Notes in tools?

Rod Decker

Am I correct in concluding that user notes can only be entered on a verse basis? That it is not possible to add notes to any other tool, such as a lexicon?

I'm probably one of the few who does not make much use of user notes, but as I've been working on various projects of late I've decided that this is something that could be useful to me in a lexical tool such as BDAG. But having decided that, I think I've discovered that this isn't possible. (I'd love to be wrong on this! ;) )

No Rod, you can't add user notes to tools, but you could easily create a user tool called BDAG Notes, and collect your notes there. You could also link back to BDAG from your user tool using the new user tool hyperlinks. Finally, if you want some kind of visual cue within BDAG that you've written a note at a specific point, you could always use a highlight style and highlight something at that point in BDAG.

Thanks. The workaround should work, though it wouldn't be nearly as seamless as having user notes (extra steps each time to create the link). Perhaps it would be worth considering the option of user lexical notes as an additional feature down the road. It shouldn't be too difficult for lexical tools that have distinct entries, and all Greek lexicons, e.g., could share the same notes file as verse files are shared among texts and versions now.

Archived