ICYMI: Targums Wordmap

R. Mansfield

We released the Targums Wordmap during the ETS/SBL conferences back in November, but didn't publicize it much because it requires Accordance 13.0.3 or higher to run, and this update was not available at the time. We are giving it more attention this week with an introductory 33% discount through next week. Note that this tool is totally unparalleled in Bible Software. For more information, check out today's blog post.

• Like 5

Thanks Accordance!  Makes me proud to be an Accordance user.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Good stuff! It would be fantastic if you could add some Sokoloff dictionaries for these Targums.

Any plans to extend it for the Prophets and Writings?

Edited by Mendel
  • Like 4

Just purchased and started using this.  Help me understand: what is currently limited about this tool to only Genesis to Leviticus?

The cross-highlighting appears to work throughout the Tanakh (yay!), and not only be limited to Genesis to Leviticus. (see first screenshot).

But on the other hand, why do certain obvious equivalent expressions not cross-highlight, such as miy (who?) in Hebrew, and man (who?) in Aramaic?  (see second screenshot).

Um... wait a minute: why can I no longer upload images here in the forum?  I don't have the option to attach an image anymore--neither in Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer.  Did you change the forum somehow?  (see my comment to this effect here).

At any rate, for any of you have this module, note that many things which are "equivalents" aren't cross-highlighting.  I gave one example above with miy (who?) in Hebrew, and man (who?) in Aramaic.  Also, the divine name in Hebrew doesn't cross-highlight with the divine substitution in the targums.  Why?

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

danielcutri:

No, it does not include the Targums text yourself.  You'll need to own those texts as well to make use of the WordMap.

TYA:

The WordMap only covers Gen-Lev right now.  In the absence of the WordMap, Accordance attempts to cross-highlight results based on common lexical forms.  Because of the number of cognates and 'Hebraisms' throughout the Targums this may give the appearance of an alignment, but it is quite inaccurate (an unfortunate side-effect of Aramaic using the same letters as Hebrew).  There is only this accurate alignment throughout Gen-Lev.

However, throughout Gen-Lev you should find the alignment top-notch.  It really is a very high-quality, scholarly work.  Prof. Gottlieb and his team have done a fantastic job.  If you find the alignment isn't working in Gen-Lev, then you may not have the database installed yet.

Mendel:

The project in theory would like to extend to the Prophets, Writings, and even other sets of texts, but these would all be significant future endeavors, depending on a lot of other external factors.  The scope of the "definitely coming" part is the Torah.

• Like 5

Is there any tutorial how to use it?  

Just so happens that I'm in the final stages of editing a video right now!

Joel Brown is the one doing the demoing.

[My apologies for posting this as another user a moment ago. I had been helping him with a password and had forgotten to log out of his profile.]

• Like 1

TYA:

The WordMap only covers Gen-Lev right now.  In the absence of the WordMap, Accordance attempts to cross-highlight results based on common lexical forms.

Thanks for this explanation, and I just want to say a big "thank you" again.  This is marvelous.  I'm even glad that they / you decided to release it before it was 100% complete.  Thanks Accordance for investing in this direction.

• Like 1

The idea of other wordmaps coming is really exciting.

• Like 4

With the MT-LXX database I can do searches that allow me to find how particular words are translated i.e. coordinating the matches between one language and the other. For example, I can find all instance where AHV is translated as Agape, or all instances where AHV is not translated as agape. Because it is possible for the Hebrew text to have multiple words for "love" in the same verse and it is possible for the Greek text to also have multiple words for "love" in the same verse. Simply looking for verses that contain specific words in each verse does not allow for accurate searching. The MT-LXX module let's me compare the exact word in each version when doing searches. 

Is there any way to do this with the word maps?

The following is the result of a search for AHV where it is not translated as agape:

Gen. 27:4
אהבתי φιλῶ {+}57 ἐγώ
Gen. 27:9
אהב φιλεῖ

Gen. 27:14
‏אהב ἐφίλει
Gen. 37:4
אהב ~20 =22אבי/הם ὁ πατὴρ
~20 אבי/הם =22אהב φιλεῖ
1Sam. 18:1
*03‏ו/יאהב/ו‎ **05‏ו/יאהב/הו‎ --- ''13
1Kings 11:1
‏אהב נשׁים‎ ἦν φιλογύναιος
Is. 56:10
‏אהבי‎ φιλοῦντες
Jer. 20:4
‏אהב/יך‎ τοῖς φίλοις σου
Jer. 20:6
‏אהב/יך‎ οἱ φίλοι σου
Jer. 22:20
‏מאהב/יך οἱ ἐρασταί σου

Note: I was going to add some example pictures from Accordance, but the option no longer appears to add a file attachment. 

