Dr. Russell Fuller, Hebrew accents, parenthetical expressions

Bielikov

I first wish to thank Accordance for four of the best and most thrilling recent seminars, by Emmanuel Tov and Russell Fuller. Dr. Fuller's talk on Hebrew accents opened up a complete new world to me. I have been immersed in reading his book and multiple others on the topic of Hebrew accents.

Question: Out of curiosity, is there a list of all the parenthetical expressions in the Hebrew Bible? Or, is there a way to search for these in Accordance?

• Like 1

I have written a new article on parenthesis in BH (see here) and we mark them in our syntax database, easily searchable as a type of clause.

I was impressed to find your paper published by Brill, Robert. Congratulations! I had found your four-page paper and downloaded that two weeks ago. Many thanks for all you do. I will check the link you provided above.

Robert, is there an actual search engine capability to view every single parenthetical in the Hebrew Bible in your syntax database?

Thank you, Gregorio.

Indeed, there is!

post-29948-0-21326000-1608761703_thumb.png

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 2

Robert, could you please share a screenshot with a parenthetical statement labeled as such, from the Syntax? Many thanks!

Gregorio,

I did a simple clause = parenthesis search and Gen 1:2 is the first hit (I argue for this in a forthcoming FS article on the syntax of Gen 1:1-3, though this analysis of v. 2 is not novel, of course). Here is the screenshot of the result (parentheses are marked by T in the syntax: "parenThesis" -- labels are always a problem!).

post-29948-0-11310600-1608776385_thumb.png

• Like 1

I love it! Thanks Robert. I look forward to reading your paper. Wonderful.

Gregorio,

Which book by Russell Fuller are you reading about Hebrew accents? His Invitation to Biblical Hebrew Syntax?

A.D.

Gregorio,

Which book by Russell Fuller are you reading about Hebrew accents? His Invitation to Biblical Hebrew Syntax?

A.D.

Yes, his intermediate grammar.

Yes, his intermediate grammar.

For what it's worth, Elan Dresher's 1994 Language article on the accents provides a more linguistically compelling analysis than the old Wickes' dichotomy model (if that's what Fuller follows).

Dresher, Bezalel Elan. “The Prosodic Basis of the Tiberian Hebrew System of Accents.” Language 70.1 (1994): 1-52.

And for anyone interested in the details of the te'emim themselves (more than the overall system), see Yeivin's still excellent volume:

Yeivin, Israel. Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah. Trans. E. J. Revell. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1980.

Finally, there has been a great deal of work on the overall system in the last 10 years and the most recent is a thesis from South Africa that is very intriguing, by S.L. Pitcher (go here).

• Like 2

Hi Robert. First of all, thanks!

Elan Dresher's 1994 Language article -- I was able to find and download this.

Dresher, Bezalel Elan. “The Prosodic Basis of the Tiberian Hebrew System of Accents.” Language 70.1 (1994): 1-52. From this author I was able to find Hebrew System of Accents and several other papers. But I was only able to borrow this book for three weeks or so, The Prosodic Basis &c. So I will wait until I have read a lot more on the topic.

Yeivin, Israel. Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah. Trans. E. J. Revell. I was able to download several books from E. J. Revell, but not this one from my University. The title looks very interesting 

by S.L. Pitcher (go here (http://scholar.ufs.ac.za:8080/xmlui/handle/11660/9224)).  I downloaded this book and one quick comment about this many others is, how sad that so much of these books are transliterated. But what I have been able to look at so far seems very interesting.

Robert, I really appreciate your sharing these titles with us.

Merry Christmas to you and all.

Hi Robert, I got your Syntax add-on for Christmas. I am thrilled. I got quite good about using the Hebrew Construct window for searching. Now I have to learn how to use the add-on to find parenthetical expressions. I will look at the two screenshots you sent and see if I can figure these out.

Hi Robert, I looked at Genesis 31:50 in my study of accents, "no man is with us" and considered that a parenthetical statement. Am I wrong, then? It is labeled by a L in the syntax. Hope you are well.

Gregorio,

First, I'm glad you're finding the database useful

Second, that is an odd verse, with the double conditional protasis, the apodosis with an imperative, and the intervening negative clause. I had not previously identified that one as a parenthesis, but now that you've provoked me to look again (and more slowly), I think you are correct. I have re-tagged it to include a parenthesis for the next update. 

Best,

Robert

• Like 1

Robert, yes, I am enjoying the database very much and hope to come up to speed on it over the next few weeks. I am thrilled that you also see a parenthetical expression there, and that it will be included in the new update. I am so thrilled. Have a wonderful day. Shalom.