show symbols

Kristin

This might just be user error, but I think it is a bug.

With the new highlighting system when you select a word there are three recents and a little paint pallet which allows for the highlights to appear. With this little paint pallet you can click "show symbols" but this does not seem to be working properly. Regardless of whether I click it or not, the symbols do not appear, but then randomly they will appear without me doing anything, and then the next word I click they are gone again.

Please let me know if this is user error, but I think it is a bug given that how it appears changes without me clicking anything.

Thank you for your help,

Kristin

post-35522-0-43705700-1595217988_thumb.png

This appears to be working on my system. 

This is in Accordance 13.1.2?

What version of MacOS?

This appears to be working on my system. 

This is in Accordance 13.1.2?

What version of MacOS?

Hi Silas,

That is correct, I am using 13.1.2. I would say the symbols do not appear 90% of the time, but then once in awhile they randomly appear. The only option is "Show Symbols," (as opposed to Show / Hide) so I am not sure if they are turned off or on. If I click the button it does not seem to change anything one way or the other.

What version of MacOS is this on?

What version of MacOS is this on?

Hi Silas,

I am using 10.15.5.

To anyone following this, I have one further question:

Since the "show symbols" is not working, it is causing me to always open the actual highlights each time I need to highlight (since I need the symbols). However, before I can select the highlight I need to deselect "enabled" each time. Is there a way to set it so that it remembers that I am not using the  "enabled" feature"? I use it occasionally, but not enough to warrant it always being on.

Thank you for any clarity anyone is able to provide.

Kristin

Why do you need to deselect "Enabled" before you can highlight?

If you want it to remain unchecked, just don't close the highlight window.

Edited by Silas Marrs

Why do you need to deselect "Enabled" before you can highlight?

If you want it to remain unchecked, just don't close the highlight window.

Hi Silas,

I need it deselected since the “enabled” interferes with my work too much and it creates uneven highlights. The idea of not ever closing the highlight window is impractical since it takes up too much space on my screen. I thus need to open highlights and use them, and then close them again to work with the text in other ways. I can list a few concerns in case it is helpful.

1) When I had Acc 12 the highlights worked great. I could select something and when I would highlight it the highlight was over the word evenly. The highlight was centered and the same size for each word. However, with the “enabled” the highlight starts really small and I need to “drag” the highlight over the word to try to make it even. As a result, all my highlights were different sizes and shapes.

2) Acc 12 was really quick in highlighting things different symbols. If I want to put two highlights on top of each other I could select the word and highlight the first symbol then highlight the second symbol. With “enabled” I needed to do it almost in reverse and it would take more time. I need to select the first symbol then drag the highlight over the word, then select the second symbol, and drag the second symbol over the first. But then it isn’t even so I erase the highlight and try again and it is finally decent, but still not evenly placed over the word.

3) With Acc 12 I could select three words and press COMMAND C and it would copy the words. With “enabled,” if I select the words it highlights the first word instead of selecting them.

4) When I was working in Acc 12 I simply had a curser that was not distracting at all. With “enabled” there is a pen symbol. The pen is perfectly fine if your goal is highlighting, but when my goal is to read and copy parts of the text, the pen is distracting, and further prevents me from copying, since the act of selecting a word highlights it with whatever random highlight was used last.

5) These issues were all so disruptive to my work that support helped me downgrade to Acc 12. I only reinstalled Acc 13 after it was clarified that if I deselected “enabled” it would function as it had in Acc 12. I then realized that when I selected a word I could copy it, or select from one of the three recents, or click the paint pallet for more highlights. This was really great, but unfortunately it only shows the custom highlights and does not ever show the symbols, which prevents me from using the paint pallet to access highlights. The lack of the symbols showing is what caused me to start this thread.

6) When I do have highlights open (since accessing them through the paint pallet next to a word does not work) and “enabled” is not clicked, it works fine. However, if “enabled” is clicked I often get that spinning wheel and that is just another issue on top of the issues I listed above.

Those are a few of the reasons why I need the “enabled” to be deselected. That is one thing I really dislike about Acc 13. With Acc 12 I could open highlights and use them, while in Acc 12 when I open highlights I need to deselect “enabled” EACH TIME I open highlights. It would be helpful if that something the program can remember.

One thing I do like about the “enabled” is that it makes creating the numbers above 10 much easier. If I wanted to number the 12th disciple, for example, I would previously need to find a “1” and select only one letter, then find the “2” and put it on the letter next to it. While I still need to do that now, the “enabled” makes the process much easier to select only one letter. So I do use the “enabled” once in awhile, but very rarely and not enough to warrant it being the default every time I open the hightlights box.

Let me know if you need further clarification about my concerns.

Take care,

Kristin

Kristin, let me reply to each of your points:

1) There are a variety of ways to highlight, each that helps a user with a different workflow.  Clearly, the 'Live' highlighting isn't a good workflow for you.  The reason "Enabled" comes up is because, if you are opening the Highlight palette, it is for the purpose of fast Live highlighting.  In your case, the issue is that you can't use symbols when selection highlighting, not that Enabled is always re-enabled.

