Please dump Dropbox

Wes Allen

I would be ecstatic if Accordance would dump dropbox syncing. It worked for a bit, but it's a broken system. Here's my experience today...

I just lost all the verse notes I created for this sermon because my Mac had gotten disconnected from Dropbox for some reason. So I synced, and a window popped up about reloading my session, but below it I saw the “which file to keep” dialog, which I couldn’t access with the “reload session dialog” up. So I cancelled reload session, and the comparison dialog vanished, and the notes file from my ipad became the default and erased my notes.

Here's the thing, because I work with computers and deal with issues like this with some frequency I understand I hit this issue because I didn't act the way the program expected me to act. I recognize that if I’d reloaded the session I would have probably been been able to use the comparison dialog and get my proper notes to sync.

I'm not furious, just a little disappointed (both with myself for not paying enough attention and with the current mess of a syncing system. But I and can’t imagine the frustration “normal” people have with issues like this.

• Like 8

I think the feature is built on Dropbox is old, given the fact that the way iPadOS handles storage devices and services is very different now. I personally never liked Dropbox and I welcome any push for removing any Dropbox centric feature.

So far I have not had problems with Dropbox but I am working on a windows platform. I am all for adding other options i.e. google drive, one drive, etc... but I think removing a method that is already supported would be a mistake. Note: bugs that cause a loss of data should be identified and fixed. In the very worst case a sync issue should leave a backup that can manually put back. 

I use the Dropbox sync. I'm not opposed to replacing it with some other method, but there needs to be something more than just the Wi-Fi sync. (Fwiw, I keep a couple of manual backups of the synced files so Dropbox isn't my only copy.)

• Like 1

There are often calls to replace Dropbox with something else, usually because of privacy concerns. But what would replace it? If Oak Tree built their own system, they would have to do the server side too, which is another place the system could have bugs. iCloud makes syncing simpler, but is hard to deploy to Windows and Android. Automattic used to offer the sync engine behind Simplenote to developers, but I don't see it on their website any more. Another file syncing system like Dropbox would mean writing the same sort of syncing code Accordance has now, and would probably wind up having similar bugs. If the goal is to have something that works well, fixing the existing implementation may be the best way forward.

Sync seems to be hard to get right. The iOS app Editorial, despite being the work of an unusually capable programmer, doesn't deal well with not having a constant good connection: it deletes my files or has sync conflicts with itself.

Yes! This has been requested often and I would love to see Accordance move away from Dropbox. 

• Like 4

I don't sync my Accordance work, but I would if it used iCloud. The vast majority of my apps use iCloud to sync... it is seamless and fast.  At the very least I would love to have the option to sync with iCloud.

• Like 5

This is one of the two greatest weaknesses of Accordance compared to the competition. Other is notes, which is primarily of sync issue.

• Like 1

I don't sync my Accordance work, but I would if it used iCloud. The vast majority of my apps use iCloud to sync... it is seamless and fast.  At the very least I would love to have the option to sync with iCloud.

Especially coupled with the ability to create and edit stacks on an ipad. Currently i use apple's notes that comes with ios.

And like paul, dont sync accordance. 

I synced my iPhone to Accordance to have my Papers available on my phone and it removed all my resources. I literally had to reinstall every single one of them. As for dropbox, I never used it and don’t want to. It might mess something up. I’m not taking any chances.

• Like 1

Dropbox allows users to restore a previous version or a deleted file. It has saved me from a few accidental loss of files.

I love to have Dropbox integration. But adding other syncing options are welcome.

Let me add to this not just the system of syncing needs a more reliable replacement, but what is synced needs to grow. I’d like to log into my two computers and have my Library order of books sync too. Maybe that could get added to Dropbox. It’s annoying to have to reorder books on multiple systems. You have to have both computers there to get them in the same order. Then if you have to reinstall you have to do it all over again.

• Like 6

I would welcome iCloud as an alternative sync. There are regions where Dropbox is not available.

John

I would welcome iCloud as an alternative sync. There are regions where Dropbox is not available.

The issue against using iCloud has to do with Accordance being on Windows & Android in addition to macOS and iOS/iPadOS.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, please use a different method for syncing. I use my iMac for a lot of my Accordance use, but then I also use my MacBook Air. Then I use my iPad to preach my sermon that I wrote in Papers. I have lost so many sermons because I thought it had synced and it didn't. I would like a different cloud solution. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, R. Mansfield said:

The issue against using iCloud has to do with Accordance being on Windows & Android in addition to macOS and iOS/iPadOS.

Interesting. Since Accordance started and principally caters to the Mac world, why wouldn't iCloud be the default, and any other sync/storage methods be included as options?? I say, "Get some programmers cracking on this issue!."  Really needs to be working with iCloud. I think that's where most of the user base lives anyway - Yes?

3 minutes ago, mhebert said:

Interesting. Since Accordance started and principally caters to the Mac world, why wouldn't iCloud be the default, and any other sync/storage methods be included as options?? I say, "Get some programmers cracking on this issue!."  Really needs to be working with iCloud. I think that's where most of the user base lives anyway - Yes?

The issue is that we do not principally cater to macOS. The day of Accordance focusing primarily on the Mac is nearly a decade gone by. Having said that, we are looking into other syncing technologies, but we would not use a strategy that would work exceptionally well on one platform and marginalize the other ones. 

• Like 3

I, for one, am pleased that Oak Tree is looking into other syncing technologies. I am NOT a Dropbox fan.

Bob

• Like 3

15 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

The issue is that we do not principally cater to macOS. The day of Accordance focusing primarily on the Mac is nearly a decade gone by. Having said that, we are looking into other syncing technologies, but we would not use a strategy that would work exceptionally well on one platform and marginalize the other ones. 

Totally understandable. I just believe in options. Options are a good thing when done well. I am sure you all will get the syncing stuff figured out. BTW -- Amazing software overall. I love it!

I've said this elsewhere in the past, but since it came up again today, I'll say it again. Dropbox sync is terrible. Yes, it works. Sometimes. And when it works, it works well. But when it goes wrong, it goes so, so wrong. Not worth it. I've quit dropbox entirely and use wifi sync. As bad as wifi sync is, at this point it's still better than dropbox. 

I understand wanting to keep the sync open for non Mac users also. Would it be possible to simply let iCloud be one of the sync options?

Whoa. Just noticed I'm now a new user with only one post. I guess all the old stuff is gone? Hmm. 

Edited by A. Smith

Just now, Anthony Smith said:

I understand wanting to keep the sync open for non Mac users also. Would it be possible to simply let iCloud be one of the sync options?

It becomes an issue of supporting multiple syncing options--which is not only a support issue but also extra development and added code to the software. And it creates a better experience for some users over others. Not really a good place to be. A better solution would be to have one really good syncing method that works for every platform and syncs more than what is currently synced. Stay tuned.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony Smith said:

Whoa. Just noticed I'm now a new user with only one post. I guess all the old stuff is gone? Hmm. 

DM me with info on your old account, and I can merge them. 

2 minutes ago, Anthony Smith said:

No, the admin team can reset your account. 

See