Searching for Subjects of Verbs

justinjevans

Hello,

I would like to know how to search for all instances that has a particular subject with a given verb. For instance, how would I search for all places where יהוה occurs as the subject of the verb מלך?

I'm assuming this is something that can be done with either the Holmstedt module or ETCBC.

Thanks for your help!
Justin

For a quick search, set the depth =1 and do it like the first screenshot. 

post-29948-0-68331400-1575929548_thumb.png

For a more accurate search, set the depth = 1 and build the search to account for the actual hierarchy, like the second screenshot.

post-29948-0-78994600-1575929554_thumb.png

Be sure to click the "search both directions" box at the bottom of the construct search if you want both SV and VS hits. Further refine by choosing the type of verb, modifies for YHWH, etc. 

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

No problem. I tried a few ways and got it to work. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

It worked for me. What text are you using it against ? It must be HMT-W4.

Thx

D

Actually, it shouldn't work.  With depth set at 0, you would need to add the predicate label to the verb in the first column. Without specifying that, depth would have to be set at 1. 

I went back and rechecked and reran it. Here is a screenshot. I believe I have the same search that Mendel tried.

post-32023-0-43225400-1581225629_thumb.jpg

At least over Genesis seems to get the same hits with or without the PREDICATE element in the Predicate Phrase. It runs a while so I didn't check the whole HMT.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

It worked out. I don't know what the mistake was. BUT seaching יהוה and אלוהים leads to crash. As searching only for אלהים in the whole bible. Can you confirm? 

Edited by Mendel

I'm getting a crash in Windows too. I'll make sure it's reported.

• Like 1