Opening an Independent Window

jackcav

I know there is a way to open a resource as an independent window. When I attempt to open a resource from the Library window, it always opens as a tab on the existing workspace. I then must go to the Window menu and detach tab, then resize the window to something usable. By then I may have forgotten the reason I opened the resource ;).

Frankly this is the most irritating feature of Accordance for me.

Jack

Press the command key as you select the resource and it will open in a separate window even if a workspace is in front.

Helen

Thanks for the quick response. I had attempted this from the Library window, and it did not work. I see that I must open the window from the palette. For me, this reduces the value of the Library window tremendously.

Jack

Press the command key as you select the resource and it will open in a separate window even if a workspace is in front.

A question that is hopefully clearly related to the above ...

Is it possible to use the cmd trick to amplify to a tool SET as a separate window/workspace with tabs, so that the search window remains separate to the main workspace? I have three tool sets, one for OT words, one for NT words, and one for topics, and it would be useful to amplify to them in a separate window and be able to recycle the contents in subsequent searches; easier then to dismiss the multiple tabs with a single click when you're done with the search.

I've tried for several months to do this with favorite workspaces but it just doesn't seem to work. Quite likely I'm doing something wrong.

I set up an OT Words, NT Words and Topics workspace, saved them as favorites, and thought I could amplify to them in the favorite workspaces section in the resource palette, but try as I might I cannot do it. In fact I can't even double-click to open the workspaces - it sometimes works on the first attempt and will not do so on any further attempts.

I tried setting up an ESVS workspace as per Dr. J's webinar and that opens fine by double-clicking it as a favorite workspace either in the Library Window or the resource palette - I can also amplify to it in the resource palette. I also have a startup workspace that opens with 4 different Bible texts and 4 different sets of Bible notes and that also works fine as a favorite workspace.

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work with my 'tool set' workspaces? Is it because I'm mixing modules from different tool categories e.g. English tools, reference tools? I tried simplifying the topics workspace down to just ISBE, Nave's and Topical Textbook but I can't amplify to that either. In fact I can't even click it to open it in either the resource palette or the library window. I'm a little frustrated (with my lack of ability to figure this out) because it would be so useful to amplify to these separate workspaces and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I can provide screen shots if the description above is too confusing.

blessings,

Laurel.

I think I do understand: that a favourite workspace that only has tools in it is not working correctly. I will look into it.

Well actually, it's working OK, for me. If I command-click to open or amplify to a tool set in that menu, each tool opens in a separate, tiled, window. If I create a workspace with the three tools you mention, I can amplify to it just fine.

Either there is a corruption in your saved files or settings, or I have not understood the issue.

I just tried it with the tool sets and the three tools in the set did each open in a separate window. First time! ?!?

But I still have the problem with the favorite workspaces.

Shouldn't it be possible to select a word and amplify to a favorite workspace?

Also, if I'm working with a text such as NASB95S, and alt click on a favorite workspace with Greek/Hebrew tools, shouldn't Accordance amplify and search by key number?

The deeper problem is that I can't get any tools workspace to open from my favorite workspace section in either the resource palette or the library window. However if I choose open, and select the workspace from my finder, I can open it fine (but can't amplify to it then, obviously).

Thanks again for any insight into how I can resolve this. If it was a problem with corrupted files, how would I fix it? I have tried deleting the workspaces and setting them up again, then adding them to favorites, with no success. User ignorance could be a big part of the problem here ...

:-( Laurel.

Helen - just tried again, re-creating two workspaces and saving them as favorites. I can now open them from both library window and resource palette, even if I close down Accordance and launch it again, which simply did not work on many previous attempts. I'm mystified since I didn't do anything differently (that I'm aware of), but just grateful that it works! Sorry for taking up your time on that question.

As for amplifying ... now that the favorite workspaces are opening for me, I can amplify for English words. I tried alt-clicking from NASB95S to amplify to a favorite workspace by key number (all G/H tools) and I'm obviously asking Accordance to do something it can't do ... no problem. I can live without that although it would be great if this worked, because it would keep those search results separate to the main workspace I'm in, just as it does for English words.

Also just tried a combination of alt+command+click on a tool set and it opened each tool in an independent window and searched them by key number, so it's good to know that's possible as well.

Thanks again, very much, for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Jack,

Did you notice that Accordance 8.2 now supports opening a module from the Library window as a separate window? That's about a two-week turnaround from request to delivery!

David

I did notice that! :D Thank you for the quick turn-around. That makes using Accordance a more pleasurable experience.

Jack

Jack,

Did you notice that Accordance 8.2 now supports opening a module from the Library window as a separate window? That's about a two-week turnaround from request to delivery!

Archived