different source texts in Instant Details

Leopold Green

I don't know whether this is my being dense of whether this is a feature request...

I try to have all of accordance set so that if I am searching/researching/reading the Hebrew Bible it shows JPS (1985) as default and if I am looking in the New Testament it is the NIV G/K (prefer the tagging) - the only place where I can't get this to work is Instant Details which always defaults to NIV - I presume because the default NT Text has priority over default Hebrew text? 

Can I change this? Am I missing something? If not can I request a new preference which allows you to set either NT or Hebrew is priority?

Also is it possible as you can do with combined resources to have a combined text for Hebrew Bible (trying not to say OT) and NT?

I don't know whether this is my being dense

You are not.  Personally I don't think you should keep speaking this way of yourself.  I think all your questions / ideas are good.

Can I change this?

Yes.  See below.

Am I missing something?

Yes, but in my opinion it's not your fault.  Things aren't laid out optimally in the Preferences in Accordance, regarding this.

Can I change this?

I would think that the option to change which versions appear in Instant Details would be found in the "Instant Details" tab under Preferences, but to my surprise, they are not.  I think many things have changed in Preferences (mostly for the better) since I first set up my Instant Details under Accordance v. 12 (over a year ago).

Now, it seems that the versions appearing for me in Instant Details are controlled by all these other tabs in the Preferences:

- Web and Text Browser settings

- Settings for each new Parallel tab

- Default display for ALL User Notes

- Amplify settings

What I mean to say is that when I went to each of those tabs above, I found the primary versions that I use in Instant Details selected in there.  Again, why the option doesn't exist under "Instant Details" in Preferences, I have no idea.  That would seem most logical to me.

If not can I request a new preference which allows you to set either NT or Hebrew is priority?  Also is it possible as you can do with combined resources to have a combined text for Hebrew Bible (trying not to say OT) and NT?

I switched over from BibleWorks just over a year ago, and one of the things I loved in BibleWorks was the way their "Instant Details" popup window worked.  It had two basic settings.  1) the simple setting just gave you one single version of your choice, which popped up any time you moused over a verse.  2) a multi-verse pop up which could show up to about 8 versions of your choice, when you held down a certain key while mousing over verses.

I loved this feature because it provided a rapid way to quickly scan search results (say, a list of 50 verses), and get a real fast idea of how the Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek read, along with some English versions.  Then, if you saw a verse of interest, you might choose to click on it and open it in its own big window for deeper study.

On one hand, I find it less-than-ideal that Accordance doesn't offer this.  Basically, and bottom line for your question, Accordance only allows you to have one primary version, one alternate version (which is activated by holding the "Ctrl" key (in Windows) while you mouse over the verse.  For example, right now, my primary version in Instant Details is my own User Bible, and my secondary / alternate version is NRSVS (because it has several non-canonical books available that my User Bible doesn't).

Likewise, in Tool windows, you can select essentially only one (or maybe two) tools that you want to default to.  So bottom line, you are capped out at about two versions / options for either texts or tools.

Now for the good news.  Accordance's Text Browser is fantastic, and for the most part, it satisfies my research needs, most closely resembling my research flow from BibleWorks.  I still say that it would be nice for Accordance to allow more than one Bible version to display in Instant Details.  However, my ultimate recommendation to you, Leopold, at this point, would be to consider the beauty and power of the Text Browser.

While the Text Browser isn't as fluid and nimble as a multi-version pop-up window (like BibleWorks had) that can instantly appear and disappear, it actually isn't that far off.  It can be opened by simply clicking on a verse, and then closed quickly with an "x" button.  It also has a "recycle" button to allow you to keep it open, and cycle through new verses that you look up (although, Accordance could greatly improve the history function, as BibleWork's was, in my opinion, advanced in this area).

Here is a picture (attached) of mine, as I wanted to look up Amos 9:9 from a tool in the Research Tab.  A beautiful thing about the Text Browser is that you can select Custom Groups of texts from a simple dropdown menu (see where mine says "ORIG. LANG. BASIC." up at the top.)

You preset those Custom Groups in the Library, including which versions your want, and in what order, and then when you open the Text Browser, all those options are at the touch of your fingers, as you see at the top of my screenshot.  And actually, I personally work with very limited screen space on my laptop.  You might be able to get even better usage than I do.

So in conclusion, my answer to your big question is essentially that you might not want to put so much focus on the Instant Details, but rather, shift your focus to the power of the Text Browser.  I still do use Instant Details all the time, but when I'm ready to research a verse, I always go straight to the Text Browser.

