Unable to open Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible in split screen

zcostilla

So I use Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible a lot. But it’s frustrating that I cannot use it in split screen, to read the Bible verses alongside the commentary. I have to completely close out the guide and switch back to the Bible text to see the context. Also, it make cross referencing a lot harder.

Totally agree that we need more flexibility in what we have open in the two panes. And been asking for this for years.

but as a workaround while we wait for greater flexibility. (And i dont have wilmington to confirm) 

in wilmington there is a link to a passage of scripture. If you click on the link it opens the passage in a floating instant details and you want to be able to read the passage in context.

So at the bottom of the passage in the instant details box it says amplify. Click amplify and you get the passage, at the top left corner you can see a magnifying glass, click that and it opens the full text so you can read it in context.

At the top on the left there is a back arrow, click that and it should take you back to wilmington. 

this is the method i use when im working on other tools that have scripture links ( currently 'reading theology with the fathers' which has links to chunks of text and this method works. )

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

Totally agree that we need more flexibility in what we have open in the two panes. And been asking for this for years.

but as a workaround while we wait for greater flexibility. (And i dont have wilmington to confirm) 

in wilmington there is a link to a passage of scripture. If you click on the link it opens the passage in a floating instant details and you want to be able to read the passage in context.

So at the bottom of the passage in the instant details box it says amplify. Click amplify and you get the passage, at the top left corner you can see a magnifying glass, click that and it opens the full text so you can read it in context.

At the top on the left there is a back arrow, click that and it should take you back to wilmington. 

this is the method i use when im working on other tools that have scripture links ( currently 'reading theology with the fathers' which has links to chunks of text and this method works. )

I know those links are helpful, but then when my mind cross references to a different verse with some point made in Wilmington based upon another verse, it becomes a lot of work fast.

For example:

From Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible: The location of the [Revelation] (Revelation 1:9).

John now explains why he was on this isle. He was exiled there from about AD 86 to 96. Patmos was a rugged, volcanic island off the coast of Asia Minor. It was about ten miles long and six miles wide. He was probably put there by the Roman emperor Domitian. Domitian was the brother of Titus (who destroyed the city of Jerusalem). Thus, God allowed one pagan to destroy his earthly city, but would use his brother to allow the heavenly new Jerusalem to first be described to man. Marvelous and mysterious indeed are the workings of grace!

My mind immediately thought of “Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.” (Psa. 76:10 KJV), but I couldn’t actually remember that reference. So I had to completely exit Wilmington’s Guide to open my bible text and do a verse search, and then open the user note and make the cross reference on my own. Way too much work when we really need to have the capability to view the commentary in its own pane, and also the ability to edit notes in it’s own pane instead of a pop-up that takes the whole screen and hides the text.

Edited by zcostilla
  • Like 1

You can search the text after youve amplified it but yes, currently it is more difficult to follow ideas. And there are still a few areas where we are clicking too often due to poor initial design or inconsistencies in programming.

But it keeps improving and i still prefer the convenience of sitting comfortably using my ipad to opening up my mbp. 

patience is a virtue and im sure the folks at accordance are working hard behind the scenes but its also good to keep giving them examples of how we are using this to help them formalise how it needs to develop. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

You can search the text after youve amplified it but yes, currently it is more difficult to follow ideas. And there are still a few areas where we are clicking too often due to poor initial design or inconsistencies in programming.

But it keeps improving and i still prefer the convenience of sitting comfortably using my ipad to opening up my mbp. 

patience is a virtue and im sure the folks at accordance are working hard behind the scenes but its also good to keep giving them examples of how we are using this to help them formalise how it needs to develop. 

I hope by showing how I would use the functionality, it would show why I feel I need it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not open up Willmington's as the secondary pane to a bible text?  If you unlink them ("chain" icon in the top left corner of the commentary) then you can navigate the two separately.  The only functionality missing is to be able to search in Willmington's.

Why not open up Willmington's as the secondary pane to a bible text?  If you unlink them ("chain" icon in the top left corner of the commentary) then you can navigate the two separately.  The only functionality missing is to be able to search in Willmington's.

That’s just it, it will not open up as a second pane. It opens up as a new, single window that will not work with split panes. This is the functionality that I am requesting.

Mine opens up in a secondary pane. Are you sure it isn’t listed with your reference tools under Commentaries?

Mine opens up in a secondary pane. Are you sure it isn’t listed with your reference tools under Commentaries?

Not how mine behaves at all. It does not show up in the commentaries in the second pane on either my iPad or my iPhone. If I hit the book icon in the lower left corner, it only shows up under Biblical Studies. But that is not an option for either the primary or secondary pane when using the app.

I took a short video recording the app behavior and sent it to you via PM.

Edited by zcostilla

I just deleted Accordance from my phone and re-added it fresh from the App Store, and after adding the Wilmington’s module back in, it still behaves the same way.

Joel, Willmington's Outlines open in parallel, but Willmington's Guide (which zcostilla is referring to) should not open in parallel since it does not have a parallel structure to biblical references. Which one are you able to get in parallel?

Joel, Willmington's Outlines open in parallel, but Willmington's Guide (which zcostilla is referring to) should not open in parallel since it does not have a parallel structure to biblical references. Which one are you able to get in parallel?

BUT... seeing as this is a great commentary and a great reference, it would be very helpful if it was able to be used in a parallel pane. For that matter, I don’t understand why all the references can’t be opened in a parallel pane.

• Like 1