Forum Index

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

I find the Forums as useful as the Help files. But sometimes, even though I know that something was discussed, I have trouble finding it bc I don't remember the exact wording. So, a detailed Index of the Forums that itself could be searched, and that was regularly maintained and updated by Members, would be most useful. For example, Daniel might be interested in organizing and indexing his posts on searching the Greek. Others may want to index other topics. Such an Index could also be linked to the Help files.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 3

Hey Michel,

Are you thinking of a sort of Accordance-a-pedia where the posts are identified in the topics and indexed ? viz. a bunch of work.

Or just something like tagging a posts, like topics can be tagged, so that even if you cannot remember precisely what you want you could browse fairly well organized topics and find what you want ?

Alternatively, maybe a feature to search but what is entered and also by related terms might help. I don't know if such a feature exists. I haven't seen it in IPBoard but I haven't really looked.

For what it's worth, I played a little earlier today with trying to find posts I'd made mentioning the word "syntax". Turns out that the advanced search available from the little gear wheel next to the search box is pretty powerful. You can search a subset of the fora, search by member (make sure you use the display name - so I had to cut and paste my name דָנִיאֶל) and finally select whether you want the output to list the topics or the individual posts. I'd never really tried to use this search before but it is pretty powerful.

My common case is that I cannot search for comments by a particular forum member though I can clearly recall who said it. It turns out that that is easier than I thought.

EDIT: I note that the forum help says that as you type the user name into the author name search box you should get a pull down list to choose from. That doesn't happen in our case. It would be good if that could be fixed. In addition wildcards would be nice on the user name so you don't have to remember spellings, though of course the pull down should remove the need for that.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Hey Daniel,

I was thinking of an Accordance-a-pedia. I know it would be a lot of work, But, there must be a way to sort the data first before Members are allowed to Index it in a more meaningful way. The Forums often go way beyond the Help files in content, instruction, and examples. I find them very useful. For example, your contributions have been invaluable, and I thought you might be interested in Indexing them. And, you are a programmer, so I thought you might be interested in the challenge. Of course, it is just an idea.

Regards,

Michel

Many posts, not least among them, mine, have a good deal of digression and so on in them. :)

That said, it's an idea.

Not sure how I would approach.

I was actually thinking of preparing a video or two on how I use Acc for searching. That is even harder to index, of course, but I was noticing while watching some video game engine tutorial videos how much an experienced user of a tool just does by habit, and those tips are useful to see in context as it were.

By the way, I also published some Accordance crib sheets for searching on my blog site. They are only single word/character searches right now, in Greek and Hebrew and they repro. a bunch from the docs in essence, but with more worked examples. http://47rooks.com/language-software/accordance-bible-software/search-crib-sheets/. I don't know if it's this kind of material you might want to see extracted from other posts. I had planned to do others and then got distracted.

Also, my syntax search thing on the Accordance Exchange has an accompanying user tool which has a bunch of stuff in it about search and how I use it.

Thx

D

• Like 1