Also, the video shows a word map tool, but notes that it won't be available until 13.1.0. Are there any estimates about how long it will be before this release is provided?

• Like 1

Mike, responding to both of your points.

1) The 13.1 requirement is only for the special “Alignment Pane” viewing of the data. All of the cross highlighting, search, and analysis is already available in 13.0.4.

2) yes, the type of search you specify is precisely one of the things we wanted the WordMap to do. This would be done using something like:

Lex1@[TARG-T lex2]

Or for negative:

Lex1@-[TARG-T lex2]

To answer your question about timing, we never like promising dates. That being said, it will be the next semi-major (free for 13 users) upgrade of Accordance, so it shouldn’t take too long.

• Like 2

Mike, responding to both of your points.

1) The 13.1 requirement is only for the special “Alignment Pane” viewing of the data. All of the cross highlighting, search, and analysis is already available in 13.0.4.

2) yes, the type of search you specify is precisely one of the things we wanted the WordMap to do. This would be done using something like:

Lex1@[TARG-T lex2]

Or for negative:

Lex1@-[TARG-T lex2]

To answer your question about timing, we never like promising dates. That being said, it will be the next semi-major (free for 13 users) upgrade of Accordance, so it shouldn’t take too long.

I can no longer post a picture otherwise I would include a screen shot.

However, the positive search ([TARG-T ‏רחם‎]@אהב=) appears to work but the negative search ([TARG-T ‏רחם‎]-@אהב=) does not. 

The negative search return the following verse which all contain רחם; however, there is no apparent mapping to these verses i.e. cross highlighting does not work 

Deut. 4:37‏ וּחלָף אֲרֵי רָחֵים יָת אֲבָהָתָך וְאִתרְעִי בִבנֵיהוֹן בָתְרֵיהוֹן וְאַפְקָך בְמֵימְרֵיה בְחֵילֵיה רַבָא מִמִצרָיִם׃

‎Deut. 5:10‏ וְעָבֵיד טֵיבוּ לְאַלפֵי דָרִין לְרָחֲמַי וּלנָטְרֵי פִקוֹדָי׃

‎Deut. 6:5‏ וְתִרחַם יָת יוי אֲלָהָך בְכֹל לִיבָך וּבכָל נַפשָׁך וּבכָל נִכסָך׃

‎Deut. 7:9‏ וְתִידַע אֲרֵי יוי אֲלָהָך הוּא אֲלֹהִים אֲלָהָא מְהֵימְנָא נָטַר קִיָמָא וְחִסדָא לְרָחֲמוֹהִי וּלנָטְרֵי פִקוֹדוֹהִי לְאַלַף דָרִין׃

‎Deut. 7:13‏ וְיִרחֲמִינָך וִיבָרְכִינָך וְיַסגֵינָך וִיבָרֵיך וַלדָא דִמעָך וְאִיבָא דְאַרעָך עִיבוּרָך וְחַמרָך וּמִשׁחָך בַקרֵי תוֹרָך וְעַדרֵי עָנָך עַל ארעא דְקַיֵים לְאַבָהָתָך לְמִיתַן לָך׃

I can no longer post a picture otherwise I would include a screen shot.

Side note: you can't post a picture because this thread is in the Announcements section where only admins can post pictures.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

The examples you pasted are all from Deuteronomy. Please bear in mind that at this time the WordMap covers Genesis through Leviticus. That is why the highlighting in Deuteronomy isn't working for you.

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

The examples you pasted are all from Deuteronomy. Please bear in mind that at this time the WordMap covers Genesis through Leviticus. That is why the highlighting in Deuteronomy isn't working for you.

Yep, I missed that. Any idea on how soon before Num-Deut. will be available?

