"The Messiah" (Charlesworth)

TYA

This book, "The Messiah," looks interesting, by Charlesworth.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Also good.

You guys have caused Reading-list-out-of-space error ! Again !

:)

More recent treatment

It doesn't seem much more recent, and I have no idea who the author is.  But I don't know many Christian authors anyway.

At any rate, I was interested in "The Messiah" (though the title obviously needs a subtitle - who names their book "The Messiah" with no subtitle in the vast world of scholarship?) partially because of the mention of Charlesworth, and also the table of contents.

Edited by TYA

1992 vs 2013, I would say much more recent in this field. Also the Charlesworth volume does have a Subtitle: Developments in Earliest Judaism and Christianity. It is based off a series of papers presented at a symposium and is not the work of Charlesworth, but a collection of essays he edited.

Ah, my mistakes.  Thank you for both corrections.

Okay, replace my request with Matt's update: "

The Concept of the Messiah in the Scriptures of Judaism and Christianity (The Library of Second Temple Studies)

"

Edited by TYA

Both works would be helpful. The series "Library of Second Temple Studies" can also be of a lot of help to those studying any of these research topics

Okay, you keep citing items that aren't yet available in Accordance.  Why not make the request for them?

Mainly because the dearth of resources that would be helpful are also expensive and hard to produce. And working with some of the bigger publishers is almost impossible. I have these resources through other means as well as a theological library two minutes from my house. Many of these works have already been requested in some form. I mainly wish that Accordance would keep producing what they do best, tagged, original texts. Instead of mirroring "the other guys" and turning into a digital library, they need to spend their efforts capitalizing on their research tools and creating more texts to facilitate research. That is their competitive edge in my opinion. I use the "other guys" for my library building, mainly due to their tight relationships with the big publishers in my field, Brill mainly, and I use Accordance for the majority of my technical textual work. Accordance has a way better format and way better parallels, and if they spent more time producing things like Ethiopic texts, Greek Second Temple literature and ANE texts that are searchable and tagged, this would be an extremely valuable platform, more than it already is!

These are all my options though and I know the market dictates a lot of this.

• Like 3

as a theological library two minutes from my house

Knowing you, I have significant doubts that this is a mere coincidence :)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Mainly because the dearth of resources that would be helpful are also expensive and hard to produce. And working with some of the bigger publishers is almost impossible. I have these resources through other means as well as a theological library two minutes from my house. Many of these works have already been requested in some form. I mainly wish that Accordance would keep producing what they do best, tagged, original texts. Instead of mirroring "the other guys" and turning into a digital library, they need to spend their efforts capitalizing on their research tools and creating more texts to facilitate research. That is their competitive edge in my opinion. I use the "other guys" for my library building, mainly due to their tight relationships with the big publishers in my field, Brill mainly, and I use Accordance for the majority of my technical textual work. Accordance has a way better format and way better parallels, and if they spent more time producing things like Ethiopic texts, Greek Second Temple literature and ANE texts that are searchable and tagged, this would be an extremely valuable platform, more than it already is!

These are all my options though and I know the market dictates a lot of this.

Mmmh: 

Why: And working with some of the bigger publishers is almost impossible. Other Platforms can do it. So Accordance should try it. Yes I know also a German publisher want to work with the other platform, but this is more because Accordance has slept at the time as it was ahead of the other platform. L had set the left blinker and has Accordance left behind.

I have several Bible Software products and I hate it to not have all in one. I want same or more German resources as L has. And a lot of features that L and BW has, which are missing in Accordance. 

Not really: Accordance has a way better format and way better parallels,  In L you can have Hebrew, Latin and Greek interlinear which seems to be years ahead from what Accordance can deliver.

Here I agree: and if they spent more time producing things like Ethiopic texts, Greek Second Temple literature and ANE texts that are searchable and tagged, this would be an extremely valuable platform, more than it already is!

Greetings

Fabian

Mmmh: 

Why: And working with some of the bigger publishers is almost impossible. Other Platforms can do it. So Accordance should try it. Yes I know also a German publisher want to work with the other platform, but this is more because Accordance has slept at the time as it was ahead of the other platform. L had set the left blinker and has Accordance left behind.

I have several Bible Software products and I hate it to not have all in one. I want same or more German resources as L has. And a lot of features that L and BW has, which are missing in Accordance. 

Not really: Accordance has a way better format and way better parallels,  In L you can have Hebrew, Latin and Greek interlinear which seems to be years ahead from what Accordance can deliver.

Here I agree: and if they spent more time producing things like Ethiopic texts, Greek Second Temple literature and ANE texts that are searchable and tagged, this would be an extremely valuable platform, more than it already is!

Greetings

Fabian

That is fair but again, all my opinion. I have found the search functions, instant details, and such much better in Accordance. "L" is really only good to build a digital library. As far as working with big publishers, it is near impossible due to the amount of money it costs to exchange data. That is just simple business. That is why I say Accordance needs to do what it does well, provide texts

• Like 1