13.1 amplify to parallel bug

JonathanHuber

So I was looking for an OT parallel in Kings/Chronicles that turned out to not exist, and in the process I found an amusing bug. When I try to amplify to parallel and get a notice that the passage isn't found, the popup message correlates with my list of recently opened modules. Eg. if I amplify to the first parallel in the list of parallels, the popup message says "The text 'ABC' is not currently available to Accordance", in which 'ABC' is the first item in my recent modules list. Amplify to the second parallel, and the popup refers to the second module in recents list, etc. 

If the parallel is found, then it just opens, so the actual process of amplifying to a parallel seems to be working correctly. There's just something wrong with the text of the popup notice if no result is found. And it's kind of funny. :) 

• Like 2

Mmh, two weeks ago I found one on the internet. But I was thought it is included in Accordance, so I didn't have requested it. And now it seems it isn't. 

Yes this would be great to have. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually having a problem now such that the parallels are not found even if there is one. I can open the parallel and search for a reference, but I can't amplify from a text to the parallel. Eg. select 2 King 11.1 and amplifying to OT parallel. There should be a hit but I get the weird message about no verses found in [second entry in recent modules list]. If I carefully open a sequence of modules so that the OT parallel actually is the second entry in the recent modules list, then it opens. So it really looks like the program is searching in the wrong place. Any suggestions? 

Hmm, interesting. I see similar issues amplifying to a parallel. What I had forgotten is the Parallel Passage part of the Info Pane. A click on the title in the tool of interest and the tool opens to the appropriate spot. Hmm, I think I will just use the info pane now since it works so nicely. The Info Pane just keeps getting more and more useful to me!

—Joseph

• Like 1

Oh thanks for pointing that out. I forget about parallels in info pane too.

Can you help me understand? I am just a poor Windoze user who wandered into the wrong room, but this conversation sounds interesting.

I don't see any "parallels" in my Info Pane. Are we talking Cross-References or Topics maybe? Or are we Windoze folks lacking a feature?

(1) I have my NET Bible open and sitting on Rev 1.1, and the Jewish Annotated NT Study Bible open via "Add Parallel". I right-click on Revelation in the verse reference Revelation 1.1 and I can't search a study bible. But I can amplify to a study bible from the Amplify menu. When I do so, I don't get an error, and the Jewish Annotated NT study bible opens in a new tab in my Tools zone to the correct location (even though it is already open as a parallel.

(2) With the NET Notes commentary open alongside the NET bible via Add Parallel, when I right-click on Revelation in Revelation 1.1 > Lookup > Commentary, the NET Notes commentary opens up as a tab in my Tools zone. I then turned on recycled in the search tab, but amplify still opens a separate tab in the Tools zone. 

Am I bugless? Or brainless (I misunderstand the topic)?

This is not the same thing as parallel panes. Parallels are a series of databases showing parallel passages in the Biblical text (like the Gospels, or Kings/Chronicles). They're found at the bottom of Tools in your library, and they show up in the Info Pane when the verse you're looking at appears in one of the databases. Eg, open a text to 2 King 11 and then look in the Info Pane. 

Thank you Jonathan! (brainless I am ;-) )

I didn't know parallels would show up in the Info Pane. Way cool! 

First thing I notice is when I mouse/hover over, Instant Details does NOT show me the text of that passage :(

Secondly, after I clicked on one of those 2 references, the Info Pane changed from just listing the two passages to inserting the texts "Old Testament Parallels" and "Athaliah's Reign and Overview". (Also, the passage opened up in a Context tab.)

Thirdly, not wanting to type all that I went to select it and lo and behold it is clickable. It opens the Parallels resource with both passages. I like that a bunch!

Back to the OP ... I confirm it works exactly the same way on Windows. Cool sleuthing/discovery, Jonathan :)