Character Palette Problems

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

In the past, I've been able to use the Character Palette to insert Greek, Hebrew, or transliteration (Rosetta) characters and words into my User Tools, and they have been correctly inserted, including the correct font.

Today, however, I tried to insert a transliterated word using the character palette set to Rosetta, and what was inserted into my User Tool was in Helvetica--and thus the wrong symbols. I was able to change the font of the word to Rosetta manually (by control-clicking it and selecting the correct font). Once I did, the characters inserted correctly.

Similarly, setting the Character Palette to Helen doesn't insert Greek most of the time. (Sometimes it does; I can't figure out the pattern there).

Yehudit seems to work fine, as long as the last entered character/font isn't Peshitta. Similarly Peshitta works fine as long as Yehudit wasn't the last entered character/font. Using Rosetta after Peshitta or Yehudit will usually work, although sometimes it begins as Helena until you hit a character that forces it to switch.

So there appears to be something about the LTR/RTL involved in here.

I'm also wondering if it is related to the font paste problems I discussed in this thread

Lorinda

We will look at this, but I think that the palette does not determine the font. This is of course determined automatically when entering into a search field, but in an edit window you must set the font first.

Thanks, Helen.

In terms of inserting the font, I was going both from memory and from statement by David Lang in the comments of his blog post on the Character Palett.:

As far as quickly switching between original language fonts, you could always use the Character Palette as a quick font switcher. Since clicking a character inserts it at the insertion point--font and all--you can always click to add the first character in a font, then just type the rest.
(emphasis mine)

Lorinda

Archived