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

When I limit the searches to Gen-Lev, the word maps appear to work well;however, I did notice one questionable mapping

”וַיֵּרֶד יְהוָה לִרְאֹת אֶת־הָעִיר וְאֶת־הַמִּגְדָּל אֲשֶׁר בָּנוּ בְּנֵי הָאָדָם׃“
(Genesis 11:5 Hebrew Masoretic Text)

”וְאִתגְלִי יוי עַל עוֹבָד קַרתָא וּמִגדְלָא דִבנוֹ בְנֵי אֲנָשָׁא“
(Genesis 11:5 Aramaic Targums (Onkelos, Jonathan, and the Writings))

In this verse ירד maps to גלי but I believe, despite the structural differences, that גלי should map to ראה

When I limit the searches to Gen-Lev, the word maps appear to work well;however, I did notice one questionable mapping

”וַיֵּרֶד יְהוָה לִרְאֹת אֶת־הָעִיר וְאֶת־הַמִּגְדָּל אֲשֶׁר בָּנוּ בְּנֵי הָאָדָם׃“
(Genesis 11:5 Hebrew Masoretic Text)

”וְאִתגְלִי יוי עַל עוֹבָד קַרתָא וּמִגדְלָא דִבנוֹ בְנֵי אֲנָשָׁא“
(Genesis 11:5 Aramaic Targums (Onkelos, Jonathan, and the Writings))

In this verse ירד maps to גלי but I believe, despite the structural differences, that גלי should map to ראה

The alignment is correct, since Onkelos and other Targumim want to get rid of anthropomorphism like going down. That's why they use reveal. 

The alignment is correct, since Onkelos and other Targumim want to get rid of anthropomorphism like going down. That's why they use reveal. 

While I do agree that the Targums likely wanted to get rid of the anthropomorphism, wouldn't these usages argue against the chosen mapping for this verse?

