HALOT is very broken in 1.4b3

miketisdell

I set my default Hebrew lexicon to HALOT and found that all lookups crashed the Accordance app.

I tried loading HALOT directly from the library and I found that all searches also crashed he app.

I even tried scrolling down to the entry but scrolling through HALOT also crashed the app. 

• Like 1

I was waiting for someone to post this.

Confirmed for Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged and HALOT. I've since deleted Accordance on Android. 

• Like 1

Reproduced for HALOT and working on the fix.

I am not able to reproduce for BHS-Tagged, though, Michel. What search is causing the crash for you? (Also, is this on 1.4.0b3? There were some fixes after 1.4.0b2 that may already have addressed this bug if you are still using 1.4.0b2).

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

It was every lookup. I was using the Accordance and Android versions that I mentioned in https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26026-incorrect-characters-in-bhs-tagged/?p=128346, that is, 1.4.0b2 (10971) and 6.0.1.

I don't plan on reinstalling Accordance on my phone any time soon, so this is all the help I can give on this issue. 

Regards,

Michel

Edit: I was using Mike's term "lookup," as in, long press a word in BHS Tagged, press Info (if I recall) to get the HALOT entry; I wasn't referring to a search.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Matt,

I was wrong. I experienced the non-Hebrew characters issue in 1.4.0b2 (10971), and the update fixed it, at which point I ran into the lookup and crash problem.

Sorry. Trying to do too many things at once.

Michel

I am not able to reproduce for BHS-Tagged, though, Michel. What search is causing the crash for you? (Also, is this on 1.4.0b3? There were some fixes after 1.4.0b2 that may already have addressed this bug if you are still using 1.4.0b2).

I just reset my settings to use HALOT and tried again. The first two times it work. I then chose HALOT from the library i.e. open to the title page and then scrolled downwards; it crashed just has it had done before. I then selected another word (להבדיל Ge. 1:18) and tried to do amplify->lexeme and it crashed. I then tried a word I had tried earlier (ארץ Ge. 1:1) and it worked. As I have tried samples, it seems to crash as often as it works. Words that begin with א seem to work, others are likely not to work.

בראשית - crash

ברא - crash

אלהים - works

את works

השמים - crash

ואת - works

הארץ - works

When I checked the prefixes for this verse:

ב - crash

ה - crash

ו - works (however, even though the prefix is shown correctly on the 1st popup, the lexicon entry provided is for את)

ה - works (however, even though the prefix is shown correctly on the 1st popup, the lexicon entry provided is for ארץ)

Note: the text I am using is the "Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) Tagged" and my version is 1.4.0b3 (11010)

Edited by miketisdell

I just reset my settings to use HALOT and tried again. The first two times it work. I then chose HALOT from the library i.e. open to the title page and then scrolled downwards; it crashed just has it had done before. I then selected another word (להבדיל Ge. 1:18) and tried to do amplify->lexeme and it crashed. I then tried a word I had tried earlier (ארץ Ge. 1:1) and it worked. As I have tried samples, it seems to crash as often as it works. Words that begin with א seem to work, others are likely not to work.

בראשית - crash

ברא - crash

אלהים - works

את works

השמים - crash

ואת - works

הארץ - works

When I checked the prefixes for this verse:

ב - crash

ה - crash

ו - works (however, even though the prefix is shown correctly on the 1st popup, the lexicon entry provided is for את)

ה - works (however, even though the prefix is shown correctly on the 1st popup, the lexicon entry provided is for ארץ)

Note: the text I am using is the "Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) Tagged" and my version is 1.4.0b3 (11010)

I duplicated the same test on my Galaxy Tab S2 for Ge. 1:1 and I received the same results with the exception that אלהים also crashed the app; however when I retested אלהים on my Chromebook it also crashed.

Choosing HALOT from the library and scrolling through the pages also crashes the app on the Galaxy Tab S2

Just checking back to see if you were able to verify this issue. As noted above, I was able to verify this on my Chrome book, Galaxy Tab S2, and I have now checked on my Galaxy S7 edge (phone), all of these devices exhibit the same problem.

Thanks Mike. Yes I was able to verify this, and I believe I have fixed the bug causing it. I'm running a lot of searches in HALOT and other modules to verify that it was only the one bug causing these issues and not multiple bugs.

• Like 2

I just downloaded the update and HALOT is better, but not entirely fixed.