So hypothetically, I'd love for Accordance to allow more than just one version to display (at a time) in the Instant Details, but I'm not pushing for that, because the Text Browser satisfies my needs pretty well there.

post-35231-0-34348500-1578638907_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 3

That's so helpful - I hadn't really thought of using the text browser like this - actually hadn't really looked too much at it - I will look at this properly over the weekend!

I switched over from BibleWorks just over a year ago, and one of the things I loved in BibleWorks was the way their "Instant Details" popup window worked.  It had two basic settings.  1) the simple setting just gave you one single version of your choice, which popped up any time you moused over a verse.  2) a multi-verse pop up which could show up to about 8 versions of your choice, when you held down a certain key while mousing over verses.

I loved this feature because it provided a rapid way to quickly scan search results (say, a list of 50 verses), and get a real fast idea of how the Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek read, along with some English versions.  Then, if you saw a verse of interest, you might choose to click on it and open it in its own big window for deeper study.

+100!

And BTW, TYA, thanks for this explanation of your workflow!

• Like 2

I played with this over the weekend and I am impressed and text browser is now mandatory component of my main workspaces (one advantage of iMac's 27" screen... thanks again for this type - have also followed Mark Allison's advice and colour coded the background of key texts so I have that instantaneous visual thing

Brilliant

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that you can almost always right-click on a verse, and then amplify to a Text Browser very quickly (see attached).  That is good for cases where you don't already have the Text Browser open, and want to get to it quickly.

post-35231-0-10930200-1578850857_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am also frustrated with trying to figure out how to set the display texts for the Instant Details window.  For now it displays KJVS or GNT28-T if I hold down the control key and the reference is NT.  I would love to get it to display an alternate Hebrew text automatically for an OT reference!

The Text Browser solution looks promising, but I am unable to amplify to it from a reference in a Tool such as a commentary.  The Look Up menu simply does not give me the Text Browser option.  When I try to amplify it using "Custom Group", then I get the message: "A verse reference selection cannot be used from any tool." 

Am I doing something wrong?

I would love to get it to display an alternate Hebrew text automatically for an OT reference!

Agreed!

I am also frustrated with trying to figure out how to set the display texts for the Instant Details window.  For now it displays KJVS or GNT28-T if I hold down the control key and the reference is NT.  I would love to get it to display an alternate Hebrew text automatically for an OT reference!

The Text Browser solution looks promising, but I am unable to amplify to it from a reference in a Tool such as a commentary.  The Look Up menu simply does not give me the Text Browser option.  When I try to amplify it using "Custom Group", then I get the message: "A verse reference selection cannot be used from any tool." 

Am I doing something wrong?

In the settings, if you go to Amplifiy, under "Other", you should have, right at the bottom, a choice between "text tab" and "Text browser tab". I the second is checked, you should get a new browser tab that opens up with the different versions you want, including when you click on a hyperlinked text in a commentary or other resource.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, Donald Cobb said:

Agreed!

In the settings, if you go to Amplifiy, under "Other", you should have, right at the bottom, a choice between "text tab" and "Text browser tab". I the second is checked, you should get a new browser tab that opens up with the different versions you want, including when you click on a hyperlinked text in a commentary or other resource.

Thanks!  That seemed to work for the Text browser.  Sorry, I didn't reply earlier.  I don't use the forums very much and must have misunderstood how to follow this topic.

I'm still trying to solve the mystery of the Instant Details Bible text sources.  In my "New Testament Studies" workspace I get KJVs and GNT28-T (when I hold down control key) for a NT reference and only KJVs for OT (nothing changes when holding down control key).  On my other workspaces I always get KJVs and always ESVi when holding down the control key.  It almost seems as if Instant Details is taking its cue from somewhere else besides the preference settings.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think I figured out where instant details is getting its source Bible texts.

1. For verse references in a Tool (e.g., commentary), the texts come from Preferences / Tool Display / Hypertext.  The alternate text will display by holding the control key.
  2. For verse references in a Text, go to Preferences / Amplify / Triple Click Results.  These sources will be displayed when holding the control key, since holding control will always show the triple click results.

What I would like to see, is a way to have the alternate display text for references in a tool to be Hebrew for OT references and Greek for NT references.  Then I can see the original language at a glance.  You can actually do this in a Text Tab using a Combined Resource.  I am using the combined resource HMT+GNT28.  That tab will always give me the original language no matter if I am in the OT or NT.  There needs to be a "Combined Text" option for Hypertext in the Tool Display options.  Either that or add a "secondary alternate text" setting.

• Like 3