Insert Verses service broken

sdbertrand

I updated to the newest versions of macOS (11.1) and Office365 (Word 16.44) over the last 24 hours and now I can no longer use the Insert Verses service in Word.

I have been able to use the workflow in other apps with basic text editors (including Pages), but Word is no longer functioning for me.

I use this feature countless times daily (which I am especially noticing now!) so if this bug can be fixed, it would be a tremendous help in restoring Accordance to its full usefulness to me.

• Like 1

We had a similar report on Twitter. More than likely something in the Word update broke it since it's working elsewhere. 

By me it works with Word 16.45 (Insider fast) on both Macs.

Edited by Fabian

By me it works with Word 16.45 (Insider fast) on both Macs.

So, it may be specifically a MS issue that they've already fixed for their next release.

If it's not resolved soon, it can surely be overcome.

BtW, if you mostly use Word, and want to do a little prep work, you can do really cool stuff like add the same functionalities you see in Services, to a Word menu or Toolbar, using the Office scripting tool VBS. 

• Like 1

I've actually set up an OS-wide hot-key for the Service that works seemlessly for me—until this morning!

I'll check for a new Word update and see if that does the trick. 

[uPDATE: The installer isn't offering 16.45 to me yet, saying my apps are all up to date. I guess I'll need to bide my time for a bit until they release the update to me.]

Edited by sdbertrand

Do you have the App Store version? If not just use the Beta profile. (Earlier it was called Insider slow and Insider fast). 

post-32723-0-84584300-1608159948_thumb.png

After you have installed it. You can switch back to normal. Then the next update is if the normal has an update.

Edited by Fabian

An example of what it looks like to have a custom button on the toolbar in Word that inserts verses. It ends up being quicker and cleaner than the Services or the Global Accordance verse function.

post-16-0-13084600-1608186584_thumb.gif

Hmm, looks like GIFs don't play in this forum. Can play it here.

Edited by Joe Weaks

Very smooth Joe.  I presume its Word on both Mac and PC's and not just not just the PC version?  Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. I switched to the beta profile and updated to Word 16.45 (20121604) but that did not help. It is definitely a MS issue as the service action is never getting out of Word. Normally if the service runs while accordance is closed, it will start accordance. However, accordance is never initiated before the error is triggered.

Joey

Edited by JoeyD

Very smooth Joe.  I presume its Word on both Mac and PC's and not just not just the PC version?  Thanks.

Quite the opposite, Paul. This GIF demo is on my Mac. Windoze has no scripting hook for Accordance, so this only works on macOS.

For those of you having trouble with Word breaking the Services, if the problem persists after an update, I can make a new Service available that will work. Also, I can make public how to install an InsertVerses toolbar icon/keyboard shortcut within Word's own macro system as seen above.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

Quite the opposite, Paul. This GIF demo is on my Mac. Windoze has no scripting hook for Accordance, so this only works on macOS.

For those of you having trouble with Word breaking the Services, if the problem persists after an update, I can make a new Service available that will work. Also, I can make public how to install an InsertVerses toolbar icon/keyboard shortcut within Word's own macro system as seen above.

This... I would be very interested in.

Joey

Spent some time with Microsoft support... of course it's not their fault. They want to point the finger at the "3rd party app." Yet, it's not an accordance problem because as best as I can tell, no services, not even "Search with Google" will work from within Word 16.44ff. Rolling back to 16.43 solved the problem for me. I guess I'll hang out there until enough people complain and they actually raise the hood and look.

JD

Microsoft Word 16.44, the services are working for me on both my desktop and laptop both using Accordance 13.1.4 and Big Sur 11.1.

Not sure why it works for me and not others.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this issue system-wide, not just in a specific app.

This appears to be the issue. Can't recall if I shared this earlier. Any thoughts?

Joey

post-31351-0-27785500-1609168839_thumb.png

I decided to try the Beta versions of Word to hopefully jump past the issue, but I continue to get the same error message even in Word 16.46 (20123000).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to revert out of Big Sur without having to reinstall everything on my Mac?

Will Accordance be creating some new Services workflows to download and install that will try to restore these features functionally for the newest versions of macOS and Word?

By me it works still. All Big Sur public betas. Now on 11.2. Always the beta of Word. But it has some bugs. 

One field is empty and the other is filled with the ... post-32723-0-23180100-1609708095_thumb.png 

Fabian

I have been able to narrow down the issue just a bit. If I use the Service, "Acc - Query Insert Verses NKJVS" (a service I adapted to insert the NKJVS), then it works fine in Word. However, if I use the service "Acc - Insert Verses" it does not work. My suspicion is that is a problem with Word allowing the service to pick up the selected text reference. The error message generated is "There was a problem with the input to the Service." Just to test, I also use the service "Add To Music As A Spoken Track" with a selection from Word and it generates the same error. 

Thus, the problem is with Word. These same services work in Pages, Keynote and other apps. 

Good luck getting Microsoft to admit it is their fault. 

• Like 1

JoeyD, how are you able to roll back to a previous version of MS Word? I think that is my (temporarily) preferred method of dealing with this issue.

deleted... wrong information

Edited by JoeyD

It is easy to verify that the problem is between versions of macOS 11 and Word for Mac 16.44+.

It is not as others have discovered a problem with the Accordance Services.

All of the Services that programmatically pull the selection from Word in order to process it in the Workflow are failing—"Search with Google", "Lookup in Dictionary", etc., as well as "Acc - Insert Verses".

Automation is regularly breaking with macOS updates. Sandboxing and increased security comes at the expense of easy automation; it's the price we're paying for more secure systems.

I can easily provide a new Service that, rather than programmatically acting on the selection, can instead simulate a "Copy" command before proceeding. I am hesitant to do so until it looks clear no fix is coming between Apple and Microsoft. If the [insert Verses] or [insert "My Version"] Service is a critical daily function and you really need an immediate workaround, you can let me know, and I'll send you an unofficial one.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I was one of those who was experiencing this problem on macOS with Microsoft Word as of the 16.44 update in Nov. 2020. Today, I updated to MS Word 16.58 to see if the issue had been resolved and it seems to have been. My Accordance Services seem to be functioning normally in the latest Word update. I've kept a copy of the 16.43 install package downloaded to my hard drive just in case, for down the road.

(Running macOS 12.2.1, Accordance 13.3.1, and now MS Word 16.58 on a 2019 [Intel] MBP).

• Like 2