”‏וְאִתגְלִי יוי לְאַברָם וַאֲמַר לִיבנָך אִיתֵין יָת ארעא הָדָא וּבנָא תַמָן מַדבְחָא קדם יוי דְאִתגְלִי לֵיה׃‎
‏וְצַלִיאַת בִשׁמָא דַיוי דְאִתמַלַל עִימַה אְמַרַת אַת הוּא אֲלָהָא חָזֵי כוֹלָא אֲרֵי אֲמַרַת אַף אֲנָא שָׁרִיתִי חָזיָא בָתַר דְאִתגְלִי לִי׃‎
‏וַהֲוָה אַברָם בַר תִשׁעִין וְתִישַׁע שְׁנִין וְאִתגְלִי יוי לְאַברָם וַאֲמַר לֵיה אֲנָא אֵל שַׁדַי פְלַח קְדָמַי וִהוִי שְׁלִים׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלֵי לֵיה יוי בְמֵישְׁרֵי מַמרֵא וְהוּא יָתֵיב בִתרַע מַשׁכְנָא כְמֵיחַם יוֹמָא׃‎
‏וַאֲמַר אַברָהָם קְדָם יוי גְלִי <ליה> אִימְרָא לַעֲלָתָא בְרִי וַאֲזַלוּ תַרוֵיהוֹן כַחדָא׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלִי לֵיה יוי וַאֲמַר לָא תֵיחוֹת לְמִצרַיִם שְׁרִי בארעא דְאֵימַר לָך׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלִי לֵיה יוי בְלֵיליָא הַהוּא וַאֲמַר אֲנָא אֲלָהֵיה דְאברהם אֲבוּך לָא תִדחַל אֲרֵי בְסַעֲדָך מֵימְרִי וַאֲבָרְכִינָך וְאַסגֵי יָת בְנָך בְדִיל אברהם עַבדִי׃‎
‏וְעַדִיאַת לֵאָה וִילֵידַת בַר וּקרָת שְׁמֵיה רְאוּבֵן אֲרֵי אֲמַרַת אֲרֵי גְלִי קדם יוי עוּלבָנִי אֲרֵי כְעַן יִרחֲמִינַנִי בַעלִי׃‎
‏וַאֲמַר זְקוֹף כְעַן עֵינָך וּחזִי כֹל תֵישַׁיָא דְסָלְקִין עַל עָנָא רְגוֹלִין נְמוֹרִין וּפַצִיחִין אֲרֵי גְלֵי קְדָמַי יָת כֹל דְלָבָן עָבֵיד לָך׃‎
‏אִילוּ לָאפוֹן אֲלָהֵיה דְאַבָא אֲלָהֵיה דְאַברָהָם וּדדָחֵיל לֵיה יִצחָק הֲוָה בְסַעֲדִי אֲרֵי כְעַן רֵיקָן שְׁלַחתַנִי יָת עַמלִי וְיָת לֵיאוּת יְדַי גְלֵי קדם יוי וְאוֹכַח בְרַמשָׁא׃‎
‏וַאֲמַר יוי לְיַעֲקֹב קוּם סַק לְבֵית־אֵל וְתִיב תַמָן וְעִיבֵיד תַמָן מַדבַח לְאֵל דְאִתגְלִי לָך בְמִערְקָך מִן־קְדָם עֵשָׂו אֲחוּך׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלִי יוי לְיַעֲקֹב עוֹד בְמֵיתוֹהִי מִפַדַן דַאֲרָם וּבָרֵיך יָתֵיה׃‎
‏וַאֲמַר יַעֲקֹב לְיוֹסֵף אֵל שַׁדַי אִתגְלִי לִי בְלוּז בְאַרעָא דִכנָעַן וּבָרֵיך יָתִי׃‎
‏וּגלֵי קְדָם יוי שִׁעבוּדָא דִבנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וַאְמַר בְמֵימְרֵיה לְמִפרַקהוֹן יוי׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלִי מַלאְכָא דַיוי לֵיה בְשַׁלהוֹבִית אִישָׁתָא מִגוֹ אַסַנָא וַחזָא וְהָא אַסַנָא בָעַר בְאִישָׁתָא וַאְסַנָא לָיְתוֹהִי מִתאְכִיל׃‎
