Adjectives - attributive use

Bielikov

How do I create a search for the attributive use of adjectives using the construct pane? How about predicative use? Substantive use?

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

I have had some great success just experimenting around. For instance, I have been able to get both the attributive and predicative using the word good. I am now playing with the word wise, which is the second experiment I am working on, as the adjective, and have tons of luck with attributives. So, I want to experiment adding definiteness to the noun, and not doing so well there. I added a particle command to the construct window, and the option I used was ARTICLE. It does not work. Any help on how I can make the noun contain the definite article using a construct window? Thanks so much.

Bielikov, can you screenshot your construct? Mine seems to be working fine.

post-29509-0-34671700-1587362203_thumb.png

• Like 1

attachicon.gifPiccy.png

You did something very interesting, you put the article on a separate column. I had put both the noun and the article in the same column. I will play around with what you have done. Thanks so much. Just thinking aloud, I will put a NO article on the adjective and an article on the noun. I am wondering if I would use four columns to do that. I will play around with that as I am looking for the predicative use. For the attributive use, I ended up having great success with the command AGREE, and checking the proper boxes. Many thanks, Ken.

attachicon.gifPiccy.png

Hi Ken, I played around a bit with your formula and ended up having success. It had some items that did not belong, but I managed to get twenty new examples into my flashcards, of the predicative use. Thank you, thank you so much. I have no idea as to how to even begin to construct a search for the SUBSTANTIVE USE, such as "the wise one," "the good one," "the great ones," or "the righteous ones" (Basics of Biblical Hebrew 7.4.3, where ONE stands for man, woman, men, women, in their respective contexts here. Many thanks to you or to someone who may know how I may be able to do this. "In the substantive usage, and adjective is used independently as a noun." 

Linguistically, the notion of a "substantive" adjective is a chimera. Adjectives describe qualities, they do not refer to entities. The referring item is always a noun, whether it is overt, such as איש 'man', or covert/null, Ø, which we gloss as "one" in English. Thus, "the wise" actually represents "the wise (men/people)" in real syntactic terms. 

I bother with this explanation because it provides the background for this -- you will never be able to do an accurate search for "substantive" adjectives using the normal morphological and lexical search categories. You can only find these things in the syntax database by setting up a normal "attributive adjective" search but specifying the noun as null. I'm on my ipad at the moment; I will check in later on my laptop with a search for you.

• Like 2

Linguistically, the notion of a "substantive" adjective is a chimera. Adjectives describe qualities, they do not refer to entities. The referring item is always a noun, whether it is overt, such as איש 'man', or covert/null, Ø, which we gloss as "one" in English. Thus, "the wise" actually represents "the wise (men/people)" in real syntactic terms. 

I bother with this explanation because it provides the background for this -- you will never be able to do an accurate search for "substantive" adjectives using the normal morphological and lexical search categories. You can only find these things in the syntax database by setting up a normal "attributive adjective" search but specifying the noun as null. I'm on my ipad at the moment; I will check in later on my laptop with a search for you.

hi Robert, I got frustrated trying to work out a morph/lex way of searching in Hebrew for this yesterday and came to the same conclusion. In Greek it would be easier, though not necessarily definitive. So I look forward to seeing your syntax example, so at least I won’t have to work it out for myself! Thanks! (And to you Bielikov for asking the question!)

Hi Ken,

I don't follow why Greek would be easier. As I read Robert's response I was more concerned about whether we in fact had the covert nouns tagged in Greek.

Thx

D

I'm sorry to say that this will have to wait a bit. Putting together the search uncovered a deep inconsistency on this issue in my database that I need to fix. It will take me a bit of time, since I'm in the middle of end or the term grading. 

In the meantime, you will find many (not all) by doing a search like so (but note that changing it to "adjunct" won't work since that is what adjectives normally are anyway and changing it to "complement" likewise has many mishits since that also covers the "predicate adjective" pattern).

post-29948-0-27334500-1587514227_thumb.png

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 1

Thanks so very much.

I'm sorry to say that this will have to wait a bit. Putting together the search uncovered a deep inconsistency on this issue in my database that I need to fix. It will take me a bit of time, since I'm in the middle of end or the term grading. 

In the meantime, you will find many (not all) by doing a search like so (but note that changing it to "adjunct" won't work since that is what adjectives normally are anyway and changing it to "complement" likewise has many mishits since that also covers the "predicate adjective" pattern).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.08.36 PM.png

Robert, I realize what it means to be on a time crunch. Many blessings to you.