John Chrysostom - Against the Jews

TYA

I happened to need to look something up in John Chrysostom's "Against the Jews" (a.k.a. "Discourses Against Judaizing Christians (Adversus Judaeos [orationes 1–8])"), and I was a bit surprised that this wasn't included in the module "Church Fathers (Nicene & Post 1) (Philip Schaff)"

When checking in the Research Tab, I had over 100 hits to this "Against the Jews" by Chrysostom, and yet, again, the work isn't actually in Accordance.  Could someone explain why that is?  I'm not an expert on these early Christian writers--especially not such flattering titles as this one--but I'm sure someone here can explain why it's not included.

(Oh, and no one should mistake this as a formal request for such a work on my part :) )

Thanks, Steve.  That link seems to be for Hippolytus, not Chrysostom.  I do appreciate the answer though.

All the best.

Reading "reading scriptures with the fathers" it could be as simple as its not been translated into English. There are still a lot to be translated from other fathers but it looks like work has started on modernizing major texts as well as translating those not previously available.

i did find this link

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/source/chrysostom-jews6.asp

Edited by ukfraser

it could be as simple as its not been translated into English

Thanks, ukfraser.  Actually, it has been translated into English by at least two, if not three different people.  See the introduction here: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/chrysostom_adversus_judaeos_00_eintro.htm

Edited by TYA

Sorry, thats me not being more precise.  not translated when schaff was collating his translations is what i was trying to hint at. 

The links you and i have found  appear to all post date schaff's work-by over 50 years. Philip Schaff (1819-1893) wrote one of the finest histories of the church available. His eight-volume work published in 1910 (apparently after his death).

there appears a wealth of early father material still to be translated. 

exciting times. 

;o) 

Thanks again.

The files that are here make it look like it would be very easy to make a User Tool with all 8 homilies. If anyone does this, please post it to the Exchange.

• Like 1

The files that are here make it look like it would be very easy to make a User Tool with all 8 homilies. If anyone does this, please post it to the Exchange.

I would prefer Accordance get a license and add this.

• Like 1

I would prefer Accordance get a license and add this.

Of course, but in the meantime...

Incidentally, we have a new contract for a large number of Patristic titles--much newer translations than what's in Schaff--that hopefully we will see in 2020. Unfortunately, I don't see this particular title among them.

• Like 3

I’m just adding a plug for user tools in general. It’s always nice when Accordance develops the resources since they seem to have some tricks for making the formatting, links, etc much better than I can, but user tools are really wonderful for filling in the gaps and it’s great that we have this option.

• Like 3

I’m just adding a plug for user tools in general. It’s always nice when Accordance develops the resources since they seem to have some tricks for making the formatting, links, etc much better than I can, but user tools are really wonderful for filling in the gaps and it’s great that we have this option.

For blank text, yes, But for more the competitor is years ahead. 

• Like 1

I’m just adding a plug for user tools in general.

Agreed, except that I as a Windows user an awaiting significant improvements / fixes to the new PDF Import feature, as members of the Accordance Team know that I've now enumerated roughly seven bugs or glitches that prohibit me from making substantial use of this new feature.

I know that it can take time to work out the kinks.  I just mention this again here to appeal to Accordance that those fixes don't tarry too long.

Edited by TYA

There are a few other ways to create a User Tool than just PDF import. The Wikipedia article for this writing had a link to all 8 homilies on the same webpage. I saved it as an HTML file and imported it to Accordance. It took me all of five minutes to do this as well as make certain the headings were correct for each of the 8 homilies, so that there would be a table of contents. It probably still needs a little bit of work before uploading to the exchange, but if anyone wants it now, here it is.

I saved it as an HTML file and imported it to Accordance.

I know, Rick.  And I know this is headed off topic, but since you mention it, HTML Import actually works just as bad, if not worse than PDF Import for me.  So I actually need significant improvements in both.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Of course, but in the meantime...

Incidentally, we have a new contract for a large number of Patristic titles--much newer translations than what's in Schaff--that hopefully we will see in 2020. Unfortunately, I don't see this particular title among them.

Keep the tagged, original texts coming! Do what Accordance does best!

• Like 2

Keep the tagged, original texts coming!

What are you specifically referring to, Matt?

Edited by TYA

What are you specifically referring to, Matt?

I am hoping that Accordance will forward the agenda of pushing for texts, manuscripts etc, original language works in general from all areas of the ancient world and create tagged, searchable texts. That is what they do best. Forget listening commentaries and book series etc, focus on building the library of original language texts. That will give them a competitive edge in the market. Any other source out there have tagged, searchable Akkadian texts? Nope. More Syriac material would be awesome. Church fathers in Syriac and Greek would be awesome. Anything along those lines

• Like 2

I agree that more tagged texts would be great; and for me personally, Syriac / Aramaic resources!  There are roughly 10 Hebrew grammars and 10 Greek grammars, but only one 1 Aramaic grammar.  (I'll be putting in my request for Wheeler M. Thackston's Syriac Grammar momentarily, thanks to your motivation here).  Also, the Syriac writers, like Aphrahat, Ephrem, etc.  So yes.

And I as a Jew want more rabbinic texts--even if they aren't tagged.  So I'm with you regarding ancient texts, so to speak.  And while I know that resources are limited, and everything comes at the cost of something else, I still do enjoy some of the other resources.  I don't want to have to use "L" to if I can avoid it.

(Accordance: that hinges on your fixing the PDF Import with a major overhaul for Windows users... soon please!.)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

I had to use "L" for a lot of my book/monograph needs but Accordance does a better job on tagged texts, just think they should focus more on them. It is certainly what they do best! Accordance has better Peshitta material, the DSS material is WAY better and formatted better. Keep it coming!

• Like 2

has better Peshitta material

Don't forget my submissions to the Accordance Exchange, as I've put some nice Peshitta material there, along with a copy of Old Syriac and Cureton.

I mention it because I sincerely believe they have some advantages over Accordance's own texts, though my submissions aren't tagged.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

I am hoping that Accordance will forward the agenda of pushing for texts, manuscripts etc, original language works in general from all areas of the ancient world and create tagged, searchable texts. That is what they do best. Forget listening commentaries and book series etc, focus on building the library of original language texts. That will give them a competitive edge in the market. Any other source out there have tagged, searchable Akkadian texts? Nope. More Syriac material would be awesome. Church fathers in Syriac and Greek would be awesome. Anything along those lines

We will continue to do both. I agree that the tagged original language texts is an area that sets us apart. However, the commentaries and popular series usually sell better and in the end help fund our development of ancient texts. It's a symbiotic relationship :-)

• Like 8

We will continue to do both. I agree that the tagged original language texts is an area that sets us apart. However, the commentaries and popular series usually sell better and in the end help fund our development of ancient texts. It's a symbiotic relationship :-)

I get it- I work in a sales driven environment myself