‏וַאְמַר יוי מִגלָא גְלֵי קְדָמַי שִׁעבוּד עַמִי דִבמִצרָיִם וְיָת קְבִילַתהוֹן שְׁמִיַע קְדָמַי מִן־קְדָם מַפִלחֵיהוֹן אְרֵי גְלֵי קְדָמַי כֵיבְהוֹן׃‎
‏וּכעַן הָא קְבִילַת בְנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל עְלַת לִקדָמַי וְאַף גְלֵי קְדָמַי דוּחקָא דְמִצרָאֵי דָחְקִין לְהוֹן׃‎
‏אִיזֵיל וְתִכנוֹשׁ יָת סָבֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְתֵימַר לְהוֹן יוי אְלָהָא דַאְבָהָתְכוֹן אִתגְלִי לִי אְלָהֵה דאברהם יצחק ויעקב לְמֵימַר מִדכָר דְכִירנָא יָתְכוֹן וְיָת דְאִתעְבֵיד לְכוֹן במצרים׃‎
‏וַאְתֵיב מֹשַׁה וַאְמַר וְהָא לָא יְהֵימְנוּן לִי וְלָא יְקַבְלוּן מִנִי אְרֵי יֵימְרוּן לָא אִתגְלִי לָך יוי׃‎
‏בְדִיל דִיהֵימְנוּן אְרֵי אִתגְלִי לָך יוי אְלָהָא דַאְבָהָתְהוֹן אְלָהֵיה דְאַברָהָם אְלָהֵיה דיצחק וַאְלָהֵיה דְיַעְקֹב׃‎
‏וְהֵימֵין עַמָא וּשׁמַעוּ אְרֵי דְכִיר יוי יָת בְנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וַאְרֵי גְלֵי קְדָמוֹהִי שִׁעבוּדְהוֹן וּכרַעוּ וּסגִידוּ׃‎
‏וַאְמַרוּ לְהוֹן אִתגְלִי יוי עְלֵיכוֹן וְיִתפְרַע דְאַבאֵישׁתוּן יָת רֵיחַנָא בְעֵינֵי פַרעֹה וּבעֵינֵי עַבדוֹהִי לְמִיתַן חַרבָא בְיַדהוֹן לְמִקטְלַנָא׃‎
‏וְאִתגְלִיתִי לְאברהם ליצחק וּליעקב בְאֵל שַׁדָי וּשׁמִי יוי לָא הוֹדַעִית לְהוֹן׃‎
‏וַהְוָה כַד מַלֵיל אהרן עִם כֹל כְנִשׁתָא דְבנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאִתפְנִיאוּ לְמַדבְרָא וְהָא יְקָרָא דַיוי אִתגְלִי בַעְנָנָא׃‎
‏וַאְמַר יוי לְמֹשַׁה גְלֵי קְדָמַי עַמָא הָדֵין וְהָא עַם קְשֵׁי קְדָל הוּא׃‎
‏וּכעַן אִם כְעַן אַשׁכַחִית רַחמִין קְדָמָך הוֹדַענִי כְעַן יָת אוֹרַח טוּבָך וְאִידַע רַחמָך בְדִיל דְאַשׁכַח רַחמִין קְדָמָך וּגלֵי קְדָמָך אְרֵי עַמָך עַמָא הָדֵין׃‎
‏וְתוֹר וּדכַר לְנִכסַת קֻדשַׁיָא לְדַבָחָא קְדָם יוי וּמִנחָתָא דְפִילָא בִמשַׁח אְרֵי יוֹמָא דֵין יְקָרָא דַיוי מִתגְלֵי לְכוֹן׃‎
‏וַאְמַר מֹשַׁה דֵין פִתגָמָא דְפַקֵיד יוי תַעבְדוּן וְיִתגְלֵי לְכוֹן יְקָרָא דַיוי׃‎
‏וְעָל משׁה ואהרן לְמַשׁכַן זִמנָא וּנפַקוּ וְבָרִיכְו יָת עַמָא וְאִתגְלִי יְקָרָא דַיוי לְכֹל עַמָא׃‎ ‏וַאְמַר יוי לְמֹשַׁה מַלֵיל עִם אהרן אְחוּך וְלָא יְהֵי עָלֵיל בְכָל עִידָן לְקוּדשָׁא מִיגָיו לְפָרֻכתָא לִקדָם כָפוּרתָא דְעַל אְרוֹנָא וְלָא יְמוּת אְרֵי בַעְנָנָא אְנָא מִתגְלֵי עַל בֵית כַפוֹרֵי׃“

