Update! Accordance 3.1.0 for iOS/iPadOS

R. Mansfield

Significant update! Accordance for iOS/iPadOS has been updated to version 3.1.0 bringing with it a fresh modern look, columned text, crossover highlighting, trackpad support (iPadOS) and so much MORE. 

WHAT'S NEW

Visual Improvements
  • Changed interface fonts throughout for a fresh, modern look.
  • The navigation bar and toolbars are now system themed.  This fixes day/night transitions and confirms a consistent look when combined with the status bar.
  • The top and bottom toolbar now stays a default gray, rather than tinting to the pane.
  • Adjusted panes to display more real estate, bringing 25 pixels more reading area per pane. This has certain interface side-effects:
  • Loading the first verse, or a verse with the toolbar covering it will load that verse low enough to not be obscured, possibly leaving white space at the top.
  • The location for determining the current index also accounts for the top visible line, in case the toolbar is covering.
  • The pane location has been combined with the pane title to be a single line.
  • Added a preference for whether or not pages go under the top and bottom toolbars (for maximum screen space) or not (for readability while interface is visible).
  • Added some nice padding to the edges of the About Text and About Accordance views.
  • Many layout optimizations to better support of popovers in iOS 13.
  • Cleaned up animations to show/hide everything at the same time.

Instant Details Improvements
  • A simple tap on a footnote or verse reference in a Text view will now display Instant Details (instead of a long tap).
  • Tappable Instant Details links:
  • Opens a new amplified view containing the selected verses, article, or search.
  • Certain abbreviation links will instead open in a secondary Instant Details.

Visual upgrades when drawing text
  • Visual improvements to dividers and secondary module information.
  • To help clarify the Word Info statistics, it also gets a heading, ‘- Analytics -’.
  • The expanded Instant Details word counts now link to that search.
  • For Tool and User Notes Instant Details, if the alternate hypertext is different from the primary, and both can display the verse, Accordance will show both in the Instant Details.
  • Added a new action ‘Context’ when tapping on verse links in a Tool or Tool pane, which shows the verse(s) in context.
  • The amplify action (to Tools) and amplify/context action (to Texts) will now update the contents of the other pane, if the panes are unlinked and the module is correct. This is particularly helpful to view references/lookups without losing the current place.

Searching Improvements
  • Added ability to use the TEXT command.
  • Cross highlighting between open panes. Cross Highlighting is updated when tap and holding on words to start a selection.
  • Added ability to triple-tap on text, working like the desktop triple click on a word.  This also supports modifier keys, if relevant.

iPad Support
  • Added support for better interactions with iPadOS and a magic trackpad on iOS 13.4+. Details:
  • Improved text selection interaction:
  • Simple dragging does exact character selection of text.
  • Hovering over hyperlinks, footnotes, and verse references changes to a highlight effect for the link area.
  • Added pointer interactions for Buttons that needed it.
  • Added custom interaction for the splitter view.
  • Added Cross Highlighting during hover when using iPadOS Trackpad.
  • Added the Font and Link icons to the top right side of the edit text keyboard on an iPad.

Changes
  • Page Turning
    • Now support multiple columns of text for wider panes.
    • Page Turning settings are accessed by tapping the arrow on the display settings popover, like Interlinear settings are.
    • The width is changed by the user increasing or decreasing the current number of columns. After such a change, the width is retained in case the pane width or text size changes.
  • RTL texts now display their pages and columns in RTL order, to match the flow of the text.
  • Better support of text leading when transitioning between pages.
  • Added support for displaying any Tool in a search secondary pane, not just Reference Tools. These Tools obviously never scroll together, and cannot be directly searched, but do have a Table of Contents for navigation.  They are also able to receive an Amplify action from the Instant Details of the primary pane.
    • Improved the Parallel Tool selector to include a section header for both the ‘Current Folder’ and ‘All Tools’ sections.  Now the Current Folder header includes a ‘Hide’ option for quick access to other tool folders, needed if there are many items in that folder.
  • Added improved two-finger swipe or tap-swipe back to return from an amplified view:
    • Two finger swipe now reliably works over all text, even if page turning.
    • Two finger trackpad swipe is now supported, as long as either not page turning (as this conflicts with a horizontal scroll), or is over the dead space above or below the text area.
  • Added support for save/recall of the splitter location for the additional cases:
    • Saved the splitter location on all Search views
    • Saved the splitter location when closing/opening the secondary pane.
  • Restored ability for iOS 13+ users to choose their day/night theme:
    •  This was done by adding a 13.0+ only display preference, “Match System Dark Mode”.  
    •  If enabled, the choices remain hidden and the phone matches the system choice.  
    •  If disabled, the Day/Night choices are restored and the specified theme is used instead.
  • Active Highlight menu
    • Selecting a color will enable active highlighting if it is not currently enabled.
    • Added a cancel button to disable active highlighting, which is more discoverable than the long/deep press.
  • Improved accuracy when tapping on a footnote to prevent the end of a line before a footnote from counting as a footnote.
  • Updated to new Analytics and Crash reporting tools.

