Thompson Chain module - poor image quality

Dataduffy

I have a question regarding the Thompson Chain module. 

On the Mac, iPad and iphone, maps and illustrations are very poor quality, with many being unreadable.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the modules but get the same issues.

Other modules, such as ESV Study Bible, Holman Bible dictionary and the NIV Cultural Background Study Bible have very crisp and clear illustrations. 

Am I missing something, or is this just down to very low resolution scans in the original file?

If it is the resolution, is there a plan to update with useable illustrations and maps?

Keep up the great work.

Thanks

John

Yes, I purchased the Thompson Chain module a while back and was so disappointed I asked for a refund. The Accordance team was very gracious.

I love Accordance and have recommended it to a number of other people. However, this one module falls far, far below the quality standard that marks the Accordance products. I imagine they can only publish the images that the publisher supplies to them, but in my opinion the quality is so poor on these that it reflects poorly on the Accordance brand and it would be better to not offer the module for sale at all (or at least give a disclaimer that the graphics are useless). I would love to see the module updated with better quality graphics.

We've just contacted the publisher to see if they could provide us with higher-quality images.

• Like 10

We've just contacted the publisher to see if they could provide us with higher-quality images.

Thanks for this Mark.

There also appear to be issues with some of the links within the module. Low topic numbers end up pointing to chapters rather than the topics.

Eg,.when having the module open running in parallel with a text.... Gen 1:11 has the topic number "76  Increase", and when clicking on the link "76", it takes you to Psalm 76, not the topic. If I open the module unlinked and search for the topic "increase" I can find it.

Same thing for the adjacent topic number 96, it takes you to Psalm 96 not the topic. 

This seems to be limited to low numbers; higher numbers work as expected, and take you directly to the topic

Anyway, I really hope that the publisher provides better images, and this module can be brought up to the same excellent standard as everything else that I have purchased.

Thanks again for the quick response.

John

Edited by dataduffy

That's good to hear, and of course it's the amiable and competent Mark Allison who always comes up with the goods.

• Like 1

That's good to hear, and of course it's the amiable and competent Mark Allison who always comes up with the goods.

I use the Thompson Chain Reference quite a bit.    Before I had Bible software I used it like a lot.   I have never paid attention to the images so that part hasn't been an issue with me.   I like how it works in Accordance.

I use the Thompson Chain Reference quite a bit.    Before I had Bible software I used it like a lot.   I have never paid attention to the images so that part hasn't been an issue with me.   I like how it works in Accordance.

I went to check it out on the Accordance Store, and while it does say "photos and maps" in the description, the screenshot of the module is all text.

I went to check it out on the Accordance Store, and while it does say "photos and maps" in the description, the screenshot of the module is all text.

There are a series of B&W illustrations, and the quality of those is actually pretty good (considering the age of the material). There's a "Photo Library" as well, and while the images are pretty low-rez, they're probably as good as they're going to get. What's really bad is the "Biblical Atlas." It's really impossible to read any of the text on the maps in that section. We'll fix those, even if I have to blow the dust off my old Thompson Chain (the first "study bible" I ever owned) and scan the images myself.

• Like 5

But if you update the photos with a better resolution you have to pixel the faces  :rolleyes:

post-32723-0-19767300-1571397010_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Another question.

In German we have 2 Thompson Chain reference Bibles. Both has an image with the good and the bad kings. Is this added from the German publishers? I haven't found this in the Accordance module. Also some other images, about the two roots from Jesus prophecies in the OT. The glory one with the scriptures and the suffer scriptures. Are they not in the English Version?

I guess this is an image from one. (I have the other, not exctlay the same image. The kings are not black an white but has a different hight in their life. Exactly it represents their spiriual life through their life).

post-32723-0-86895000-1571397435_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

My Thompson Bible is back from the holidays. And here are the photos of the Thompson Bible from the Hänssler Verlag (publisher).

post-32723-0-21277200-1571553024_thumb.jpg

post-32723-0-36287700-1571553154_thumb.jpg

The other publisher is https://buonanovella.com/home.htmlThe new Bible is also requested by Mr.von Känel here in the Forum.

I know the CEO and his Wife personally. The old Bible from 2009 was found in BW. 

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on an improvement on this module? 

Thanks.

I haven't back from the publisher. Trying to contact them again today.

• Like 2

I'm in contact with the Publisher. Shouldn't be long now :-)

• Like 2

I'm in contact with the Publisher. Shouldn't be long now :-)

Fantastic Mark. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded the update.  The maps look amazing.  Thanks Mark. 

... and a Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Just downloaded the update.  The maps look amazing.  Thanks Mark. 

... and a Happy New Year!

So, are you saying all the maps and charts have been updated to high resolution?

I returned this module for a refund because of the poor quality images, but will re-buy it if they are now usable!

• Like 2

So, are you saying all the maps and charts have been updated to high resolution?

I returned this module for a refund because of the poor quality images, but will re-buy it if they are now usable!

I thought Accordance didn’t let you return anything, except for the starter package.

OSchrock, I think Mark explained that some of old B&W images would be difficult to upgrade since the originals were pretty low res.  However, all the maps have been done to the best hi-res.  Quality is excellent.

I'm trying to upload a screenshot for you, but it's not letting me upload attachments at the moment.

• Like 1

OSSchrock

here is the old map verses the new map...

These are only screen shots and don't justice.  I hope this helps

post-5536-0-91859300-1577911042_thumb.png

post-5536-0-26521700-1577911346_thumb.jpeg

OSSchrock

here is the old map verses the new map...

These are only screen shots and don't justice.  I hope this helps

Thank you for posting these! That is a huge improvement!

• Like 1

Hi Mark.

Just heading out the door to go to work, but saw Paul's post and downloaded the update. 

Maps look fantastic.

My issue with some of the links not working as expected seems to have also been fixed. :)

I'll have a better look at it later.

I'm counting this as an unexpected Christmas present :) , thanks for responding on this.

Happy New Year to all, from Shanghai.

John

Edited by dataduffy
  • Like 3