Inconsistent Text choices in Instant Details

jlm

First, thank you for the many improvements in 3.10. One of the ones I particularly appreciate is showing verses in two texts in Instant Details. However, it does not seem to function consistently. I currently have my text set to ESVS and my alternate text set to NRSVS, and usually, these two are shown in Instant Details if I tap a verse hyperlink, but not always.

• I open NRSVS to Matt. 18:21 in the upper pane. If WBC-25-NT is in the lower pane, then I get ESVS and NRSVS in Instant Details.
  • If I switch the lower pane to Eerdmans Commentary and tap the link for Matt. 18:15–17, I get ESVS and NA28-T in Instant Details (see screenshot below). These happen to be the first two texts in my library, so that may be where NA28-T is coming from.
  • If I tap the Lev. 19:17 link, I get only ESVS, which makes some sense given that it's not in NA28-T, but of course it's in NRSVS.
  • If I switch the lower pane to some User Notes and tap a hyperlink to Luke 17:4, only ESVS is shown.
  • In general, it seems that Scripture hyperlinks in user content show only one text, while hyperlinks in Tools show two (if the passage is in both Texts).

What I would expect is for the passage to be shown in both the Text and the Alternate Text (if it's present in them), regardless of what resource contains the hyperlink.

post-35131-0-67679700-1599561542_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jlm

• 3 weeks later...

jlm, this is all working for me.  Are you sure you set the same alternate text for your tools and user notes?  This is a per-resource setting, not global for the entire app.  When my notes have a different alternate text, they show both versions.

In Tools, it's now working consistently for me. Since I posted, I changed my texts to NRSVS and the Greek Bible (LXX + GNT). That's what displays for WBC-NT-25, the Eerdmans Commentary, and other resources. I suppose the Eerdmans Commentary must have had other settings, but I don't know how it would have gotten them, because it was recently purchased and installed.

User Notes are still only showing one text, but on further investigation, I find that the problem only exists for notes I imported. This is the import before 13.1.3, when I started having problems (fixed in 13.1.4). The Instant Details popup is different from that for Tools: it lacks the Context button (a nice addition), and I thought that it was also limited to one text:

post-35131-0-85874800-1601065522_thumb.jpeg

The link in Sample Notes v2 does show NRSVS and the Greek Bible. Trying to see what the difference might be, I find that my link has text, while the sample note on Matt. 3:16 does not:

post-35131-0-45961000-1601065714_thumb.jpeg

post-35131-0-50488000-1601065912_thumb.jpeg

But perhaps that's a bug, because if I tap Done in the popup to edit the link, the link disappears from part of the linked text.

Thanks for the continued report.  I see what you are saying now, that those types of links aren't showing both texts.  We'll get this fixed asap.