Command-Option-A used to insert a verse with an erroneous reference

bdollahite

In a recent webinar I was informed that it is consider the expected behavior when an invalid Bible reference is entered into the dialog box to return a verse anyway.  I would like to open a discussion here as to whether that is the desired behavior.

For example:  If I enter Judges 19:31 (note there are only 30 verse in Judges) into the dialogue box — I would like to se returned an alert that the requested verse reference is to a valid reference.  What happen now is I get back Judges 19:30.

However, if I enter Judges 22:1 (there are only 21 chapters in Judges) into the dialog box — I get Judges 21:1 returned.

The same behavior happens with an entry of Judge 23:1, 24:1, and 25:1 — but on entering Judges 26:1 I get an alert noise — and nothing else is returned.  I can live with this behavior, but I would have preferred a text response along with the alert noise (assuming that was possible).

NOTE — Similar behavior on Ruth 5:1 — I get Ruth 4:1 returned.  But on entering Ruth 6:1, I get the alert beep only.  

I don't understand why Judges can have a typo 4-chapters out of range and work, but Ruth fails at 2-chapters out of range.  I prefer any invalid reference to fail — whether notified by an alert sound only, or alert sound plus a dialog stating the issue.

Worst is when you enter an invalid verse reference for a valid chapter (e.g., the Judge 19:31 example previous cited).  It seems the default here is to return the last verse of a referenced chapter.  I enter Judges 19:200 and still get Judges 19:30.  I wanted Judges 19:20 — but did not seem my type and with Accordance help, I introduced an error — the text for 19:30 being inserted in my paper with a cite of 19:30 — but the desired enter of 19:20 is now posted (and this become a more difficult error to find on proof reading).

So typos on a chapter part of a reference, with a valid verse part for some chapter, might return an alert and then they may not.  Inconsistent behavior like that just does not seem desirable.  Hence, I am seeking to read an explanation response as to why this is a proper expected result (there may be a use case of which I am ignorant)— or that this issue be treated like a bug, prioritized and addressed in some future bug fix release of Accordance.

This is deliberate behavior, though perhaps it can be tweaked.  The general reason is that we do not assume the user has memorized what the last verse of a chapter is, or the last chapter of a book.  Thus, a user may wish to simply either view that last verse, or to type a range that goes to the end of the chapter.  A user could then type Gen 45:15-99 to get the rest of that chapter, without remembering the last verse.  Similarly, a user could just request Gen 47-52 to get the rest of Genesis without having to remember that there are 50 chapters.

Historically, it would never fail - a search for Gen 47-9999999 would still work.  Even a search for Gen 999999:99999 would work.  We decided this was a bit too out of bounds, so we added a ~25% margin to the end, which is why you have the buffer at the end of Joshua and Ruth, though different buffer lengths.  Probably we should increase the buffer a bit, as 25% seems a bit too close to 'real' numbers to be of any use.

• Like 3