Highlights and Syncing

Cnthetford

I was happy to see that highlighting and syncing with dropbox is supported in the Android version.  I have a few questions though.

1. I enabled the dropbox sync and connected to my account.  Then I went to some passages where I had added highlights from the pc version and they are not there.  How do I see existing highlights?

2. When I select highlight from the Android app, I see some generic highlight styles but not the ones I've defined.  How do I switch to those?

3. I highlighted some text and did the dropbox sync.  Then I go to the PC and do a sync, but my highlight didn't show up.   How do I make that work?

Thanks for the continued work on the Android version.  Once the highlights are working between PC/Mobile and my different notes sets are available, it will be a very useful tool on my tablet.

I am on Version 1.4.3 (11074)

It sounds like you may need to change your current highlight file. All highlights are saved in a highlight file, and only a single file's highlights are shown at a time. So it's possible you may be using one highlight file on Android and a different one on PC.

To change your current highlight file on Android, open app settings and tap the drop-down box next to the label "Highlight file". Then select the file you want to use. The default on Android is "My Mobile Highlights.hlt". Once you change your current file, your highlights from the new file will immediately be shown in the text.

To see which highlight file you are using on your PC, click the Highlight icon in the toolbar and look at the top left of the dialog. There you will see a drop-down menu listing all of your highlight files, and the currently selected file will be indicated.

Edited by Matt Robertson

That got it.. thanks.  I didn't think to check for new settings after the new features were added.   Android defaulted to a "Mobile Highlights" file and I needed to switch it.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it!

• 1 year later...

I just acquired a Samsung A50. I have installed Accordance Android on it (along with many other apps) but I cannot change the highlight file in "settings". It defaults to "my mobile highlights". The file I want DOES show but even though I change to the file I want it reverts back to the default highlight file. Any ideas?

The only time I have come across this issue is when the highlight file you are changing to is a newer version than the Android app can handle. If your highlight file has ever had pen highlights in it then this is certainly the case. This is a bug in that the Android app should show you an error explaining this, but it does not and simply reverts to the last usable file it had.

All that to say... The latest version of the Android app (version 2.1) is in early stages of testing now and should be available soon, and it includes the ability to open and read these highlights files, and (spoiler alert!) to display pen highlights.

If you'd like, you could post the .hlt file itself here in your reply or send it do me in a direct message, and I can take a look and confirm that this is the issue (that it is a newer version than the Android app can handle) and not something new.

Okay Matt. Seems like I have run into this before but most likely with IOS.

Bob

Thanks, confirmed that the versioning is the issue. This should be working for you as soon as the new version releases! If you still have any issues please do report them again.

Thank you Matt, as a beta tester I look forward to testing the new version

Bob

Bob, the beta is being submitted this weekend, so keep an eye out for it! And please let me know whether the highlights issue you're seeing is resolved in the latest version. Thanks!

• Like 1

Alrighty then! Good news! I will be on the lookout AND I will test it out and see how the highlights and notes transfer over. Thanks Matt.

Bob

Okay, just updated and I now have highlights! Thanks!

Bob

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Matt, I have had some chronic issues with Dropbox over the years. I am in the process of switching to wifi for syncing, I have found that Accordance for Android DOES NOT sync wifi (that is, if I am correct). Is this in the pipeline?

Bob

• 1 year later...

My highlights don't seem to be syncing through Dropbox.  I use a home Windows PC, and a laptop Windows PC.  When I highlight on the Home Windows PC, they do not show up on the laptop.  BOth devices are identical in the preferences with all options checked on syncing, fully automatic, etc.  Both devices only have one highlight file "My Highlights", but the contents of the various highlight options are different, and when I pull up any text t(hat I first highlighted on the Home PC) on the Laptop PC, it shows nothing. Suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

My initial post was over a month ago! Is wifi syncing with Android on the horizon?

Bob

37 minutes ago, rcdeacon said:

My initial post was over a month ago! Is wifi syncing with Android on the horizon?

Bob

I guess when Accordance has  its own sync process they will add this feature to Android. NOT sooner.

But yes a WiFi syncing should be available anyway. With or without the forthcoming Accordance sync.