Acco%203.1.0%20iPadOS.png?dl=1

• Like 5

Very nice! I'm looking forward to playing with this, but it's already a great improvement to be able to have two unrelated resources open in split panes, e.g. GNT and BDAG, or a theological work, etc. Many thanks for this version!

• Like 2

The new interface fonts are horrible. Is there a way to change or revert...?

Much preferred the previous fonts.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I have changed back to “Accordance”

Thanks for the update! Awesome to have cross highlight (hovering with iPad trackpad) and the new TEXT command.

wanna ask:

• Added ability to triple-tap on text, working like the desktop triple click on a word.  This also supports modifier keys, if relevant.

what does it mean “supports modifier keys”?

I preferred the previous fonts too. 

• Like 1

Very nice! I'm looking forward to playing with this, but it's already a great improvement to be able to have two unrelated resources open in split panes, e.g. GNT and BDAG, or a theological work, etc. Many thanks for this version!

I also like that we can have an unlinked resource in the second pane.

Is it possible to add a search box to the library window on the second pane? I can’t see a way of searching the library for a resource from the second pane.

There is a search on the primary pane, but unfortunately that doesn’t seem to show which folder the resource is in (if you use the search, not looking through the folders) so I have to search through the folders to find where a resource is, and then select it in the secondary pane.

If I’m wrong on this, please correct me!☺️

As a side note, is there a plan to have the ability to open two non text resources in the panes? I would really like to be able to open two commentaries together. ( don’t need to be linked but would be nice)

Thanks for the continued work on developing the iOS platform, especially iPadOS. It’s truly appreciated,

John

• Like 3

wanna ask:

what does it mean “supports modifier keys”?

This applies if you're using a Bluetooth keyboard. For example, triple tap a word in a key number Text to look up the original language word it represents in your default lexicon. Hold down shift on a Bluetooth keyboard and triple tap a word in a key number Text to look it up in your default dictionary.

• Like 1

Alas ... unfortunately with the 3.0.1. update I have LOST all of my highlights in two of my regular daly devotionals, even the possibility of making any additional highlights within those modules. Basically, highlighting in my devotionals is now made OBSOLETE! Also encountering very strange "misbehavior" as I attempt to make a highlight in any other module (i.e. not the whole sentence will be highlighted, yer after selecting a "Highlight Style" the highlights magically re-appears and does underline selected text)! So far, that kind of strange behavior has NEVER happened before (again, applies to all modules)!

Has anybody else encountered any similar or even same problems after the update?!

Reaching out (talking) to Tech Support unfortunately was not very successful either. I did however successfully left a voice memo  :) .

Any, help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks & blessings!

Very nice update. The multi-column text and the ability to have any tool in the parallel pane is a huge improvement. A couple questions.

Is there a way to turn off the cross-highlighting when using the iPad Magic Keyboard/Trackpad? Sometimes it’s nice but sometimes it’s distracting.

Why aren’t the column settings accessible in the All Display Settings menu? I see them in the Page Turning menu, but it seems odd that you can’t get to them in the All Display Settings. Can this be remedied? 

Thanks again for the update. Really enjoying it.

P.S. I agree with the above comments about the new interface fonts. A little too busy for my taste. I prefer a simpler, cleaner interface font.

Edited by Robb Brunansky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello there, I am a new user of accordance and I have a question, maybe someone can help me. I want to know if there is a way to select a Bible passage using just keyboard (not the mouse)? There is a hotkey to copy the text, however you have to use the mosue to select it.  

9 hours ago, marius.sabou said:

Hello there, I am a new user of accordance and I have a question, maybe someone can help me. I want to know if there is a way to select a Bible passage using just keyboard (not the mouse)? There is a hotkey to copy the text, however you have to use the mosue to select it.  

Are you doing this on the desktop app (I ask because of reference to the mouse which, though I have no iPad makes me think this is not a mobile platform question) ? If so read on.

There is support for copying a verse into a wordprocessor from the wordprocessor itself, or from Accordance. This is triggered by a hotkey while working in the wp or Acc. So I can Cmd-Opt-A and it will pop up a dialog and I can just type in the verse ref and hit enter and it will paste into my document. You'll have to set up which text it copies from using the mouse but once setup it doesn't require it.

However if you want to just copy it to the clipboard there is a copy to clipboard button but you cannot navigate to it from the keyboard, you have to use the mouse. Keyboard nav support in the Get Verses popup would be nice to add.

Thx

D