2) With the new selection highlighting in v13, this is fewer steps than it was in v12.  Just select your text, click the symbols (if they are recent) or click the 'palette' and select the symbols.

3) Agreed, Live Highlighting does not allow for selection copy, when Enabled.

4) Yes, Live Highlighting also shows you that you have a different cursor.

5) My recents list shows symbols (if they are in the recent 3), and I am also able to toggle the Symbols visibility within the palette.  I think effort should be made to find out why this is not workig for you.  Are you sure that, after highlighting with a symbol, it is not in the recent highlights set?

6) Can you describe better how you get a spinning wheel when attempting to use symbols from a non-enabled highlight palette?  Mine does not crash.

"Those are a few of the reasons why I need the “enabled” to be deselected. That is one thing I really dislike about Acc 13. With Acc 12 I could open highlights and use them, while in Acc 12 when I open highlights I need to deselect “enabled” EACH TIME I open highlights. It would be helpful if that something the program can remember."

The goal in v13 was that the selection based highlighting replaces the old highlighting method.  You would only open the actual highlighting interface when attempting to Live highlight.

So, I think we just need to see why your symbols are not appearing in the recents, nor when toggled.

Kristin, let me reply to each of your points:

1) There are a variety of ways to highlight, each that helps a user with a different workflow.  Clearly, the 'Live' highlighting isn't a good workflow for you.  The reason "Enabled" comes up is because, if you are opening the Highlight palette, it is for the purpose of fast Live highlighting.  In your case, the issue is that you can't use symbols when selection highlighting, not that Enabled is always re-enabled.

2) With the new selection highlighting in v13, this is fewer steps than it was in v12.  Just select your text, click the symbols (if they are recent) or click the 'palette' and select the symbols.

3) Agreed, Live Highlighting does not allow for selection copy, when Enabled.

4) Yes, Live Highlighting also shows you that you have a different cursor.

5) My recents list shows symbols (if they are in the recent 3), and I am also able to toggle the Symbols visibility within the palette.  I think effort should be made to find out why this is not workig for you.  Are you sure that, after highlighting with a symbol, it is not in the recent highlights set?

6) Can you describe better how you get a spinning wheel when attempting to use symbols from a non-enabled highlight palette?  Mine does not crash.

"Those are a few of the reasons why I need the “enabled” to be deselected. That is one thing I really dislike about Acc 13. With Acc 12 I could open highlights and use them, while in Acc 12 when I open highlights I need to deselect “enabled” EACH TIME I open highlights. It would be helpful if that something the program can remember."

The goal in v13 was that the selection based highlighting replaces the old highlighting method.  You would only open the actual highlighting interface when attempting to Live highlight.

So, I think we just need to see why your symbols are not appearing in the recents, nor when toggled.

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your thorough response. Below are the answers to your comments.

1) “In your case, the issue is that you can't use symbols when selection highlighting, not that Enabled is always re-enabled." I would agree with this assessment.

2) “With the new selection highlighting in v13, this is fewer steps than it was in v12.  Just select your text, click the symbols (if they are recent) or click the 'palette' and select the symbols.” I certainly agree that would be a much faster way than Acc 12 if the symbols were showing.

5) “My recents list shows symbols (if they are in the recent 3), and I am also able to toggle the Symbols visibility within the palette.  I think effort should be made to find out why this is not working for you.” I agree that it would be very helpful if we can figure out why the symbols are not showing. If the symbols were showing when I opened the pallet, I would never need to open the official highlight box. I am only doing so since the symbols are not showing. So if we can fix that, that would be great.

Are you sure that, after highlighting with a symbol, it is not in the recent highlights set?” If I highlight a symbol the last three highlights do appear in the recents, which is very helpful. The issue though is that I am often going back and fourth between 4 symbols, which causes me to need to open the highlights.

6) “Can you describe better how you get a spinning wheel when attempting to use symbols from a non-enabled highlight palette?  Mine does not crash.” I think I might have been unclear. When I am using the “non-enabled” highlights I never have a problem at all. I was only seeing the spinning wheel just now when “enabled” was activated, but then if I deselected “enabled” the spinning wheel would go away.

Concerning your comment, “The goal in v13 was that the selection based highlighting replaces the old highlighting method….I think we just need to see why your symbols are not appearing in the recents, nor when toggled.” I agree that would solve the issue. If the symbols were appearing I would rarely open the highlights box.

Take care,
Kristin

After some research, I've found that the reason your symbol palette is not showing up is due to not having sufficient room to display them.

Usually, they display below the highlight styles, but if there are so many highlight styles that there is not room on the screen to show all of them, it doesn't show any of them.

We're thinking about a fix for this, but you might try this workaround in the meantime and see if it makes your job easier than opening the full palette every time:

If you select some text, right click it, and use the "Highlight" menu, you have access to all the options the highlight palette gives you:

post-34535-0-70338700-1595876652_thumb.png