(Genesis 12:7; 16:13; 17:1; 18:1; 22:8; 26:2, 24; 29:32; 31:12, 42; 35:1, 9; 48:3; Exodus 2:25; 3:2, 7, 9, 16; 4:1, 5, 31; 5:21; 6:3; 16:10; 32:9; 33:13; Leviticus 9:4, 6, 23; 16:2 Aramaic Targums (Onkelos, Jonathan, and the Writings))

”‏וַיֵּרָא יְהוָה אֶל־אַבְרָם וַיֹּאמֶר לְזַרְעֲךָ אֶתֵּן אֶת־הָאָרֶץ הַזֹּאת וַיִּבֶן שָׁם מִזְבֵּחַ לַיהוָה הַנִּרְאֶה אֵלָיו׃‎
‏וַתִּקְרָא שֵׁם־יְהוָה הַדֹּבֵר אֵלֶיהָ אַתָּה אֵל רֳאִי כִּי אָמְרָה הֲגַם הֲלֹם רָאִיתִי אַחֲרֵי רֹאִי׃‎
‏וַיְהִי אַבְרָם בֶּן־תִּשְׁעִים שָׁנָה וְתֵשַׁע שָׁנִים וַיֵּרָא יְהוָה אֶל־אַבְרָם וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו אֲנִי־אֵל שַׁדַּי הִתְהַלֵּךְ לְפָנַי וֶהְיֵה תָמִים׃‎
‏וַיֵּרָא אֵלָיו יְהוָה בְּאֵלֹנֵי מַמְרֵא וְהוּא יֹשֵׁב פֶּתַח־הָאֹהֶל כְּחֹם הַיּוֹם׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר אַבְרָהָם אֱלֹהִים יִרְאֶה־לּוֹ הַשֶּׂה לְעֹלָה בְּנִי וַיֵּלְכוּ שְׁנֵיהֶם יַחְדָּו׃‎
‏וַיֵּרָא אֵלָיו יְהוָה וַיֹּאמֶר אַל־תֵּרֵד מִצְרָיְמָה שְׁכֹן בָּאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר אֹמַר אֵלֶיךָ׃‎
‏וַיֵּרָא אֵלָיו יְהוָה בַּלַּיְלָה הַהוּא וַיֹּאמֶר אָנֹכִי אֱלֹהֵי אַבְרָהָם אָבִיךָ אַל־תִּירָא כִּי־אִתְּךָ אָנֹכִי וּבֵרַכְתִּיךָ וְהִרְבֵּיתִי אֶת־זַרְעֲךָ בַּעֲבוּר אַבְרָהָם עַבְדִּי׃‎
‏וַתַּהַר לֵאָה וַתֵּלֶד בֵּן וַתִּקְרָא שְׁמוֹ רְאוּבֵן כִּי אָמְרָה כִּי־רָאָה יְהוָה בְּעָנְיִי כִּי עַתָּה יֶאֱהָבַנִי אִישִׁי׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר שָׂא־נָא עֵינֶיךָ וּרְאֵה כָּל־הָעַתֻּדִים הָעֹלִים עַל־הַצֹּאן עֲקֻדִּים נְקֻדִּים וּבְרֻדִּים כִּי רָאִיתִי אֵת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר לָבָן עֹשֶׂה לָּךְ׃‎
‏לוּלֵי אֱלֹהֵי אָבִי אֱלֹהֵי אַבְרָהָם וּפַחַד יִצְחָק הָיָה לִי כִּי עַתָּה רֵיקָם שִׁלַּחְתָּנִי אֶת־עָנְיִי וְאֶת־יְגִיעַ כַּפַּי רָאָה אֱלֹהִים וַיּוֹכַח אָמֶשׁ׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים אֶל־יַעֲקֹב קוּם עֲלֵה בֵית־אֵל וְשֶׁב־שָׁם וַעֲשֵׂה־שָׁם מִזְבֵּחַ לָאֵל הַנִּרְאֶה אֵלֶיךָ בְּבָרְחֲךָ מִפְּנֵי עֵשָׂו אָחִיךָ׃‎
‏וַיֵּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֶל־יַעֲקֹב עוֹד בְּבֹאוֹ מִפַּדַּן אֲרָם וַיְבָרֶךְ אֹתוֹ׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר יַעֲקֹב אֶל־יוֹסֵף אֵל שַׁדַּי נִרְאָה־אֵלַי בְּלוּז בְּאֶרֶץ כְּנָעַן וַיְבָרֶךְ אֹתִי׃‎
‏וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים אֶת־בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וַיֵּדַע אֱלֹהִים׃ ס‎
‏וַיֵּרָא מַלְאַךְ יְהוָֹה אֵלָיו בְּלַבַּת־אֵשׁ מִתּוֹךְ הַסְּנֶה וַיַּרְא וְהִנֵּה הַסְּנֶה בֹּעֵר בָּאֵשׁ וְהַסְּנֶה אֵינֶנּוּ אֻכָּל׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה רָאֹה רָאִיתִי אֶת־עֳנִי עַמִּי אֲשֶׁר בְּמִצְרָיִם וְאֶת־צַעֲקָתָם שָׁמַעְתִּי מִפְּנֵי נֹגְשָׂיו כִּי יָדַעְתִּי אֶת־מַכְאֹבָיו׃‎
‏וְעַתָּה הִנֵּה צַעֲקַת בְּנֵי־יִשְׂרָאֵל בָּאָה אֵלָי וְגַם־רָאִיתִי אֶת־הַלַּחַץ אֲשֶׁר מִצְרַיִם לֹחֲצִים אֹתָם׃‎
