My Touch Bar Accordance Customization

Joe Weaks

I thought some might be interested to see how I have the Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro customized for Accordance.

You can find the video here.

post-16-0-83001000-1595792421_thumb.png

Once the Accordance developers get around to Touch Bar support, they will be able to do a better job, but in the meantime…

here is my public release of the preset.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 11

Do you mind sharing how you did this?

• Like 1

MUST HAVE MUST HAVE!

Please good Sir.

-dan

I NEED this!!!

When I finally get a MacBook - if it still has the Touch Bar - I really want to replicate this!

Do you recommend BetterTouchTool just for touchpad and mouse also? Is it easy?

• Like 1

I thought some might be interested to see how I have the Touch Bar on my MacBook Pro customized for Accordance.

You can find the video here.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.15.02 PM.png

Once the Accordance developers get around to Touch Bar support, they will be able to do a better job, but in the meantime…

Wow, for the first time since it's release, I want the Touch Bar! As always, very nice work, Joe!

• Like 1

Wow, very nice.  I have BetterTouchTool also. Which did you use for the video and can you give at least a brief How To?

Yes... I wrote the customizations myself using the BetterTouchTool utility which adds functionality to things like the Touch Bar, the Trackpad, and window management.

I can try and post the presets once I find a good tutorial of the simplest way to install it.

If you have BTT installed already and are feeling adventurous, let me know and I can send you the presets and we can experiment with getting it imported. I'll send you the json preset to try out if you send me an email. My address is my first and last name at gmail.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 5

Yes... I wrote the customizations myself using the BetterTouchTool utility which adds functionality to things like the Touch Bar, the Trackpad, and window management.

I can try and post the presets once I find a good tutorial of the simplest way to install it.

If you have BTT installed already, let me know and I can send you the presets and we can experiment with getting it imported.

I have BTT installed, so let me know if it's possible to import your customizations. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I also have and use BTT. I would love to use your customizations. Wow, this could be a huge help in my workflow.

• Like 2

Ditto to the above. I love BTT

I have installed BTT but a good question is have the programers ever thought of implementing this??? I am not sure how difficult these things are but I would suspect it would be a very popular mac feature..

-dan

• Like 2

I've sent the BTT preset to a few folks. Waiting to hear back on how installation went.

• Like 4

I've sent the BTT preset to a few folks. Waiting to hear back on how installation went.

Installation was a breeze! I tweaked your settings with own Accordance projects. Here's a video of the result: https://youtu.be/lmwr7GiAT54

Edited by Benjamin Gladd
  • Like 1

I installed it without any hitches at all.  Works perfectly on Accordance startup... I will need a few days to tweak Joe's presets.  He has designed such a large array of triggers that they use up the whole touch bar.  I will probably disable some that I use less often, that way I can merely enable them back on if I change my mind.  I already had a few of my own, but it was a very simple affair like 'copy url' and 'open in new pane', (actually these were BTT trackpad gestures rather than TouchBar triggers.).  Joe has clearly spent a lot of time preparing the triggers, which has saved me heaps of time.  

Thanks Joe, you are a real blessing to the Accordance community.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Glad it's useful.

I included a lot (and will add a few more) so that then any user can disable the ones they don't need, easily.

Also, you can hide the Control Strip for Accordance and that gives you a lot more space.

In the Accordance app-specific settings set the Touch Bar Configuration to "Show BetterTouchTool Touch Bar  ** Hide macOS Control Strip ** "

• Like 2

Many thanks to Joe! After receiving Joe's preset, I've successfully imported it to BTT.

Just to mention one thing:

For those who are not using English UI. The click menu item actions will not work, because it is set to click English menu items.

A solution is to use Keyboard Maestro. I've added a "Enter Tags" group to the BTT. Instead of clicking activate menu item, I set it to execute an AppleScript that will execute a Keyboard Maestro macro.

In Keyboard Maestro, I can set conditions, Keyboard Maestro will first examine whether the menu item "Search ➤ Enter Tag" exists or not. If it does, it means the UI is English. It will activate the English menu. If it does not exist, in my case, the UI is Chinese, it will activate the Chinese menu. Because I often switch the UI language in Accordance, this trick is very useful to me. (See screenshot below) Of course, I could also assign other triggers in Keyboard Maestro for the same action.

(For reasons I don't know, if I use "Search" instead of "Search ➤ Enter Tag", the condition does not work as expected)

post-32138-0-71646700-1596330050_thumb.png

Edited by martinacc
  • Like 1

Martin, I can also alter the Accordance BTT Preset to use menu item position instead of English names, if those are consistent across languages (which I would assume). That would make the triggers language agnostic.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

Many thanks to Joe! After receiving Joe's preset, I've successfully imported it to BTT.

Just to mention one thing:

For those who are not using English UI. The click menu item actions will not work, because it is set to click English menu items.

A solution is to use Keyboard Maestro. I've added a "Enter Tags" group to the BTT. Instead of clicking activate menu item, I set it to execute an AppleScript that will execute a Keyboard Maestro macro.

In Keyboard Maestro, I can set conditions, Keyboard Maestro will first examine whether the menu item "Search ➤ Enter Tag" exists or not. If it does, it means the UI is English. It will activate the English menu. If it does not exist, in my case, the UI is Chinese, it will activate the Chinese menu. Because I often switch the UI language in Accordance, this trick is very useful to me. (See screenshot below) Of course, I could also assign other triggers in Keyboard Maestro for the same action.

(For reasons I don't know, if I use "Search" instead of "Search ➤ Enter Tag", the condition does not work as expected)

attachicon.gifPasted Graphic.png

May you can share the one for Keyboard Maestro too.

Martin, I can also alter the Accordance BTT Preset to use menu item position instead of English names, if those are consistent across languages (which I would assume). That would make the triggers language agnostic.

That's simpler!

I saw you set to click the first menu item with (1), I should have thought that I might be able to use number for the path of the menu item.

May you can share the one for Keyboard Maestro too.

Hello Fabian,

since Joe said we could use just numbers for menu click, I guess Keyboard Maestro is not necessary anymore. I could send mine to you if you still want it though.

• Like 1

That's simpler!

I saw you set to click the first menu item with (1), I should have thought that I might be able to use number for the path of the menu item.

Hello Fabian,

since Joe said we could use just numbers for menu click, I guess Keyboard Maestro is not necessary anymore. I could send mine to you if you still want it though.

Thanks I have BTT. It was more for the ones which uses Keyboard Maestro.

Fabian

That's simpler!

Right, so the first module in the new Greek tab is:  (3);(1);(3);(1)

Thanks, Joe. That's very useful as long as the menu items stay unchanged. We don't need to worry about UI languages.

I have a question, is there a quick way to add a specified Bible version as parallel pane to the active Tab? This functionality would be great when integrated with the touch bar. The most frequent operation for me is to "Add Parallel" to a Tab.

Just learned that I could use ^Lang1|Lang2 for alternative languages in Keyboard Maestro. Can BetterTouchTool do it?

post-32138-0-04658100-1596471668_thumb.png

@Fabian, I don't need the "if...then" condition anymore by using this RegEx menu click in Keyboard Maestro (screenshot above).