If I do a lookup from the Hebrew tagged text, everything works.

If I do a lookup from the from the HALOT module, everything works.

HOWEVER, if I select the module and attempt to scroll down, the system automatically scrolls upward and I can not go down beyond a page or two. If I select something from the contents that is farther down, the screen continually scrolls backwards slowly until it gets to the beginning.

Is this only the case in HALOT? And does it do this every time? I have not seen this before and am not able to reproduce it in HALOT.

• Like 1

I decided to try this again, so I reinstalled Accordance on my phone, Easy Installed BHS Tagged and HALOT (only), and set Instant Details Hebrew to HALOT. I have the same problem as above - long press on a word > Amplify > Lexeme leads to Accordance crashing every time, taking up to 2 seconds to do so. I made a screen recording but I can't post it due to its file size. By crashing, I mean the App disappears and I have to reopen it, that is, for every word attempt it crashes, I open it again, try another word, and it crashes again.

Regarding HALOT, I don't have the problem Mike has, but, if I open HALOT on its own and scroll down for a few seconds, Acc crashes (every time). It takes about 4-5 seconds scrolling from the very top to crash. If I use the TOC to select a Hebrew word, sometimes it crashes instantly, other times it does go to the word and if I scroll down from there, it takes about 2 seconds to crash (every time).

This is on Android 6.0.1. All of my other Apps work (and I have a lot of them); there is nothing wrong with my phone.

Thanks for the report Michel. I'm sure it's not an issue with your phone, I just need to figure out where the problem is in the app  :) As a starting point, which version of the Accordance Android app is this in? (You can select the three-dot icon in the top corner and then "About" to see your installed version.)

1.4.0b3 (11010)

• Like 1

I got an update today (11025 - doesn't have a beta marker - I assumed it was the 1.4.0 prod release, though Mike's note on it says it's open beta) and I'm not having this issue with HALOT amplifying from BHS. I can amplify and return to the text multiple times without incident. I don't see the scrolling issue either.

Note III: Android 5.0

Thx

D

1.4.0b3 (11010)

Good news then: I fixed the bug that was causing these issues in HALOT, and a new version either is currently available or should be available very soon on the Google Play Store. If you have registered as a Beta tester for the Accordance app in the Google Play Store, it may already be available (it is for me at least). If not, it should be available within the next few hours as Google finishes rolling out the app.

If you have not signed up as a Beta tester, you can do so by going to the Accordance app page in the Play Store, scrolling to the bottom (I believe) and selecting the option to become a beta tester. If you do not want to be a beta tester, the full version of 1.4.0 should be available within a day or so (mostly depending on how long it takes Google to verify and release the app) and will of course include the bug fix as well.

Edited by Matt Robertson
  • Like 1

Matt,

In Canada this is still showing:

post-32543-0-67566500-1557435538_thumb.png

I'll check later for the update.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I decided to try this again, so I reinstalled Accordance on my phone, Easy Installed BHS Tagged and HALOT (only), and set Instant Details Hebrew to HALOT. I have the same problem as above - long press on a word > Amplify > Lexeme leads to Accordance crashing every time, taking up to 2 seconds to do so. I made a screen recording but I can't post it due to its file size. By crashing, I mean the App disappears and I have to reopen it, that is, for every word attempt it crashes, I open it again, try another word, and it crashes again.

Regarding HALOT, I don't have the problem Mike has, but, if I open HALOT on its own and scroll down for a few seconds, Acc crashes (every time). It takes about 4-5 seconds scrolling from the very top to crash. If I use the TOC to select a Hebrew word, sometimes it crashes instantly, other times it does go to the word and if I scroll down from there, it takes about 2 seconds to crash (every time).

This is on Android 6.0.1. All of my other Apps work (and I have a lot of them); there is nothing wrong with my phone.

This was the problem I was having before the upgrade.

Is this only the case in HALOT? And does it do this every time? I have not seen this before and am not able to reproduce it in HALOT.

It happened every time until I fully shutdown and restart. It is now working without a problem. Even thought I had close and re-opened the app, I am guessing that something from the prior version was still causing a problem.

Matt,

In Canada this is still showing:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2019-05-09-15-53-05.png

I'll check later for the update.

Thanks.

FYI - when I went to the playstore and checked for updates, it did not show the update as available, but when I went under the beta tab it was there to update.

• Like 1

Everything works for me now in 1.4.0 (11025). Thanks.

• Like 2