SALE! Go on a GREAT JOURNEY with Accordance!

R. Mansfield

Go on a GREAT JOURNEY with Accordance down theological and linguistic paths and side trails for all! Save up to 80% off regular prices with essential resources for your Accordance Library!

I'm interested in SIL.

Is it (fairly) unbiased?

Questions that occur to exegetes as they study the text are stated and then answered by summarizing the ways many scholars have interpreted the text. This information should help translators or students in making their own exegetical decisions.

Are the quoted scholars from all denominations or are the quotes/views  cherry picked to align  with a Catholic/Baptist/whatever view?

PS if someone want to get rid of his/her SIL at a fair price.... :-)

I to would like to know anyone’s opinion towards what persuasion does this commentary lean towards I myself am reformed. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this thx.

If you would like to see how the SIL series handles a particular verse, let me know, and I’ll post an excerpt.

If you would like to see how the SIL series handles a particular verse, let me know, and I’ll post an excerpt.

Mat 25:46

Mat 25:46

Note that SIL has more hyperlinks to other Accordance modules than just about any other title I know of. BAGD hyperlinks automatically translate to BDAG. 

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-29%20at%2011.31.

Thanks for the answer. It's biased* so I'll pass.

*= Dare I say the understanding of Greek is flawed?

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer. It's biased* so I'll pass.

*= Dare I say the understanding of Greek is flawed?

Almost any title or reference work you can think of comes from a particular perspective that includes a specific set of assumptions. It’s practically inescapable. It’s even true of Bible translations—all of them. 

I don’t just “work” for Accordance; I’m an Accordance user first and have been for over two decades. I’ve always had regularly-used resources I might consult and of which I might disagree with the assumptions and/or conclusions of their writers and editors. But since I’m aware of such things going in, I can still make use of these resources. 

I like the Exegetical Summary Series for that middle word—I really like the summary it offers, and I can click on the hyperlinks in the Accordance version of it to take me to the actual resource to which its summarizing if I want to read more. It doesn’t mean I align with everything the editors believe, but I find the ESS can often save a lot of work looking at other commentaries one at a time.

Almost any title or reference work you can think of comes from a particular perspective that includes a specific set of assumptions.

100% agreed.

If a work claims to be a Catholic view, then I expect only a Catholic view. Perhaps a few minor interpretation differences but Catholic.

SIL caught my attention because it claims to have collected various translations and presents the differences in a handy format.

I'm not here to start a doctrinal fight but want to show SIL 'overlooked' several translations with a more than marginally different view.

I'll quote  a few:

YLT: And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.

CLV: Matt 25:46 And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian."

EBR: Matt 25:46 And, these, shall go away, into, age–abiding, correction, but, the righteous, into, age–abiding, life.
Diaglot: Matt 25:46 And shall go away these into a cuttingoff agelasting; the and just ones into life agelasting.

I do understand what WW was saying and while I realize every scholar and reader approaches the text with bias, some do feel more so than others. This was included in a package I have and for me it is a set that gets little use. The Irenic approach is something I more favour and while i think it happens occasionally in this work more often than not it feels one sided and that ends up find and great if it is your side but I would rather get a broader exposure to help determine my own position more clearly or changed it to the position of the author. That said I do know we are all quite different and am happy for the many users who will benefit from it.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis

Thanks for providing Keil & Delitzsch at 80% off.  I'm slowly building up resources in Accordance that I already have in other Bible software's, and I have Keil & Delitzsch completely free in another source.  I ran across the price a couple weeks ago, and thought "$100!?"  Thus, I'm very grateful to have found this on sale for 80% the other day.

(And the recent sale which had the "Classic Group II" had some of the other commentators that I have for free in another software.  Having that on sale here 75% was another huge blessing.

Thanks Accordance!

• Like 1

Today is your LAST CHANCE to travel down the Accordance THEOLOGY & LINGUISTIC TRAILS and save up to 80% off select new titles. Sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!