Searching for unique words

tim.mcninch

Trying to search for Hebrew words that ONLY appear in a particular range. 1x or 50x doesn't matter; I want all the hits that are exclusively found in my range. Shouldn't be too hard right?

It's the [COUNT ?] command. May you check the Help files for this. Or just replace the question mark with a number.

Edited by Fabian

You can also use two search command at once. E.g. [COUNT 5] [RANGE gen]. Search all words wich appears 5 times in Genesis. 

Or [COUNT 1-5] etc.

Edited by Fabian

You are going to want to get the lexes from the entire text you are working with in one tab. Then get the lexes from the range you specifically care about. Then subtract the first from the second, and search for that list in your desired range.

At least that's how I would start. Haven't got time to try it right now

thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

@Fabian, what I mean is, for example, I want all words that occur in Exod 15-20, but nowhere else in the Bible. So hapax legommena, yes, but also words that occur a number of times but ONLY in that range.

Edited by tim.mcninch

Ok. One possible way [Range Ex 15-20] [COUNT 1] you can see them listed in Analysis.

The other  * [Range Ex 15-20]. The asterisk is needed and then go to Analyse and sort them count up.

Edited by Fabian

Ok. One possible way [Range Ex 15-20] [COUNT 1] you can see them listed in Analysis.

The other  * [Range Ex 15-20]. The asterisk is needed and then go to Analyse and sort them count up.

The first search will give me hapax that occur in Ex 15-20; the second will give me all words that occur in Ex 15-20. But that's not quite what I'm looking for.

Shouldn't a search like this work? : ‏* ‎[RANGE Exod 15-20]‏ ‎<NOT>‏ ( ‎( * [RANGE Gen-Exod 14]‏ ) ‎<OR>‏ ‎( * [RANGE Exod 21-2 Chron]‏ ) )

It returns no results (even though [COUNT 1] [RANGE Exod 15-20] shows a number of hapax)...

The part of the Analysis is important. 

It returns no results (even though [COUNT 1] [RANGE Exod 15-20] shows a number of hapax)...

Do you mean in the Analysis you have no results or where?

Shouldn't a search like this work? : ‏* ‎[RANGE Exod 15-20]‏ ‎<NOT>‏ ( ‎( * [RANGE Gen-Exod 14]‏ ) ‎<OR>‏ ‎( * [RANGE Exod 21-2 Chron]‏ ) )

I think it is not necessary to exclude. Just only say what you want to have in. 

The part of the Analysis is important. 

Do you mean in the Analysis you have no results or where?

I think it is not necessary to exclude. Just only say what you want to have in. 

When I run the search I listed above, I get the alert: "There are no verses in the current range of the text, which fit the current search entry." So there's nothing to put in the Analysis...

If I run the * [RANGE Exod 15-20] command it gives me ALL of the words in the passage, whether or not they occur elsewhere in the Bible. I only want the words that are unique to this range—that's why I was trying to exclude hits in the rest of the Bible.

Edited by tim.mcninch

When I run the search I listed above, I get the alert: "There are no verses in the current range of the text, which fit the current search entry." So there's nothing to put in the Analysis...

If I run the * [RANGE Exod 15-20] command it gives me ALL of the words in the passage, whether or not they occur elsewhere in the Bible. I only want the words that are unique to this range—that's why I was trying to exclude hits in the rest of the Bible.

Ah ok. now I got it. Sorry I haven't you understand correct.

I have to try. But maybe another has a good idea.

Hi Tim,

I was slightly off with my plot but it is doable.

Open three tabs on the text you are using using word searches do :

In the first search for : * [RANGE all books except the one you want unique words from]

In the second search for : * [RANGE book of interest]

In the third do : [HITS second tab name] @- [HITS first tab name]

You should be able to refine this using custom ranges and going down to chapter and verse level but that's the basic plot.

I did this for Hebrews and my final tab came back with words in Hebrews that appeared nowhere else in the NT. But the same approach will work for Hebrew.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

O.K. I think I found a way. 

Text HMT

Tab 1

* [RANGE Gen - Ex 14; 21 - 2Chr]

Tab 2 

* [RANGE 15-20]

Tab 3 

[HITS from Tab 2] @-[HITS from Tab 1] and then Analyse.

חספס (חסף) to flake = 1

כֵּס (לל) throne = 1

מָן־2 (מן) what? = 1

נוה־2 (נוה) to praise = 1

עֹמֶר־2 (עמר) omer (a measure) = 6 The only one with more than one, it has 6 occurrences in Ex 15-20

ערם־1 (ערם) to make a heap = 1

צלל־2 (צלל) to sink = 1

צִנְצֶנֶת (ננ) jar = 1

צַפִּיחִת (צפח) wafers = 1

רמם־1 (רמם) to be wormy = 1

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

Yes - that's the way to do it. The @- is required. I typed it in above in my post incorrectly but what I ran was with the @-. Corrected now.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Deleted, because the content of the post it was related is changed.

Edited by Fabian

Deleted because of double post. 

Edited by Fabian

BINGO! The "@" and "@-" commands were the missing link! I had been trying to use <NOT> to accomplish @-... but that had me dealing with verse hits not word hits. Thanks for all your help Fabian and דניאל.

• Like 1