Closing and reopening Accordance on an iMac

Tom Major

So we recently got an Apple iMac, so I am new to the Mac operating system. I have noticed that when I close Accordance and reopen it, using the red X in the corner of the window, that it does not open back up to where I was before.

However, if I Quit Accordance using Command + Q, or the Accordance Menu > Quit, then reopen it, it will go back to where I was before.

Can you help me understand why it behaves this way?

An a Mac, you're not closing Accordance when you click the red x, you're only closing the workspace. You'll notice that when you do that, Accordance is still open in the Finder (See the image below). Using Command + Q actually quits Accordance.

Note that this isn't just a strange Accordance behavior; this is how all applications work on the Mac, and is one of the things that many Windows users have a hard time adjusting to.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-25%20at%207.02.0

Edited by Mark Allison

That makes sense, thanks. I wonder if it would be possible then to make it so when you close the last workspace, then Accordance will remember what was in the last workspace? This way even if you don't quit Accordance, it still remembers what you had open?

As you've probably already found out, you can set your startup preferences to "Last Session" and Accordance will always open exactly the way you left it when you quit. (BTW, a "session" is a collection of one or more workspaces). However, closing a workspace with the red X is not really quitting—it's telling Accordance that you really don't care about that workspace and don't need it any more.

One option that might help is that you can save a workspace and open it later. To save a workspace, click on the "workspaces" button on your toolbar and select "Add Workspace". You'll be prompted to give it a name, and then it will be listed in the "workspaces" button drop-down list. 

To save the contents of a workspace that you've already created, simply select "Add Workspace" again when you've made changes.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-25%20at%207.10.5

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-25%20at%207.24.3

Edited by Mark Allison

That's helpful, I think for us stubborn Windows users, it might be nice to add "Last Workspace" to the startup options. :-)

You may also want to try turning on Preferences -> General -> Quit when closing last workspace.

It will cause Accordance to cleanly quit when closing that last workspace, so you'd retain your workspace next time the app is opened.