Catholic Lectionary doesn't work well as an iOS daily reading

jlm

During a recent sale, I bought the Catholic Study Bible, which interested me just for the Catholic Lectionary devotional resource. Since then, it has not worked well. There are two problems: the first is that it often shows the wrong readings, and the second and more serious is that on iOS there does not seem to be any way to get it to display anything other than the readings the app automatically selects.

Now, I don't expect perfection on the first point, but that's why there has to be some way to let the user find the correct reading. The calendar of the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church is moderately complex, and also has regional variations. For example, normally Epiphany is January 6, but in many countries including the USA it is transferred to the Sunday following January 1. So the app cannot calculate the right readings for everyone unless it has preferences sufficient to describe the local calendar. And if it cannot, then users should be able to get the correct readings.

I think the best way to let users select different readings would be to treat Daily Reading resources more like other tools. Treat the view for today like a search of the resource for today's date. Then there can be a Read button to show the whole tool, and it would be possible to search for other dates (useful for preparing homilies). It would also be useful to search the tool for Scripture references to see when they are used in the lectionary.

Lastly, I describe what hasn't been working in the module:

• I bought it during the octave of Christmas, in which all of the readings were off by one day. The second day of the octave is actually the day after Christmas, not two days after. I reported this to corrections@accordancebible.com.
  • On Sunday, January 5, it managed to be wrong for the whole world by showing the readings for January 5 instead of the Second Sunday after Christmas or Epiphany.
  • Today, Tuesday, January 7, it showed the readings for the Second Sunday after Christmas. I reported this too.

I've discovered how to get to the readings manually. I didn't realize the devotionals were also under tools as well as under Daily Readings. Opening it from tools, I can find other readings and search for where passages of Scripture are used. So the only problem is the errors, which are also an issue on macOS. So I'll report those I find to corrections@accordancebible.com.