I need help setting up a "reading plan"

WhiteWings

Here's my situation.

I start each and every day with reading 5 chapters of Psalm. After finishing the last chapter I restart at chapter 1.

Similar for Proverbs.

Plus more (see below)

I want to start up Accordance and let it automatically open Psalms in the correct translation (if possible with commentary open) at the correct chapter. When I close Accordance at Psalm 150 it should open the next day at Psalm 1.

Same for Proverbs. That's also an endless reading plan.

On top of that I may just decide to start reading somewhere and simply keep reading, in that case Accordance should open where I left off.

So that's 3 reading plans. But the plans are never telling what I should read. They just remind me where I left off. And they open everything the way I like it. When studying my layout is vastly different than when just reading.

For me study means a very crowded screen with many open resources. Usually a smaller font to cram even more info on my screens. But when reading I like a simple layout with a big font and a window with footnotes.

Is something like that possible?

• Like 1

There is no way inside Accordance to set up precisely what you want as a set of custom reading plans that I know of. Custom reading plan support has been requested - check the forums. There is the Daily Reading workspace (check the docs) but it is basically about using preconfigured daily readings not a custom one.

However, there are plenty of options to get you really close. I would create three saved workspaces, one for each reading plan.

One way, for Psalms : open your preferred translation in one pane, whatever commentary you want in a parallel pane - they'll scroll together as you read. I would then set up a bookmark wherever I am up to when I'm done. You could set up bookmarks every five psalms if you want. Strictly this may not be necessary as it will open where you left off but the problem is that if you open that text at a different place for some other reason the next time you open the Psalm's Reading WS it will locate to that spot not the next bookmark. Another downside of the bookmark every 5 thing is that you won't have one that stands out as where you are now.

Another way, which I've used for Psalms actually, is to create a User Tool with the plan and then use links so that you just click on the link for the day in the plan that you want and it will locate it in the text. You can open the plan in a tab so that while not in use it sits behind the reading text. Again you would have a parallel pane for the commentary.

When you get to the end relocate to the start of the text and Save the workspace again.

The same you would do for Proverbs. The third is more like a random reading workspace and I have one of those lying around too. Again bookmarks are your friend here.

Whenever I start reading a text more seriously, rather than just dipping into it to check something, I create a workspace so I can get the relevant reference materials around it.

What I have tended to do when studying something and trying to read from start to finish, is to bookmark top and bottom the secton I am reading currently reading. I do this so I can read the same section multiple times without getting lost. I then update the bookmarks when I'm ready to move on.

Hopefully that gives you a few things to try.

Thx

D

I've done a lot of what you have described using a simple Bookmark - I just update it when I have read the passage and move on.