SALE! It's Teaching Time!

R. Mansfield

It's Teaching Time with new Eerdmans releases from J. J. Collins and Laura Zucconi! And don't miss savings of up to 73% off favorite Commentaries and Study Bibles + other teaching resources for the Accordance Library.

Thank you for the free book in the e-newsletter

Hello, Can anyone comment on the differences between Holman Bible Atlas and Holman Illustrated Study Bible Notes? What does one have that the other doesn't? Is there much overlap / value in having both? 

Thank you. Kind regards!

I dont have the study bible but looking at the index on line, it seems to be organised as a typical study bible with book introductions. There is some text for between the testaments as illustrated in the screen shot. However, from the index, the maps and tables seem to be identical in the two volumes. 

the atlas has much more text about the period and isnt organised as a study bible. 

so, overlap, it looks like the majority of the maps and tables are the same (ive Only found two extra maps in the atlas from a superficial comparison.) 

if you are after a study bible with beautiful maps, it looks like the study bible is to go for.( Im now tempted as i can have the maps scrolling on my ipad with bible text so thanks. )

if you have a good study bible and want more descriptive text about the time, then id go for the atlas as it has a lot more detail than that shown in the screen shot. 

if you use a mobile device and want maps with your bible and more detail, id consider both. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Personal recommendation: In my opinion, the Holman Bible Atlas has the most useful set of pre-made Bible maps available. I've used them for years from various sources, including print, and was thrilled to get this resource into Accordance.

• Like 1

Thank you!. Fraser, I just had much fun reading up on Nottingham. I'm a big football nut and loved reading about your 2 clubs as mentioned in Wikipedia. Sounds like a great city with rich tradition. "Oldest professional football club in the world" - wow!

I'm new to Accordance so I'm still trying to figure out workflows, and when to be here versus my other place which sounds like all of bee. I'll do the atlas. Not sure the study bible. I'm more of a dictionary + commentary guy than a study bible guy, esp here in accordance. 

More importantly we have two Very old  pubs, one dating back to 1189 and one to 1240!!!!

from my review you will see that like richard, i am a big fan of the atlas so you wont be disappointed. The cartography is the best. 

as to workflow, on mobile devices you can currently only have a second pane open next to your bible text and you are restricted to a second bible text, a commentary or a study bible (not a dictionary though you have that in instant details, nor an atlas, though i live in hope that this limitation will be resolved in the not to distant future).  No such limitation in the full fat windows/mac version.

• Like 1

Hello, Can anyone comment on the differences between Holman Bible Atlas and Holman Illustrated Study Bible Notes? What does one have that the other doesn't? Is there much overlap / value in having both? 

Ok, so i bought the study bible (as its such a great price currently).

the text in the atlas is a lot more comprehensive And my initial thoughts are that the study bible is more about photos with very little text so wont be replacing my study bibles . 

there are about 95 maps common to both volumes although the study bible ones have been clipped in many cases. 

there are about 32 maps unique to the atlas.

there are about 10 maps unique to the study bible, though half of them are just crops from other maps. There are also duplicate maps so that it will work with the bible text, kings and chronicles, or where the same event is recorded in two or more gospels. 

I have published a review of the study bible on the product page with it but have noticed that there are some photos common to both but many of the images in the study bible are poor quality and dont look very good full screen on an ipad. 

i think you were leaning towards the atlas and i certainly think that it is by far the better resource of the two. However the study bible will be useful for me as i can run it in parallel with my bible text on my ipad to see the maps so its not a waste of money.

thanks once again for the question. 

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

the text in the atlas is a lot more comprehensive And my initial thoughts are that the study bible is more about photos with very little text so wont be replacing my study bibles . 

there are about 95 maps common to both volumes although the study bible ones have been clipped in many cases. 

there are about 10 maps unique to the study bible, though half of them are just crops from other maps. There are also duplicate maps so that it will work with the bible text, kings and chronicles, or where the same event is recorded in two or more gospels. 

I have published a review of the study bible on the product page with it but have noticed that there are some photos common to both but many of the images in the study bible are poor quality and dont look very good full screen on an ipad. 

i think you were leaning towards the atlas and i certainly think that it is by far the better resource of the two. However the study bible will be useful for me as i can run it in parallel with my bible text on my ipad to see the maps so its not a waste of money.

;o) 

Thanks for the detailed comparison!

I was the other way round, having the study bible but not the atlas, so I went and purchased that.

Thanks

John

More importantly we have two Very old  pubs, one dating back to 1189 and one to 1240!!!!

as to workflow, on mobile devices you can currently only have a second pane open next to your bible text and you are restricted to a second bible text, a commentary or a study bible (not a dictionary though you have that in instant details, nor an atlas, though i live in hope that this limitation will be resolved in the not to distant future).  No such limitation in the full fat windows/mac version.

1189 & 1240?! That's amazing! I just can't fathom that. We got just a couple hundred years of history on this side of the pond. I'd definitely love popping in there. 

Your workflow comment is really helpful. I'm a month or so new to Accordance so I'm still trying to get my bearings. It's super cool but doesn't do what I want all the time, or as easily as I want much of the time. I suspect most of that is because I'm still on the early part of the learning curve. Watching as many seminars and eAcademies as I can. 

From what you say, you like having a study bible open adjacent to the text as you read. I'm more used to consulting commentaries for passages I'm in. And my biggest original reason for Accordance was original language study, which meant I would focus more on grammars and dictionaries than commentaries and study bibles. I expect my aims for Accordance may change over time since it is so capable. 

Fraser you rock! Thank you so much for this detailed comparison. And your review on the Holman Illustrated Study Bible Notes is thorough, clear, and excellent. You helped me make my decision. Thank you. 

BTW, I, too, have NOAB, Jewish SB Notes (2nd ed), Jewish Annotated NT (2nd ed), Jewish Add-on for biblical studies (it has sub-items but I guess they don't display after installing - I'm looking at my Easy Install list); JPS (1985) w/Strongs. Just picked all those up last week and still need to look thru them. I got turned on to Hebrew studies/history after watching some Tim Mackie archive videos :) 

Cheers mate! And happy Accordancing

Thank you for the free book in the e-newsletter

In case anyone sees this and wonders, it is "Butler's Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 4): Study Questions"

• Like 2

Last chance for introductory pricing on new titles from Eerdmans + discounts on commentaries, study Bibles, + other teaching resources. The Accordance IT'S TEACHING TIME Sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!