that the first testament published by ivp is the same translation that is included in the for everyone bible published by spck. But the preface to the kindle sample Has a very similar translation philosophy included in the first testament preface.

also in the earlier thread, it appears that ivp have commissioned there own nt translation based on the methods used by goldingay. This may explain the problem in obtaining an e-text.

personally i would prefer the whole everyone bible rather than wait for the The whole ivp one as im not sure i would notice the differences. 

Therefore there may be variants or it may be the same. Glad to see english texts are following the practices set out by the scribes of the hebrew and greek texts. Long live the digital era with all its related version and deletion issues!

happy new year!

;o) 

I imagine some of the difference is british vs american english. This means there are two possible paths for obtaining rights to publish. Again, hope this can happen.

I have done a bit more digging.

There is a spoiled milks review of the first testament which includes a number of quotes and I can only see one differences when comparing the twelve genesis quotes in the review with those in the downloaded sample. 

in the review  Genesis 11 “Babel becomes Babble-on.”

in the downloaded sample it is still Babel.

so there are differences between the spck and ivp publications but from this Very limited sample, they are minimal.

edit, if anyone has the for everyone commentary On genesis, it would be interesting to know what is there as the review also links it to babylon!

edit edit but i see the for everyone series in accordance is published by Westminster John Knox Press.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1