Greek: finding adverbial participles based on tense

vparunak

In Heb 6:6, ἀνασταυροῦντας and παραδειγματίζοντας are adverbial, either to the immediately preceding ἀνακαινίζειν (thus both Koivisto's diagrams, Fabbri's syntactical analysis, and Leedy's BW diagrams) or to the more remote παραπεσόντας (thus most commentators). I suspect that the present tense of the adverbial participles makes them more compatible with the present ἀνακαινίζειν than with the aorist παραπεσόντας, and am trying to construct a syntax search that will show me all cases where an infinitive of a specified tense is modified by a participle of a specified tense. Then I can collect stats on the four possible combinations {aorist vs. present infinitive} x {aorist vs. present participles} and look for patterns. But nothing I construct finds my base example, Heb 6:6. I think I haven't grasped Accordance's grammatical terminology. 

Here's one attempt that produces only Lk 20:46:

post-35584-0-66202600-1567340189_thumb.png

This one was more fruitful, but still didn't find Heb 6:6:

post-35584-0-98710500-1567340434_thumb.png

What am I doing wrong? 

Hi vparunak,

Here is a construct that finds Heb 6:6 using something like your second attempt :

post-32023-0-39927800-1567356488_thumb.jpg

The basic difference is in the type of complement I think. I used a complement phrase, you used a complement dependent clause. If you look at the chart for Heb 6:6 it is modelled is a C not an Lc. And Lc is a complement clause whereas a C is a phrase. Then I added an adjunct phrase and then the rest is basically the same. Adding the adjunct though got me one extra depth and then I was able to get to the participle. Has I just used a C where you used the Lc I depth 2 would not have been enough. Depth 3 would have been required.

Running my query as above against the whole NT only finds one other hit - 1 Thess 1:9. Removing the adjunct phrase and setting the complement depth to 3 gets 30 hits.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Thanks! That makes sense, and is definitely an improvement. But your solution wires in a fixed depth for the participle in the complement phrase. Is there a way to say I want participles at any depth to be included?

I just altered my post removing the adjunct and increasing the depth. That's probably the first thing to try in loosening up my rather too rigid a match to Heb 6:6.

thx

D

I figured it out--need to adjust the depth parameter. Thanks again! This is a huge help.

• Like 1