Add Parallel - Biblical Studies

pder3571

This subject showed up about three years ago, I read the responses, and it was still not clear to what was written. Since I am experiencing the problem, I would like to reopen the subject and ask, when I have several resources in my Biblical Studies tab, but they do not show up under my Add Parallel drop-down menu, then what can I do to get those resources to appear?

The previous explanation had something to do with missing reference and that Accordance would not know what to look for, if a parallel resource was needed.

But, what if that resource happens to be Bullinger's Figures of Speech Used in the Bible and it shows a biblical reference in the book itself (and I'm pretty sure, in the Accordance version too) and it does not show up under the Add Parallel?

Given the previous explanation, it should, but it doesn't. In fact, only one resource shows up in the Add Parallel for Biblical Studies in the Accordance program, and, once again, I'm pretty certain that all of those resources have numerous biblical references that have generated the discussion associated with them.

So, can someone please provide a bit of clarification? Why cannot those Biblical Studies resources show up under the Add Parallel column, just like the numerous other resources do under the other Add Parallel subjects?

The Add Parallel is for tools that are organized in chapter/verse order, like a commentary. However, you can add tools like Bullinger to the My Toolset section of the Info Pane and then it will appear when it references the verse your text is at. I like using that feature for the Church Fathers. Adding Bullinger is a good idea!

• Like 1

The Add Parallel is for tools that are organized in chapter/verse order, like a commentary. However, you can add tools like Bullinger to the My Toolset section of the Info Pane and then it will appear when it references the verse your text is at. I like using that feature for the Church Fathers. Adding Bullinger is a good idea!

Thanks, Jonathan, but I've already done that. But, that is not what I'm needing.

Paul, there is simply a fundamental difference between Bullinger and other (compatible) tools like Commentaries and Translator Notes.

For the latter, they are organized by verse reference.  They have one clear section referring to the verse, which roughly follows the structure of your text.  So, they can be shown in parallel, and easily navigate as you scroll your text, or vice versa.  Parallel Panes can be added for anything that has this strong verse structure - Texts, Tools organized by Reference, User Notes, etc.

Bullinger, however, is not organized this way.  It does not have that clear connection.  For example, Bullinger discusses Romans 6:4 multiple times - there is no clear single place to navigate to, unlike a Commentary or Translator Notes.

One easy way to tell the different nature of a tool is to open it up.  If the first field listed is 'Reference' or 'Scripture', it is organized this way and can be placed in parallel.  If it is not (e.g. Bullinger is "Titles") then it is a completely different structure.

All of this being said, you have a few solutions:

1) As Jonathan said, by adding Bullinger to your My Toolset, you can easily mouse over the book cover to see what is discussed, and/or click on the cover to see the discussion for that verse.

2) You can keep a Bullinger tab open, and then amplify to it anytime you want to update that tab.  This can be as easy as a Right-Click, a click on the icon added to your toolbar, a click in the Library, etc.

3) You can customize your Live Click -> Verse Lookup to go to a User Group.  If this group contains Bullinger, then a simple Live Click on any verse reference will instantly give you the contents.

But, you see from the above examples, these are all fundamentally different types of actions than displaying it in parallel.  When displaying a tool in parallel, it is simply a "Display the whole text and scroll to the relevant part."  This is possible if the tool is organized by verses.  But, what the above solutions are demonstrating is that you are asking for a search:  "Go find and display every reference in Bullinger."

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Joel, for the explanation, but I find it unacceptable. Why? Because when I bring up Bullinger, as part of the Info function, alongside the biblical reference, it immediately goes to the reference and displays the relevant information. One would think that that could be as easily incorporated into the Add Parallel function as any of the other texts (Commentaries, Apparatuses, Diagrams, etc.) that are already a part of it. Bullinger is a very useful tool. Therefore, I would encourage you, as the Lead Software Engineer, to find a way to include it (and all of the rest of the works that Accordance offers) in the Add Parallel function, as a reflection of what is already in the user's library. That way if the user wants to see those works in the Add Parallel, they can place those works there. Besides, I know I'm not the first one to ask about this and I know I won't be the last. It will save us the time of having to develop some clumsy workaround and it will save you the time of having to re-answer the same question about this subject that keeps coming up from time-to-time.

Edited by Helen Brown