Open Text Differences as a Search

Darin Franklin

I am comparing two texts which have sparse differences, and I need a way to navigate between the differences.

For example:

Open HMT-W4 in a search tab.

Open BHS-W4 in parallel.

Turn on Compare. 

In Compare Text settings, I have

Compare: Words

Type: Single Text

Ignore: everything

Display > List Text Differences

Now I have a list of all the verses which have differences, but how do I navigate to each one?

I want a way to open the list of verses into a search tab so that I can navigate them as search result hits.

For now, here is my workaround.

Focus on the Text Differences pane.

File > Save as Text File > Plain Text…

Open the text file in a text editor, extract all the verses, and join them with semicolons.

Paste the list of verses into the Accordance search tab.

Now I can navigate through the hits. 

To make this easier, the Text Differences list should have a link at the top which opens the list of verses in the search tab.

post-29604-0-50726500-1595300527_thumb.png

• Like 3

Now I have a list of all the verses which have differences, but how do I navigate to each one?

+1 for a solution for this

Now I can navigate through the hits. 

To make this easier, the Text Differences list should have a link at the top which opens the list of verses in the search tab.

I requested a few times, we should be able to click on the reference and it jumps to there in the Bible. https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/18361-compare-list-tab-tie/?p=110674

I also requested to "Tie" the list of text differences with the Bibles.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/18361-compare-list-tab-tie/?hl=links

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

• 2 weeks later...
I created Automator workflows to provide navigation for text differences. This is for Mac only.

TextDifferences-1.0.0.zip

Double-click the workflow files to install them.  They will appear in the Accordance > Services menu.

Open Text Differences as Search

This service opens a Text Differences tab, saves it, reads it, and then opens the Search tab with the list of verses.

1. In Accordance, open two texts in parallel, enable Compare, and turn on "Recycle Contents".
2. Accordance > Services > Open Text Differences as Search

Open Text Differences as Web Page

Do the same steps as above, but choose Accordance > Services > Open Text Differences as Web Page.

It creates an HTML file and opens it in the default web browser.  To view this file in Accordance, you have to copy and paste the URL into the Accordance web browser tab (File > New Tab > Web Browser).  There is currently no way for the script to open it directly in Accordance, but I will add that feature if Accordance ever gets a keyboard shortcut to select the URL bar (Cmd-L, perhaps).

post-29604-0-95819500-1596302622_thumb.png
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Darin:  We have now added Cmd-L to select the URL address bar in v13.1.4.

• Like 2

Darin, I couldn’t get your services to work, sadly. 

I created Automator workflows to provide navigation for text differences. This is for Mac only.

attachicon.gifTextDifferences-1.0.0.zip

Double-click the workflow files to install them.  They will appear in the Accordance > Services menu.

Open Text Differences as Search

This service opens a Text Differences tab, saves it, reads it, and then opens the Search tab with the list of verses.

1. In Accordance, open two texts in parallel, enable Compare, and turn on "Recycle Contents".
2. Accordance > Services > Open Text Differences as Search

Open Text Differences as Web Page

Do the same steps as above, but choose Accordance > Services > Open Text Differences as Web Page.

It creates an HTML file and opens it in the default web browser.  To view this file in Accordance, you have to copy and paste the URL into the Accordance web browser tab (File > New Tab > Web Browser).  There is currently no way for the script to open it directly in Accordance, but I will add that feature if Accordance ever gets a keyboard shortcut to select the URL bar (Cmd-L, perhaps).

post-32015-0-63470800-1602184387_thumb.png

Thanks, Joel.  I updated the Open Text Differences as Web Page workflow to use the Accordance web browser. Download version 1.0.2 and try it out.

Dustin, let me know if you still have problems with the new version.

• Like 1

Hi, Darin,

I get these errors on 13.1.4 when I try to run the workflows (all three give one or the other of these):

post-3736-0-31366400-1602215192_thumb.png

post-3736-0-03409200-1602215203_thumb.png

I get these errors on 13.1.4 when I try to run the workflows (all three give one or the other of these):

I think that you need to grant some permissions.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

Check the box for SystemUIServer.app.  

I think that you need to grant some permissions.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

Check the box for SystemUIServer.app.  

Thanks, Darin,

You were right. Except I had to just check the box for Accordance.app. I didn't have anything in there like SystemUIServer.app.

• Like 2