I lose my place when I leave a search (2.0 Android beta)

jlm

I don't recall well how searching worked in 1.5, so I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request.  I'm reading a Bible, let's say at John 3:16, and I want to run a search. So I type the search into the box, tap enter, and get a list of verses. So far, so good. Now I want to see my chosen result in context. I scroll to it, and since I don't see a read button like iOS has, I tap the X to clear the search. I wind up at Genesis 1:1: this seems wrong. What I really want is to remain at the location of the verse at the top of the view, but if clearing the search is meant to eliminate any memory of it, I ought to wind up where I was before (John 3:16), not at the beginning of the Bible.

2.0.0b4 (11590)

Edited by jlm
  • Like 4

Thanks for pointing this out. I, too, would like to be able to run a search and then view one of the search hit verses in its context, but don't see a method to do this. 

There is a way.  In the search options you can set the amount of context to display. You cannot change that after the search as far as I know, though you can on the desktop app. Get the search box open on your text. Hit More. Hit Options - change Set Context To to the number of verses you want to show.

Thx

D

Helpful, but not quite right. I'd like to be able to scroll as far as desired within the text in question and not see so many verses for all the other hits. 

Ah so you want to turn on context around a single hit ? I don't think even the desktop app can do that.

Thx

D

Another Android Bible app I've used can do this and I use the feature regularly. Search. Find the verse in question. Pick up reading at that point. 

• Like 1

I know about the search context option, and I could use it as a workaround, but I'm really trying to do the same thing ScottDF is talking about. The read button in the iOS app (which looks like glasses) does what I want.

Thanks for pointing this out. Being sent back to Gen 1:1 when clearing a search is definitely not what you'd expect. I'm working on changing this now so that clearing a search will essentially function like the reading mode button in iOS (as was suggested in the original post) where the top position is maintained, i.e. doing a verse search for John 3:16 and clearing the search would have the same result as navigating to John 3:16 via the table of contents.

• Like 3

Thanks, Matt. I'm even happy if this ends up in v2.1 or beyond. The improvements in v2 are quite nice. 

• Like 1

The improvements in v2 are quite nice. 

Thanks, glad you like the changes!

I'm even happy if this ends up in v2.1 or beyond.

I don't think that should be necessary  :)

• Like 1