Hebrew Construct Panel

Bielikov

I am quite thrilled to begin working with Accordance's Hebrew Construct panel. Thanks to all who have helped me thus far. My first question is, how do I remove an item. I discovered that I add an item by dragging it. But I am not sure how to delete an item, when I want to modify my construct panel. Many thanks!

Drag a box around the item or items with your cursor. That will highlight the item/s. Then press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.

I highly recommend viewing this podcast on construct searches:

https://vimeo.com/170110178

• Like 1

Hi Mark, yes, I have begun looking at the items in the help index as you suggested, and will definitely look at the podcast. Thanks for showing me how to delete, also. It worked.

Hi Mark, that was an excellent introduction to this wonderful tool. I found myself into the e Academy and plant to watch a couple of other videos there. AS you know, I am particularly interested in the construct chains right now. So, is there a more advanced Hebrew video on that topic? Or is there a page that includes examples of constructs. I began with the easiest of all, and it worked very well for me. I am ready to take it to the next level. For example, how do I specify that I want the definite article to appear in the absolute noun that ends the chain? Thanks!

Edited by Bielikov

I'm ready for my next question. I have a CONSTRUCT NOUN + ABSOLUTE NOUN and now I wish to add an attributive adjective to my construct chain. How do I do that? Thanks.

When creating a construct, the easiest thing to do is to find an example in the Text and copy it. Do you have a verse in mind that contains the forms you're looking for?

Hi Mark, I feel quite privileged to be speaking with you. I am in the middle of listening to a training seminar by David Lang, where he speaks very highly of you and your understanding of Hebrew.

I do not have a reference verse from the Bible yet, that is what I am looking for. But I believe I can explain what I am looking for. In BBH, the author speaks about Construct Nouns with Attributive Adjectives and then gives some examples, such as "the good king of the land" where an attributive adjective either modifies the construct noun or the absolute noun, in this case, being the masculine good is related to king. Another example is "the king of the good land," where the feminine good modifies the feminine land. In some cases, where all are feminine or all are masculine, then context is the determining factor. So I want to find myself examples from the Bible where I can test myself and practice. So the chain should look something like this, to the best of my abilities:

I will write from left to right even though in the tool, it will appear correctly, from right to left.

NOUN, CONSTRUCT + NOUN, ABSOLUTE + ADJECTIVE

What I do not know, is what labels to put on the adjective.

Oh, also, David Land speaks about one of your podcasts in e Academy and I would love to listen to it, but am not sure how to find it.

Many thanks from Chile

I can assure you that David gives me more credit that I deserve.

That being said, this is a pretty complicated search to set up, since a "definite" construct chain can be definite based on whether or not the definite article is present, or it has a pronominal suffix, or it's a proper name. You could build three separate constructs, then link them with the <OR> command in the HMT tab. Then you'd have to add the adjective, which needs to agree in gender and number with the construct noun or absolute noun.

It might be easier to show you how to create one example and proceed from there. In the attached image, the adjective is agreeing with the absolute noun. It's also definite because of the addition of the definite article.

BTW, you could also find valid hits by dragging the leg of the "agree" item over the "NOUN construct" item.

Screen%20Shot%202020-02-26%20at%202.37.5

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

I can assure you that David gives me more credit that I deserve.

That being said, this is a pretty complicated search to set up, since a "definite" construct chain can be definite based on whether or not the definite article is present, or it has a pronominal suffix, or it's a proper name. You could build three separate constructs, then link them with the <OR> command in the HMT tab. Then you'd have to add the adjective, which needs to agree in gender and number with the construct noun or absolute noun.

It might be easier to show you how to create one example and proceed from there. In the attached image, the adjective is agreeing with the absolute noun. It's also definite because of the addition of the definite article.

BTW, you could also find valid hits by dragging the leg of the "agree" item over the "NOUN construct" item.

Screen%20Shot%202020-02-26%20at%202.37.5

Mark, very, very nice. I think I am going to have fun with this one. In my case, I do not want it to necessarily match the adjective with the absolute, it may turn out that it matches with the construct. In other words, it is a test for me to keep me on my toes and checking to see which it matches. So that it may be clearly "the good king of the land," "the king of the good land," or both. I gave a false example, of course, but you get the idea. This screenshot will be very helpful to me. Now, I wonder if there is a repository of screenshots such as this one, with a line or two of explanation for different searches. Anyway, I am looking forward to experimenting with this, with and without the definite article, and so on. Many thanks!

Mark, very, very nice. I think I am going to have fun with this one. In my case, I do not want it to necessarily match the adjective with the absolute, it may turn out that it matches with the construct. In other words, it is a test for me to keep me on my toes and checking to see which it matches. So that it may be clearly "the good king of the land," "the king of the good land," or both. I gave a false example, of course, but you get the idea. This screenshot will be very helpful to me. Now, I wonder if there is a repository of screenshots such as this one, with a line or two of explanation for different searches. Anyway, I am looking forward to experimenting with this, with and without the definite article, and so on. Many thanks!

I would also like to see something like a list of searches and functionalities and a quick index for searches. I don't really have time to watch years of videos and listen to hours of podcasts myself. these examples and small snips of functionality have been more helpful to me personally

• Like 2

Just FYI- Your competitor has an entire wiki page set up to explain search functions and search logic. Something like this may be helpful for Accordance and people that just need to quickly search how to do a search (semi-pun intended). Just a thought and a time saver, plus it helps people to not have to post questions and wait for answers, a win for everyone in my opinion

• Like 5

Mark, I have figured out the construct chain for the definite article, for the proper noun, and several others. I was not able to create one for the pronominal suffix, even though I added a pronominal suffix to the second noun, both as construct and as absolute. Your help would be helpful. Thanks!

Try this:

Screen%20Shot%202020-02-28%20at%206.40.4

Edited by Mark Allison

Mark, I'm feeling good that this is precisely what I had created. But note, some of the absolutes do not have a pronominal suffix. For example, Genesis 1:20, and 1:30. Thanks!

Edited by Bielikov

I also notice that in many instances it does not turn to red some of the construct words. Not the end of the world, but why is this happening? All in Genesis 2:1 is not shown in red. Man in Genesis 2:18.

Or how about Genesis 2:20, another strange thing, עֵ֖זֶר כְּנֶגְדּֽוֹ, where our model dictates that help ought to be in the construct state, but it is in the absolute, while כְּנֶגְדּֽוֹ is in the construct, contrary to our model. Any help would be most welcome. 

Just FYI- Your competitor has an entire wiki page set up to explain search functions and search logic. Something like this may be helpful for Accordance and people that just need to quickly search how to do a search (semi-pun intended). Just a thought and a time saver, plus it helps people to not have to post questions and wait for answers, a win for everyone in my opinion

I think this is an excellent suggestion. I would put my +1 for it, as well as for other areas than Hebrew constructs, obviously (like the real stuff, i.e., Greek!)  :)

• Like 1