Traduction Œcuménique de la Bible

proftroy

I appreciate that Accordance now has two French Bibles (I think they had only one when I purchased Accordance last year) and even 1 Haitian Creole Bible. In my Bible translation work in francophone countries, I've found great value in Traduction Œcuménique de la Bible (TOB). Is there any possibility of getting the rights to add that to Accordance? I miss having access to so many French Bibles in BibleWorks, but I've found ways to get many of them back, but not TOB. Even Logos only has this version in an expensive package--i.e., not as a separate module. I really like the conservative translation philosophy reflected in TOB, so it would really help me and other consultants working in francophone countries.

• Like 5

I appreciate that Accordance now has two French Bibles (I think they had only one when I purchased Accordance last year) and even 1 Haitian Creole Bible. In my Bible translation work in francophone countries, I've found great value in Traduction Œcuménique de la Bible (TOB). Is there any possibility of getting the rights to add that to Accordance? I miss having access to so many French Bibles in BibleWorks, but I've found ways to get many of them back, but not TOB. Even Logos only has this version in an expensive package--i.e., not as a separate module. I really like the conservative translation philosophy reflected in TOB, so it would really help me and other consultants working in francophone countries.

I also generally appreciate the TOB. And it's a little unfortunate that the only French language Bibles in Accordance for the moment are either Louis Second or various revisions of that text—even though I must say that my preferred French version is, by far, the Segond révisée ("à la Colombe"), that Accordance sells. A module in Accordance that I use constantly! Thank you Accordance!

All that being said, I wouldn't encourage Accordance to make the TOB available as a ressource for the simple reason that it's currently being taken under consideration for a major revision by the Association oecuménique de recherche biblique (AORB). As I've mentioned in a previous post, a revision of the Bible en français courant was undertaken in 2015 and completed last fall. It should be coming out later this year. Although nothing seems to be official, the revision of the TOB will no doubt get under way once the new Français courant comes out. Given that the TOB will also be updating and adding to its already extensive notes and introductory material, I would guess that a new TOB could be expected in the next 5-7 years, perhaps slightly more. That is, if the AORB decides to go in that direction. That seems like a long time from a user's viewpoint, but it would be a failry short life expectancy for an Accordance module, and probably not a very good investment.

Of course, if Accordance wanted to undertake that effort and make the TOB available in 2019, I would certainly buy it!  :)

If you're interested in seeing what the updated TOB might look like, you can download the letter to the Galatians, which just came out this month:

https://www.unitechretienne.org/images/Semaine_2018/semaine_2019/Galates2019.pdf

I too miss the variety of translations that BW offered. I've considered converting some of the French versions (TOB, BJ) to Accordance for strictly personal use. But I imagine that would be a pretty major undertaking. If anyone has tried that and can say otherwise, I'm all ears!

Donald Cobb

Aix-en-Provence, France

• Like 3

I too miss the variety of translations that BW offered. I've considered converting some of the French versions (TOB, BJ) to Accordance for strictly personal use. But I imagine that would be a pretty major undertaking. If anyone has tried that and can say otherwise, I'm all ears!

The problem, is that Accordance don't let the user do a verse mapping as it is necessary. Logos do and BW, the Word Project (OSIS) etc. 

Only the import of the Bible is not difficult, but a 100% verse mapping accuracy is not possible today, except for the KJV verse mappings.

Also it is today not possible to import the Footnotes linked to the Bibles. Which is possible in Logos.

As you follow my posts here in the forum, you'll see I prefer much more Bibles done by OakTree for Accordance. Second: better options to import Imported Bibles (User Bibles).

OakTree says always it needs a lot of time to get the licensing. Mmmh I don't believe that because others get often the license a shot while after the release. Anyway if OakTree had started years ago to get license then they were now in Accordance, even if to get a license need 2 years. But they strictly won't. I'm still an advocate for more Bibles in other languages but it seems the "international thinking" has not arrived in their head.

Greetings

Fabian

If anyone has tried that and can say otherwise, I'm all ears!

Export the Bible in BW as rtf. Copy-paste it in a Word processor like BBEdit for Mac or Notepad++ for Windows. Change the Bible book names to an Accordance acceptable format. like Jas to James, Php to Phil, Phm to Philem, Jud to Jude (to distinguish from Judith) etc. The pattern Bible for the verse mapping must have all the books which you want to import, otherwise you'll get an error message. For Ökumenische/Catholic Bibles you must use such a Bible with Macc, Sirach etc. Check if you are on MacOS Roman, if not switch to it except you use non MacOS Roman characters. Save it as txt. Import it in Accordance with a verse mapping which is most exactly to the one you want to import it. Add a list with the alternate book names, if you prefer the French book names. Then open the Bible as parallel with the verse mapping you have chosen and go through the whole Bible by clicking on the next chapter arrow. If you see a difference between the imported Bible and the one in parallel you have to tweak the User Bible. Then the same by clicking the next book arrow, and one verse back (to check the last chapter if this is also correct). Then open the Bible where the verse mapping came from and do the user Bible in parallel. Same steps as before. 

That was short the steps. Best you use to Regex search and replace for faster results. 

BBEdit  (Grep search checked) and Notepad++ (Regex search checked). It can be good if you check also "Entire Word"

search:    replace:

^Jud      Jude

The ^ indicates at the beginning of a line, so the Jud(e) in the text don't change. Very necessary, I've lost many hours until I know this, to correct the text which was corrupted after a simple search and replace (Bibles in ASCII characters).

Greetings

Fabian

Tim: I would love since years if you make a Video how to prepare and import Imported Bibles. I wonder why you asked for Ideas, I had a lot but I know also Accordance has to grown in multiple areas to make a Video. 

• Like 2

Thank you Fabian for these tips on how to import. I think the two Bibles I would be most interested in importing from BW would be the TOB and the Bible de Jérusalem, both of which have the apocryphal books. So I assume that would mean using the verse scheme of NRSV, for instance. But the process does look a little daunting for someone who is only mildly computer savvy, like me...

DC

• 2 months later...

I saw in the library there are two different versions. One had the Daniel 3:25-100 in Daniel 3 the other has it as a separate part.

I would prefer the one which Daniel 3 goes to 100.

Greetings

Fabian

• 3 years later...