Finding discontinuous constituents

A. Smith

I'd like to find all instances where a constituent intervenes in another. From my analysis of the Syntax Module, it seems the best way to do this is to search for S inside of P, such as Ephesians 4.13 and Mt 4.24, or even something like Mat 8.8, where the S comes before the adverbial participle and the verb. Is there a way to do this search? I know I can search for specific words or categories (for example, a participle, a S NP, and a verb, as in the case of Mt 8.8). But is there a way to just look generally for all cases where the tagged S occurs inside the tagged P phrase?

Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure I am seeing what you are getting at in the examples. It would probably be good to draw one out as a full example. Also, in your comment about Mt 8:8 it did you mean "S comes after the adverbial participle" rather than before ?

That said, taking Eph 4:13 as an example, if you mean the case where οἱ πάντες appears between καταντήσωμεν and the subsequent adjuncts, that's a little tricky because the enclosing P phrase for this is two layers up. Something really simple like :

post-32023-0-94580000-1548907767_thumb.jpg

will find it but it's not because of this predicate but the one two levels up.

Something like this seems to do better :

post-32023-0-88100800-1548908079_thumb.jpg

But, if you are looking for constituents in the formal linguistic sense I am not 100% sure this is getting them.

Also, I am not sure that this is the only case it occurs, S in P. There is a lot of embedding of round the place.

Anyhow, let me know if any of this helps

You might also try something like :

post-32023-0-87186600-1548908882_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

I am looking for constituents in the formal sense. Specifically, I'm looking for words intervening within a constituent. In the case of Eph 4.134, for example,  καταντήσωμεν ... εἰς τὴν ἑνότητα τῆς πίστεως καὶ τῆς ἐπιγνώσεως τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ . . ., the series of participle phrases are all a part of the verbal complement, VP, Predicate Phrase, however you want to look at it. And οἱ πάντες comes in between that. You can see it nicely in the chart. You'll have a green P clause, with a red S stuck in the middle. 

A while back I asked about the theoretical basis of the syntax module. There was a discussion ( I think you were in on it) about the presence of a VP in koine greek. Well, this sort of thing can be considered evidence that there is NOT a VP in koine (if the subject is part of the VP, then the VP is really the whole clause and there is no practical purpose to postulating a VP at all). There are many more things to consider (movement, etc), but I'd like to begin assessing these instances. 

Anyway, the second to last search you provided is getting me there. I couldn't figure out how to get the clause and the other components in the same search. But I got it figured out now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Cool. I will be interested in the outcome of your research.

Thx

D

Cool. I will be interested in the outcome of your research.

Thx

D

Don't get too excited. I have almost no idea what I'm doing, lol. 

• Like 1