‏לֵךְ וְאָסַפְתָּ אֶת־זִקְנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאָמַרְתָּ אֲלֵהֶם יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵי אֲבֹתֵיכֶם נִרְאָה אֵלַי אֱלֹהֵי אַבְרָהָם יִצְחָק וְיַעֲקֹב לֵאמֹר פָּקֹד פָּקַדְתִּי אֶתְכֶם וְאֶת־הֶעָשׂוּי לָכֶם בְּמִצְרָיִם׃‎
‏וַיַּעַן מֹשֶׁה וַיֹּאמֶר וְהֵן לֹא־יַאֲמִינוּ לִי וְלֹא יִשְׁמְעוּ בְּקֹלִי כִּי יֹאמְרוּ לֹא־נִרְאָה אֵלֶיךָ יְהוָה׃‎
‏לְמַעַן יַאֲמִינוּ כִּי־נִרְאָה אֵלֶיךָ יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵי אֲבֹתָם אֱלֹהֵי אַבְרָהָם אֱלֹהֵי יִצְחָק וֵאלֹהֵי יַעֲקֹב׃‎
‏וַיַּאֲמֵן הָעָם וַיִּשְׁמְעוּ כִּי־פָקַד יְהוָה אֶת־בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְכִי רָאָה אֶת־עָנְיָם וַיִּקְּדוּ וַיִּשְׁתַּחֲוּוּ׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמְרוּ אֲלֵהֶם יֵרֶא יְהוָה עֲלֵיכֶם וְיִשְׁפֹּט אֲשֶׁר הִבְאַשְׁתֶּם אֶת־רֵיחֵנוּ בְּעֵינֵי פַרְעֹה וּבְעֵינֵי עֲבָדָיו לָתֶת־חֶרֶב בְּיָדָם לְהָרְגֵנוּ׃‎
‏וָאֵרָא אֶל־אַבְרָהָם אֶל־יִצְחָק וְאֶל־יַעֲקֹב בְּאֵל שַׁדָּי וּשְׁמִי יְהוָה לֹא נוֹדַעְתִּי לָהֶם׃‎
‏וַיְהִי כְּדַבֵּר אַהֲרֹן אֶל־כָּל־עֲדַת בְּנֵי־יִשְׂרָאֵל וַיִּפְנוּ אֶל־הַמִּדְבָּר וְהִנֵּה כְּבוֹד יְהוָה נִרְאָה בֶּעָנָן׃ פ‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל־מֹשֶׁה רָאִיתִי אֶת־הָעָם הַזֶּה וְהִנֵּה עַם־קְשֵׁה־עֹרֶף הוּא׃‎
‏וְעַתָּה אִם־נָא מָצָאתִי חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ הוֹדִעֵנִי נָא אֶת־דְּרָכֶךָ וְאֵדָעֲךָ לְמַעַן אֶמְצָא־חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ וּרְאֵה כִּי עַמְּךָ הַגּוֹי הַזֶּה׃‎
‏וְשׁוֹר וָאַיִל לִשְׁלָמִים לִזְבֹּחַ לִפְנֵי יְהוָה וּמִנְחָה בְּלוּלָה בַשָּׁמֶן כִּי הַיּוֹם יְהוָה נִרְאָה אֲלֵיכֶם׃‎
‏וַיֹּאמֶר מֹשֶׁה זֶה הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר־צִוָּה יְהוָה תַּעֲשׂוּ וְיֵרָא אֲלֵיכֶם כְּבוֹד יְהוָה׃‎
‏וַיָּבֹא מֹשֶׁה וְאַהֲרֹן אֶל־אֹהֶל מוֹעֵד וַיֵּצְאוּ וַיְבָרֲכוּ אֶת־הָעָם וַיֵּרָא כְבוֹד־יְהוָה אֶל־כָּל־הָעָם׃‎ ‏וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל־מֹשֶׁה דַּבֵּר אֶל־אַהֲרֹן אָחִיךָ וְאַל־יָבֹא בְכָל־עֵת אֶל־הַקֹּדֶשׁ מִבֵּית לַפָּרֹכֶת אֶל־פְּנֵי הַכַּפֹּרֶת אֲשֶׁר עַל־הָאָרֹן וְלֹא יָמוּת כִּי בֶּעָנָן אֵרָאֶה עַל־הַכַּפֹּרֶת׃“
(Genesis 12:7; 16:13; 17:1; 18:1; 22:8; 26:2, 24; 29:32; 31:12, 42; 35:1, 9; 48:3; Exodus 2:25; 3:2, 7, 9, 16; 4:1, 5, 31; 5:21; 6:3; 16:10; 32:9; 33:13; Leviticus 9:4, 6, 23; 16:2 Hebrew Masoretic Text with Westminster Hebrew Morphology)

I don't understand what you want to tell me. Just check Gen 11:7, 18:21, Ex 3:8, 19:11, 19:18, 19:20. Where ירד is translated by the Lexeme גלי. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what you want to tell me. Just check Gen 11:7, 18:21, Ex 3:8, 19:11, 19:18, 19:20. Where ירד is translated by the Lexeme גלי. 

Some of these are quite interesting i.e. still not sure about the mapping but I see where the idea comes from.