LXX2?

A.D. Riddle

I do not yet own an LXX module, and I was reading up on what options were available.

As I read through the forum, I keep seeing reference to LXX2, but I do not see this anywhere in the products listing. Does this still exist, or do I only need LXX1?

I also have a few other questions:

(1) Are proper names accented in Rahlf's? I noticed for Swete's, it explicitly states, "diacritics on proper names."

(2) Does Rahlf's come with any kind of text-critical apparatus?

(3) What is the publication history behind the LXX1 module? In other words, what edition of Rahlf's is it based on, and what modifications have been made to the current Accordance version?

Thank you,

A.D. Riddle

LXX2 comes bundled with LXX1. It contains alternate versions of Joshua, Judges, Tobit, and Daniel (including Suzanna and Bel).

there is not a text critical apparatus.

You can learn more about the LXX1 and LXX2 by looking them up in the Read Me Modules tool in Accordance.

The current edition is based on the 2006 Rahlf's, published by the German Bible Society. They are preparing an apparatus.

Proper names are now capitalized but are not accented.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add that the critical apparatus in the LXX edition by Rahlfs was reduced to a minimum.

Rahlfs decided that it was better not to wait for a major critical edition of the LXX to be completed before offering a readable text of the LXX. Therefore he decided to prepare an edition based on 3 manuscripts, that were the best he could find: namely Sinaiticus (that he abbreviates S), Vaticanus (that he abbreviates B ) and Alexandrinus (that he abbreviates A).

When the three were available (that is, in most cases) and the three agreed, the apparatus would be null. When they were 2 to 1, he printed in the text the 2 that agreed, and mentioned the third in the apparatus. If there was no agreement among the three, he chose one, and the mentioned the other two in the apparatus. In this way, the text is eclectic and apparatus is the least possible.

A special problem were the texts were two mss. agreed while the third had an entirely different text form, that could not be used to contibute to the eclectic text. This happens in the books that Lorinda mentioned. In these books Rahlfs decided to split the page and print one text form in the upper part and the other in the lower part.

The lower part of the text in these books became the LXX2 module.

Then there are some books, such as 1-4 Maccabees, that are not in the Sinaiticus. The Vaticanus has only two of them. For the other two Rahlfs was down to a single ms, namely the Alexandrinus. Instead of printing the Alexandrinus alone, Ralhfs felt that he had to check at least another manuscript, so he found the Venetus. In these books you can find also the Venetus in the apparatus, when it is at a variance with Alexandrinus.

The source of my information is the Preface to the printed LXX by Rahlfs.

I hope this helps.

Marco

[it appears I need to add a space after B and before the parenthesis, otherwise I will have the unintended emoticon B). :lol: ]

Archived